Mini Side Story (AU): Texting After a Breakup (Laxus x Reader)

12:45 a.m.

Your phone vibrated, signaling a notification. The device lit up with brightness, causing your (e/c) eyes to readjust to the new lighting. Since you weren't asleep and probably wouldn't be asleep for another three hours, you grabbed the phone in order for you to have something to do instead of stare into the darkness that is your bedroom.

Not bothering to look at the notification on lock screen (it being second-hand nature to automatically unlock your phone), you saw that a text message was sent to you due to the icon, but you disregarded who sent the text and what the text said.

When you typed in your password (or unlocked it by drawing a pattern, whichever you prefer), you swiped down the notification bar and saw a name that you would not rather be reminded of now (even though, this person was who you had been thinking about all day).

There in your notification bar was a text message from your ex-boyfriend:

LAXUS

You had officially broken up with him on campus earlier today and now you couldn't sleep. It wasn't the fact that you were feeling guilty that resulted in your current insomnia; your insomnia was caused by emotional damage - a college heartbreak, if you will.

Should I read it? You thought, contemplating whether or not you should spend the time to read his text, much less reply to it. After several seconds of staring at your phone and biting your bottom lip until it bled, you finally tapped on the message and was able to see the whole text.

Laxus: (Y/N), I'm really sorry. Can we talk about this, please?

You stared at the message. Should you reply? Several minutes of contemplating passed before another text was sent.

Laxus: I want you back, (Y/N).

Your eyebrows knitted together after reading that text and before you knew it, you were typing away.

(Y/N): You wouldn't have to get me back if you had just been a good boyfriend.

You barely had time to put your phone down before Laxus replied.

Laxus: Guess I deserved that one, but I really do want to make it up to you.

And thus began an hour long conversation by text.

(Y/N): I think you've done enough damage for one lifetime.

Laxus: Look, you have every right to be furious with me and to hate my guts, but I just want you to know that I really like you and I regret everything that happened.

Laxus: And I'd like it if we could start over.

(Y/N): I don't think so. Honestly, I don't know what to believe from you anymore. You lost all of my trust when you made me the other woman. I thought we had something special, something that you and I shared, but it seems like I was wrong. You played me, Laxus, and now you expect me to take you back just because you're starting to feel guilty?

(Y/N): Or is it because I dumped you and you just want a chance to dump me?

Laxus: Guess I deserved those too . .

(Y/N): That's the first thing you've said that's actually true.

Laxus: I'm not lying about wanting to get back together with you. I wasn't happy with Jenny, I don't even know why I stayed with her in the first place, but then I met you. I know I should've done things the right way from the get-go, but I'm willing to start now.

(Y/N): I'm sorry, Laxus, but I think it's already too late. I better get some rest.

(Y/N): And I think it'd be best if we kept our distance from each other. For both our sakes.

Laxus: Wait, (Y/N), I'm not done! I'm not giving up!

You closed your eyes and sighed after reading the message. You were internally conflicted about whether or not you should give him another chance. Could you even trust him? After all, he was already dating someone when you two started going out, making you "the other woman." What if this was another trick?

He probably told Jenny the same stuff to get her to go out with him. And look what happened.

Laxus had already ruined not only your reputation around campus, but he ruined your trust in him. That's something that may never return and if it did, it will take a long time to regain.

Nevertheless, you do have an English class at nine a.m. tomorrow (or later today), so you should probably be sleeping. Going back to your phone's home screen, you sucessfully locked your phone, making your room pitch black once again. You curled up in bed, attempting to make yourself comfortable so that you could finally go to sleep.

And that's when your phone vibrated.

Laxus: I'm gonna fight for you, (Y/N), whether you like it or not.

You, of course, didn't bother to pick up your phone (or look at the message, for that matter). So when your phone started vibrating more frequently with what you assumed were more texts from Laxus, you turned your back to your phone and ignored it.

Laxus: I won't give up. I'm gonna make this right, I promise!

Laxus: I promise you, (Y/N), I'll earn your trust back!

Laxus: I love you.

Laxus: And I'll do whatever it takes to get you to be my girlfriend again.

After that message, the texts stopped, but you were already asleep.

Sweet dreams.

. . .

A/N: So, what did you guys think? Decided to write this 'cause I thought it'd be fun. It's still sad like in the actual plot of the main story (with your relationship with Laxus, that is), but it's not as sad.

I am curious though, what would you do in this situation? Should (Y/N) give Laxus another chance?

And for those of you who didn't quite understand what Laxus did, here's some backstory:

Laxus was dating Jenny (yes, Jenny Realight | I think that's how you spell her last name, not sure if it's Realight or Relight) when you transferred into their university. You met Laxus by chance on campus, not knowing he was already in a relationship because he didn't tell you (and he was really good at hiding it), and over the span of about three months, you two started dating. Long story short, you eventually found out that he was dating someone else WAY before he started dating you and you dumped him.

By the way, I'm thinking about doing a side story for Sting since this is a Laxus x Reader x Sting story. Don't know what it's going to be about yet, but we'll see.