10

Emily's POV:
   I was laying in bed staring at the ceiling. I was trying to sleep but reading Ali's diary made me think. Who was she writing about? Mermaid? She said that her mermaid is beautiful but doesn't know it, and that her mermaid has so much power over her. Who could that be? And it sounds like..she likes this girl. Makes me kinda mad. I thought Ali and I had something. Even if she didn't want to admit it. I closed my eyes and heard something fall in my room. I shot up and saw the blonde I'd been longing to see since she kissed me last.

Emily: "Ali?"

   She jumped and then sat at the foot of my bed.

Alison: "I missed you."

Emily: "Missed me? You're the one that's been gone all this time."

Alison: "You're mad."

Emily: "I'm upset. What happened to you?"

Alison: "I can't tell you."

Emily: "Of course you can't."

Alison: "I'm sorry."

Emily: "I thought you were dead. WE thought you were dead."

Alison: "But I'm not. Aren't you glad that I'm not?"

Emily: "I don't know."

Alison: "I remember writing this. You and me. At the kissing rock."

   She tucked a piece of hair behind her ear and glanced at me as she read the page.

Emily: "Who's Mermaid?"

Alison: "You really don't know?"

Emily: "No Ali. That's why I'm asking."

Alison: "It's you Em. You're the mermaid..my mermaid."

Emily: "Ali. The way you wrote about them..sounds like-"

Alison: "I'm in love with you."

Emily: "Y-yeah."

Alison: "I have to go."

Emily: "Of course you do."

   Ali leaned over and kissed my cheek and left. She placed her diary on my bedside table and disappeared. Next thing I remember it was morning.
   It felt like a dream. I sat up and looked around. My window was open and the book was where Ali set it. Was I really dreaming? Or am I just forgetting what really happened?