Chapter 38

Unconscious, yet still having a great amount of internal conflict, a man is kept in a large, glass tube. The tube is filled with an unknown liquid, though it looks like water, air bubbles appear beneath the male's nose which indicates that he's still alive and breathing.

Various needles were injected into the man's body (his arms and legs), which drained some sort of essence from the unmoving male. He looked like an actual lab experiment in the process of being tested on, the man's veins were pulsating all over his body. It looked quite painful and disturbing.

Yet, there's always an oddball.

"Look at him. So much pain and hurt from his trembling soul. He's going to make me so powerful."

______________

Everyone in Fairy Tail was shuffling around, preparing for several search parties to head out and scope Magnolia for the missing S-Class wizard.

You told Sting to go back to Sabertooth when he offered to help, stating, "He's a member of Fairy Tail. This is our responsibility." However, there was one thing that bothered you for the past week.

You've been a member of Fairy Tail for years -- since you were a child. So, how is it possible that everyone else seems to have memory or knowledge of him except you? You, at least, should have had one memory of him.

This bothered you and you were highly suspicious about the issue.

You couldn't help think more deeply into it as you interrogated the guild members who would have known him best: his team. According to the basic information they first gave you, you and Laxus were the exact same age (physically anyways).

How do you not have a single memory of him in the guild growing up?

The whole thing irritated you.

"Master said he wasn't in the best mental state." You recalled the old man's words, "Any ideas on what he was so upset about?"

The Thunder Legion gave each other a wary look as your questions became harder for them to answer without giving out information about your past with him. They understood that you were only trying to figure out how Laxus went missing, but you were barking up a tall and dangerous tree.

Yet you didn't know it.

"He, uh, . . . . h-he-" Freed stumbled on his words, scrambling his brain for a suitable answer.

"Girls!" Bickslow blurted out, causing his two teammates (and yourself) to flinch at the suddenness of his outburst.

"Girls?" You asked, curious as to what he meant.

"Y-Yeah, he was, uh, having problems with a . . girl." He kept it as nonspecific as he could without drawing suspicion from you.

"So he had a girlfriend?" You asked, causing the team to internally panic at your question.

That's when Happy's voice rang in your head:

"What do you mean 'who's Laxus'? He's your boyfriend!"

You remembered the incident quite clearly, but you could only laugh it off as a joke.

Or could you?

"(Y/N), what the heck? Quit playin' around. It ain't funny."

You remember his words and the expression on his face as well. And he looked pretty serious to you, but you would think that if you had a boyfriend that you would remember him or have some kind of memory with him, right?

"Y-Yeah!" Evergreen squeaked out.

"A girlfriend." Freed nodded, his body as stiff as a board.

"A girlfriend he had." Bickslow added, clearing his throat.

"What's her name?" You mumbled, still partly in your thoughts.

"Y-You know, (Y/N)," Evergreen attempted to end this interrogation once and for all. "I think we should head out and check the last place he was seen, don't you think?"

"Um, well, yes-"

"Great! Then we should get a move on it. Don't wanna waste precious time, now would we?"

You hesitantly nodded, having a strong feeling that they were hiding something from you. There was something that they didn't want you to know and while you're working on keeping your nose out of other people's business, the feeling of wanting to know was gnawing at your insides.

Who in the world was Laxus Dreyar's girlfriend?

And why won't Freed, Evergreen, and Bickslow tell you?

What are they hiding?

Master Makarov sent out small groups throughout Magnolia to search for Laxus. You and Phoebe were with the Thunder Legion because, unknown to you, the elderly man asked the others to watch over you and your forgotten memories.

You were in the exact same spot that Freed, Evergreen, and Bickslow said they last saw Laxus. The only thing that you managed to find was the blond's signature fur coat, which the Thunder Legion said he would never go anywhere without (unless it has been destroyed).

So now you can think of this as a kidnapping.

"Who would want to kidnap him?" You asked the group, thinking aloud. "Did he have any enemies?"

You watched as they, Phoebe included, exchanged looks. With the life we lived seven years ago, who wasn't our enemy. They all thought, though they didn't know that they possessed the same thought. Referring to their rebellious years prior to Laxus' expulsion from Fairy Tail, they were struck with a faint feeling of guilt.

"A lot of people." Freed said, finally breaking the silence. "Most people were scared of Laxus seven years ago."

"What happened to him seven years ago?" You asked.

"He was . . ." Evergreen paused, trying to find the right words. "Let's just say he definitely is a better person than he used to be." We all are, she thought afterwards.

"Okay, so, that doesn't help." You  sighed, "If everyone had a problem with him, then it's virtually impossible to narrow down a suspect."

"Could you track his scent?" Bickslow asked you, gesturing to the coat.

A lightbulb went off in your head and you grinned. "Bickslow, that's a great idea!" You exclaimed.

"Unless she gets her memories back." Freed grumbled low so that you couldn't hear, but Bickslow and Evergreen did.

"Oops." Bickslow whispered, "Sorry."

You guessed that they forgot that dragon slayers have a heightened sense of hearing along with the heightened sense of smell. Get my memories back? You wondered. What does that mean? Then Happy's voice resonates in your head.

"What do you mean 'who's Laxus'? He's your boyfriend!"

And then the blond makes an appearance.

"(Y/N), what the heck? Quit playin' around. It ain't funny."

In the back of your mind, you couldn't help but wonder and question something. There couldn't be any harm in asking, could there? Maybe the answer will be no, what happened earlier will be explained, and you can finally put this to rest.

Gathering up the courage and strength, you asked a jawdropping question.

"Am I . . . Laxus' girlfriend?"