Chapter 40

Two hours had passed and the group was still out, searching for Laxus. Instead of traveling by train, the team walked every step in the blazing heat.

In fact, it seemed like the journey was lasting forever because of the gruelling heat from the sun. Natsu was groaning on and on about how tired, and hungry, he was while Wendy was sweating (though, she was not the only one) -- causing her blue hair to stick to her skin like glue.

"Maybe I should take over." You suggested, "You know, so Natsu and Wendy don't have to do all the work."

"That's quite alright, (Y/N)." Erza looked over her shoulder at you, a small smile showing on her face.

"But-"

"These two will be fine." She assured you, slapping the fire dragon slayer on the back of the head. "Ow!" Natsu shouted. "Isn't that right, Natsu?" Erza asked in a stern voice, "You'll be fine, won't you?"

"Y-Yeah."

You weren't at all convinced since Natsu began grumbling to himself. What about Wendy? You thought, noticing that Erza left the sky dragon slayer out of the discussion and only questioned Natsu.

Though, whether this was intentional or unintentional, you did not know.

Knowing Erza, you knew she wouldn't change her mind any time soon and with the sun cooking your skin, you didn't feel like fighting her (neither verbally nor physically). So, you decided to let the subject drop.

"We're getting close, Erza-san." Wendy informed, wiping sweat off of her forehead with the back of her hand.

"Great!" Freed said in a low voice, "Once I find out who this vile person is, I'll show them the true power of my Dark Éciture for kidnapping Laxus!"

You looked at the angry expression on his face and you noticed the anger in his voice. He must really care about Laxus. You mused in your head. I wonder what kind of person he's like. You knew you had some kind of connection to the blond -- the vision you had previously was proof -- but you didn't know what it was. There was still so much missing, so much you didn't know and couldn't access.

That's why on this mission, you have two goals: (1) find and rescue Laxus, and (2) figure out your connection to him.

Meanwhile, Laxus was unconscious once again. His strength needed to be replenished because it does take quite the amount of energy to fuel the negative emotions that humans possess such as anger, hatred, fear, and depression. All of which Laxus had felt recently, if not all at once.

He's emotionally tired.

And his nightmares are always about you.

"(Y/N)! (Y/N)! (Y/N)!" Laxus screamed your name as he bursted into the guild's infirmary. Upon seeing you lying in one of the beds, he immediately rushed over to your side. "(Y/N), please be okay." He pleaded, staring at your sleeping self.

An assassin who used Guns Magic was sent to kill Laxus, aiming straight for his head and hoping for an instant kill.

However, you were hit instead. Freaking out over hitting the wrong person, the assassin fled the scene.

It all happened so fast.

One minute you and Laxus were sitting on the edge of a cliff, looking down at Magnolia, and the next you were shoving him aside which put you in the path of the bullet.

All he heard was a thud and the rustling of leaves before he turned his head to the side and saw blood coming from your head.

"(Y/N)!" He screamed bloody murder at the sight of you, his loud voice scaring off the population of birds nearby.

It shouldn't have happened.

Why didn't you let him die?

If he was killed, then you wouldn't be suffering like this?

Why did you value his life over your own?

Although, according to Porlyusica, you would be fine. The bullet didn't get that far into your skull and was removed, but you are now in a coma.

Not even the grumpy, old lady knew when you would wake up.

Ever since day one, he has returned to your side with the hope that you will open your eyes. Even though he is emotionally unstable on the inside, he refuses to show it on the outside.

Yet, it's quite obvious that something's wrong.

He no longer acts like himself.

The hardcore, tough guy, "doesn't seemingly care about anything" bad boy (yet a good one) is no longer there. The Laxus that the guild now sees is a male who greets everybody when he enters and sits down and talks to his fellow guildmates (mainly Freed, Evergreen, and Bickslow).

At first, it was unusual, but the guild has gotten used to the routine, "Mornin' everybody!"

Makarov is extremely worried about his grandson, but does so discreetly.

Seven months go by before you finally wake up and Laxus is right there when you do. However, when he imagined you waking up, he never thought you'd say,

"Do I know you?"

Everything goes dark as the multiple emotions flood his system. Relief instantly turns into dread and dispair, and his shortness of breath doesn't help either.

And then it all starts over from the beginning.

His heart rate tends to accelerate when he's unconscious or asleep in his captivity due to the fact that he has the same nightmare over and over again.

It's like a broken record.

One that he wished would stop.

"Just a little longer." His captor hummed, feeling the overwhelming strength in his body. "You've made this man very happy, Laxus Dreyar."

Then voices were heard.

"You sure this is the place?"

"Yeah."

"So Laxus is inside?"

"Yep."

"So, they're here for Laxus?" The man hummed, thinking. "Well, I simply can't let them take him. I'll have no choice." He glanced at the unconscious wizard, "I think he's given me enough power. Time to test it out." With that being said, he smirked, feeling entirely confident in himself.

And that's when he began to transform.

Laxus' grief would benefit this man greatly and it would put Fairy Tail at a major disadvantage.

A long battle is up ahead and a tough decision has to be made soon.

What will be the end result?