Chapter 42

Laxus heard faint shouting and he slowly came to -- regaining his consciousness. At first, the room appeared empty because he didn't see anybody.

But then he heard a cough and a gasp.

He weakly turned his head to the right and he couldn't believe his eyes. (Y/N)? He saw you being help up by his captor, his hand tightly around your throat. What is she doing here? His instincts started kicking in upon seeing you in danger.

He began struggling against his restraints.

No.

He didn't know why you were there (seeing as you have no memory of him) and he didn't know how you got there, but there was one thing he did know.

You were in danger.

Regardless of whether you remembered him or not, he remembered you. He knows that he loves you even if you don't love him anymore.

C'mon. C'mon. C'mon.

He gritted his teeth as his attempt to break free was futile. The only thing he could do is watch helplessly as you are choked and his captor talks to you. Though, the man is too far away for Laxus to hear clearly.

"He's awake." The seemingly human man before you smirked, "Perfect."

Your hands were gripped to his in an attempt to pry his fingers off of your neck -- an attempt that was only working due to your inhuman strength.

In the midst of your struggle, you glanced at Makarov's grandson in his torturous state. He was already staring back at you with a look of despair and as your eyes locked with his, a shimmer of hope flashed across his face.

You don't know why, but you knew you had to save him (and not just because he is Makarov's grandson).

"With you suffering, I will be the most powerful being on the planet." You managed to pry his hand off of your neck, but it was countered by the other hand gripping your head, covering your eyes in the process, and slamming your head against the wall. "You're the ultimate key."

Key? You wondered what on earth this thing as talking about when you noticed it: he was getting stronger.

"As long as I have Laxus, I'm unstoppable."

"At least here his misery benefits one of us."

"You're the ultimate key."

It was as if a lightbulb illuminated in your head.

You figured it out.

This man, or creature, was using Laxus' misery and pain to fuel his magic power. He fed off of it like it was his life source. And it appears that watching you get beat up is the source of Laxus' pain right now, so you must be close to him for him to care about your well-being.

Now that you knew, you just had to fight back.

"Unhand her!"

You heard a low grunt and the hand that was gripping your head so tight was gone and you could see.

Erza and the others came to your rescue, and the enemy was on his knee in front of you with a sword straight through his right shoulder blade.

"You alright, (Y/N)?" Phoebe asked.

"Yeah," You nodded, "I'm fine and I know how to defeat him." You moved to walk past him, but the injured man gripped your ankle.

"Not so fast." He growled.

Sucking your teeth in annoyance, you glared down at the now sorry excuse for a villain. "Insolent insect." You spat, about to attack him when you were stopped by your friends.

"Let us handle him." Erza declared, running toward you. "You go save Laxus!"

You didn't know how she knew that saving Laxus was part of the plan (or if she even knew), but nevertheless, it worked in your favor. You nodded, kicked the man attempting to hold you hostage in the face, and ran toward the glass tube-like structure where Laxus was held.

"It's going to be okay." You said to him, not entirely sure if he could even hear you. "I'm going to get you out of there."

You stepped back far enough away so that you could try and break the glass with your magic. "Here goes nothing." You sighed, "Storm Dragon's Roar!"

Of course rescuing Laxus was not going to be that easy. Your magic attack bounced right off of the glass and came back at you. However, you ducked down before you got hit by your own magic (since, as a Slayer, you can't eat your own magic).

"So that didn't work." You mumbled to yourself, standing back up. There must be an enchantment around Laxus preventing magic from damaging the glass. Therefore, you're going to have to break the glass without magic.

You looked around, your (e/c) eyes scanning the surrounding area for something hard and/or sharp enough to break glass.

And you're in a laboratory, so it shouldn't be that hard.

You do see a silver, metal chair and the voice in your head is telling you to use it with all of the strength you possess.

So you do.

You drag the chair toward Laxus, the piece of furniture scraping against the floor which created a loud shrieking noise. That definitely see a attention toward you, but your friends made sure to keep the enemy occupied.

Once you were in front of the large glass, you mustered up all of the strength you had, lifted the chair, and smashed it against the glass. As expected, the glass shattered into pieces and flew in just about every direction -- including yours.

As you saw the glass coming toward you, instincts kicked in and you dropped the chair and used your arms to shield your face. You hissed as you felt a pinch and, soon after, a stinging pain.

Now, you had shards of glass in your arms and hands.

On the other hand, Laxus collapsed to the ground since, once the glass was broken, the fluids he was being held in flooded the room. Yet, the restraints were still embedded into his skin (there was nothing left to hold them up, so they too fell with Laxus).

He coughed for a few seconds before his eyes landed on you, who had fallen on her rear end. Wanting to make sure that you were okay, he crawled toward you while being careful not to make contact with the broken glass. He winced with every move due to the restraints digging into his flesh, but he made it to you.

You were examining your new injuries when you felt a shadow cast over you. Looking up, you saw Laxus leaning over you.

"Are you okay?" He asked in a soft voice, almost as if he was trying not to scare you.

"I should be asking you that." You replied, seeing how he has been the one who was locked up and tortured.

"I'm fine." He stated, "You're the one who's hurt."

"But you're the one who looks beat up and on their deathbed."

He chuckled at your remark, giving you a genuine smile - a smile that looked familiar to you. "Let me help you." Laxus insisted, reaching out to grab your hand.

He gently touched your bleeding hand when all of a sudden, you blacked out.