42

Emily's POV:
   Ali was cooking dinner for the family and I walked up behind her with my arms around her waist.

Alison: "Babe, don't even think about it."

Emily: "I wasn't gonna do anything. I just love  being around you. And I love holding you in my arms."

Alison: "Hmm...liar. But I love you."

   I kissed her cheek as we swayed back and forth. Ali concentrated on cooking as we swayed to the music she had playing. Just before the song ended, Ali asked me to go get the girls because dinner was done. I went up to Lily's room to tell her and Jenna dinner was ready. Before I opened the door I could hear them talking.

Jenna: "How much longer do we have to hide this?"

Lily: "Just a little bit longer. I know this is who I am. And I know you're the one I want to be with, but I want to make sure this lasts. It's only been a month or so. I don't want to tell my family and friends and get so excited and not have this work out, you know?"

Jenna: "Of course I do, and I understand that. I just don't want to hide you anymore. I want to be able to hug and kiss you in public. Hold your hand if I want. I want to brag about you to everyone. This is way too early to be saying this, but I love you Lily. I have since we were kids. I've dreamed of this, I don't want to lose it."

Lily: "And you won't, I promise."

   They stopped talking so I knew exactly what they were doing. I decided to go use the bathroom and give them a second before I barged in. When I was done, I yelled from the hall to let them know I was coming. I knocked on the door and opened it to see Lily sitting on her beanbag chair and Jenna on the bed. Wow, they move faster than Ali and I ever did.

Emily: "Dinner's ready girls."

Jenna: "Thanks Mrs.Fields, we'll be down in a second."

Emily: "Okay, Lily please tell Grace too."

Lily: "Grace is at grandpa's."

Emily: "Oh that's right. Well, don't be too long, you know how mom gets."

   I closed the door and stood off to the side for a little.

Jenna: "That was close."

Lily: "It wasn't THAT close, but I agree."

   I heard them go silent again so I tiptoed down the stairs and yelled for them again. Ali was going to be super excited to hear this later. Or maybe I don't tell her? It was a total invasion of privacy to listen to them but Lily wouldn't tell us anything. I just want her to be happy. You know what...I'll tell Alison but we won't talk to Lily unless she's ready to tell us.
   When the girls came down they sat across from each other as Ali and I sat at the ends of the table. I heard the oven timer go off so I went to go get the garlic bread out of it. When I came back into the dining room with a plate full of bread, I saw something moving under the table. It was Jenna's foot rubbing up against Lily's leg. This is exactly how my dinner went with Maya and my parents. Only..my mom wasn't okay with it. I was having major PTSD, but it also felt like a sign from Maya. After all of these years she's here with me.
   After dinner Jenna left and Lily walked her out. I definitely knew how that went too. When Lily came back in she kissed us and thanked us for the meal and went up to bed. I told Alison everything and she did nothing but say "awe". She wanted to go talk to Lily but I told her we needed to wait until Lily was ready to tell us if she wanted to. It took a ton of convincing but we agreed. I just don't want this to go on for too long and Lily loses herself.