36

Ten Years Later....
Alison's Pov:
Today is my 36th birthday and the first day the twins start high school. I feel so very old and yet so young at the same time. Emily and I have been going strong for about ten to twelve years. We've been married for awhile. I couldn't be happier with my life. Except recently we've been fighting a lot. Over really stupid stuff too. Maybe it's just the nerves from the girls starting high school. This is around the age the confusing and painful things started for Emily and I. Especially Emily. It must be like dejavu for her, which is very understandable.
When I woke up Emily had just brought up a tray of breakfast with a single rose in a vase on it. I smiled as I sat up.

Alison: "You didn't have to do this baby."

Emily: "I wanted to."

   Emily leaned down and pecked my lips. I smiled wide and began to eat the amazing breakfast Emily made me. After I finished I took the tray downstairs to see Lily and Grace eating as well. I walked over to them and kissed their heads.

Alison: "Are you ready for your first day of high school?"

Lily: "I'm kinda nervous actually."

Alison: "Why's that?"

Grace: "We see what high schools like on tv and in books, what if it's even worse?"

Emily: "Baby don't worry about that. High school is really fun and a great learning experience. You learn who you are and you learn about who others are too."

   I could feel Emily glaring at me as she finished her sentence. What was that about? "Finding out who others are too"? Is this a crack about who I used to be? Because if it is..that was over twenty years ago. I'm not that person anymore and she knows that. Whatever.

Alison: "Alright finish eating and get cleaned up. The bus will be here shortly."

   The girls did as they were told, as they always did, and said their goodbyes. They hugged and kissed Emily and I. And off they went to high school. I turned to Emily and gave her the look.

Alison: "Okay what was that?"

Emily: "What was what?"

Alison: "Telling the girls high school is a place to find out about who they are and others."

Emily: "What about it?"

Alison: "Was that a jab at me?"

Emily: "Not everything is about Alison!"

Alison: "What is your problem? Do we always have to fight? That's all we do anymore."

Emily: "No Ali, that's all you do anymore. You pick fights with me all the time."

Alison: "No I don't Emily. I admit sometimes my mood changes and then it affects your mood too. And then we just bicker the rest of the day. For that I'm sorry, I really am. I lov-"

Emily: "Don't. Don't even use that to get out of this fight."

Alison: "I'm not. I was just stating my feelings for you."

Emily: "...."

Alison: "Can you say something?"

Emily: "I..I want a divorce."