Chapter One

I sighed in relief as I plopped down onto an old, beat up couch. I wiped the sweat off of my forehead, gasping for air. I tried to catch my breath and steady my rapidly, beating heart. I was exhausted!

The reason why I was like this? Because, giants are real.. Now before you protest against this and start believing I am crazy, hear me out. Don't you ever wonder why a lot of people are terrified of midnight?

Now, lemme introduce myself. I'm Mavis. I am living out on my own in a old, abandoned building. I am fifteen years old, and giants are after me..

It all started when I was twelve, living  in a orphanage at the time. I saw something, I shouldn't have. It was midnight, I shouldn't have left the bed, I should never have let my curiosity get the best of me, I should NEVER have looked out the window. Because what I have saw.... Saw me too.

They say, humans aren't suppose to be knowledgeable of the Giants existence, nor their presents. That whoever knows about them, goes away.

I was suppose to be taken away. But instead, I ran away from the orphanage since a giant can easily and quietly, surprisingly by their size, stealthily open a window and take anyone of their choosing. They could have taken me when I was asleep in the middle of the night and I couldn't do anything about it, because it would be too late.

So I ran away and found this place, they don't know where I'm at now. But sometimes they find me when I'm outside and I manage to weave my way out of their reach and out of sight every time. Not to brag.

When I mean they, I mean the Giants. They say they wouldn't hurt me or kill me, but I have trusting issues. Every time I run into those bozos, I run. I know your probably thinking
"she can't outrun a giant! They're bigger and faster than her!"
Heh, well you just have to know what you're doing to escape a giant. Sharp turns and corners are your friend. Naturally, I'm running through the small city and if I run down an alley, they can't get me. They're too big and can't reach me. They know they have to try to be stealthy or they'll wake up the whole neighborhood.

If you turn sharp corners, it'll cut them off. You also just have to know your way around the place.
They are out every night, in search of me. Or..... Something else....

I don't understand why are they always out in the city, eating people? Killing/kidnapping? I don't know! All I do know is I can't let them catch me.

Usually, there's two of them searching. One with blonde hair, ending right at the top of his blue eyes. I learned his name was Kent from his older brother. Dash, Dash has black, neatly brushed hair. He's the tallest, compared to his brother.

I don't get why do they keep chasing after some fifteen year old and not focus on their own lives. I try to be back at the old house before it gets dark, to run less of a chance of being caught.

I laid back onto the couch, closing my eyes. At this point, sometimes, I'll have nightmares about them.

~~Dream~~

Darkness, was the only thing that surrounded me, I felt my heart beating in my chest. Why though? I felt like I should be alert, like I was suppose to be watching for something. My ears finally started to be able to pick up sound.
I heard crickets chirping, every once in a while maybe even a little bird's chirp as well. Where am I? I looked around, sight finally coming in. I saw trees, and more trees, the Forrest? A little hard to tell but this looks kinda like the Forrest near the city.

It was dark and very ominous, I heard a coyote's howl, making me flinch back in reaction. I may know what Forrest I am in, but what part? The woods here is very big and you can easily get lost in. I took a few steps forward, beginning to hug myself. I was very uncomfortable, it just had that type of atmosphere. Which way was the town? I scanned the surroundings.