Chapter 44

"CHEERS TO THE RECOVERY AND RESCUE OF LAXUS!"

After Makarov shouted a toast, the guild erupted in cheers and laughter.

Laxus had been captured by a creature, meaning that it was not human, that feeds off of human misery and emotional pain. Levy and Freed have been doing an abundant amount of research on the topic, but have yet to discover the specific name of this so-called creature.

For now, Laxus is to be kept in high spirits which proved to be difficult, especially when he couldn't be near the girl he loves.

It has been a whole month since his rescue and Laxus is finally healed. Makarov is throwing a party for his grandson with lots of his favorite things -- food, drinks, music -- but one thing is missing.

His most important and favorite thing, or person, on Earthland: (Y/N).

You are indeed attending the party as a loyal member of Fairy Tail, but you are not associating yourself with Laxus.

After all, he is only just a friend, right?

He watched you laugh at something Natsu said, and it was probably something stupid, but deep down he wished that he could make you laugh again.

Watching you, knowing that you two weren't together was torture to his heart.

If there was a way to fix everything, he'd gladly do it and take the chance.

Despite everyone's attempts to put Laxus in a good mood, it hardly did a thing. So, they simply settled on not making his mood worse.

Which means not telling him that you were going on a date with Sting.

Two days after the party was your date with Sting. You had no idea where he was taking you, but he told you to dress casual.

The only thing you knew for sure was that he was picking you up at eight o'clock at night. You were extremely nervous because you had no idea what was going on.

It also annoyed you slightly. This is one of the reasons you don't like known surprises. Unknown surprises are fine because you don't know about them,  but when someone says, "it's a surprise," it rubs you the wrong way.

After hours of anxiously awaiting the unknown, someone knocked on your front door. You took a deep breath before unlocking and opening the door, revealing your date who was already grinning from ear to ear.

"Hey, (Y/N)-san!" Sting grinned at you and waved.

"Hi, Sting." You replied, "So, where are you taking me?"

"Instead of telling you, why don't I show you, M'lady?"

In a very graceful manner, Sting bowed like a true gentleman and offered you a hand. You had to admit, you felt like royalty right now.

After securely locking the front door to your residency, you let Sting guide you with your hand in his -- fingers intertwined. The cool, crisp nighttime air felt lovely against your skin. It served to cool your nerves, easing your nervousness.

You were led into a Magnolia forest where there was a clearing and a small pond in which the moonlight reflected nicely through the clear water.

Fireflies were in jars, with several small holes in the top for air, which were circled around the pond and illuminated light to the clearing.

Next to the pond, but not nearly close enough to fall in, was a blanket and as you came closer you realized that it was a picnic that had been set up.

This was truly a sight you had never seen before and you'd be lying if you said it didn't touch your heart.

"Sting, you didn't have to do all of this." You mumbled, not looking at him because you were slightly embarrassed from the attention and affection. "I would've been fine with hanging out and eating pizza or something?"

It was true. You didn't need a whole lot to be satisfied. You just wanted to be in that person's presence.

"But you're worth it, (Y/N)-san!" Sting's sudden declaration surprised you. You turned your head to look at him, but he was staring at the starry sky with a content smile on his face. "You deserve the best because you make me want to be the best me I can be. Without you, I would probably still be the arrogant jerk I was at the Grand Magic Games. You woke me up and made me see the error in my ways. You're the first person, a girl nonetheless, who has said that to me." He finally turned his head to look you in the eyes, "Thank you, (Y/N)."

You were speechless. You had no idea that you had, had that kind of effect on Sting. Sure, you remember telling him off during your fight with him at the Grand Magic Games and at the Grand Ball he seemed to have changed, but you thought it had to do with Natsu.

After all, Sting adored and looked up to Natsu.

"I-, uh, well-" You didn't know what to say and you found yourself becoming flustered. "N-No problem, I guess. ."

Your date only chuckled at your flustered state; he found it to be cute. "Well, let's eat!" He exclaimed, gesturing to the picnic.

You two sat on the picnic blanket and Sting began going through the basket. One by one, he pulled out your favorite food, drink, and dessert.

"How did you-"

"I checked it out in Sorcerer Weekly and, to be one hundred percent sure, I asked Phoebe." Sting admitted this while doing his best not to look at you because if he did, he knew he'd blush.

Once the food was out in the open and the plates, napkins, silverware, and cups were ready to be used, you wasted no time in making your own plate and preparing yourself a drink.

This was all despite the fact that you really had no taste for human food anymore, seeing as you're still getting used to not being human.

You took your first bite before you realized that Sting was not eating -- he was just staring at you.

"Is there a problem?" You asked, slightly irritated.

He was interfering with your late night dinner time.

Sting shyly looked away from you, opting to stare at the picnic basket instead, with a blush rising to his cheeks.

"Well, I had no idea how to make this stuff, so I asked Yukino for help." He admitted, "I also found cookbooks . . I just wanted to make sure it came out okay."

He cooked this? You were completely surprised by the series of events tonight. Sting was doing so much for you, trying to get your undivided attention, and to be honest, he was gaining it.

He was making you feel so special and it was only the first date.

"It's delicious, Sting."

He was really pleased with your response. His eyes seemed to sparkle and he grinned similar to Natsu's signature one. With your satisfied response, he happily fixed his own plate and ate to his heart's content.

If only you knew that this would lead to internal conflict that you would have to sort out on your own.

------------------------

A/N: I know it's been awhile. I just haven't felt like writing. I'm not sure if any of you saw it or followed me at the time, but previously (before I started this book, I think) I posted about leaving Wattpad. However, I changed my mind and continued to write (creating this book in the process). Now, I think what I'll do is I'll work to finish all of my ongoing books (because I don't like leaving stuff unfinished) and simply take a break from writing. Just a heads up!