Chapter Thirty-Seven

I pushed a piece of scrambled egg around with my fork. Resting my head in my hand. It was a little early in the morning, still drizzling outside, the little boom of the roaring thunder had woken me up, and I couldn't go back to sleep.
Maddie still had my bed, I was trying to give her as much time to sleep as I could. Riley was also up, having breakfast next to me, we were the first two up so we had the booth to ourselves.

"Kent, can you work on the portal today? I have to go pick up somethings from the store." Dash quickly walked by, pulling on his red jacket. Making me set my fork down and turn my attention to him.

"Out in the rain?" Kent raised an eyebrow.

"It's suppose to slow down or stop at some point, whenever you can get a chance. It won't take long. We also have to attend meetings this week, so we won't have a lot of time to really do anything else." Dash tugged at his jacket to try to straighten it out.

Kent shrugged. "Alright then." He sighed, getting up to go put his plate away.

"You're going out?" I asked.

Dash glanced at me, then back down to fix his jacket. "Yes, I won't be gone long."

I've always wanted to see more of the giant world. I've never been anywhere around here. I looked over to Riley and back to him.
"Can we go with you?" I asked him, including Riley as well, I would like for him to come with so I wouldn't do it alone.

"Uh.." He thought about it. "I don't know about that. I wouldn't want any of you to get hurt or into trouble."

I crossed my arms, rolling my eyes. "Do you remember who you're talking to?"

"Do you remember who had to save you last time dealing with our kind?" Kent joined in when he walked by, picking up on the conversation.

Dash sighed. "Fine, If you two really want to go, then you would have to stay with me and it may be best to not be seen by anybody. I do not need to draw attention to ourselves."

"Draw attention? Haven't they seen a human before?" I glanced in between Riley and Dash.

"Actually, no, a lot of them haven't. Keep in mind, only a few of us has a portal to cross to the other world. They would have to be very well trusted to have one. It's illegal to have humans for show, like a zoo or something. So seeing humans is not a normal everyday thing." Kent answered, putting his hands on his hips.

"Oh.." I glanced down and back up.

Dash started to head for the door, fixing the back of his jacket by his neck. "If you two can promise me that you won't cause any trouble or make me look ridiculous, then you may go."

I had completely put the fork down and had stood up at this point. Riley stood up as well, taking his time. He didn't seem as thrilled as I was but he was not protesting so he must have wanted to go.

Dash set his hand onto the door. "You two can go ahead to the door, I'll see you there in a moment. I have to get something." He walked out.

"Let's go, Riley." I went down the human stairs of the booth and heading for the door.

"Okaaay." Riley sighed, trailing down behind me.

Getting past the cafeteria doors, we kinda sped walked down the hall to try to get to the door at a decent time.

"So, have you been out in their world before?" I asked Riley.

"Umm, yeah. Like one time, it's rare for us to ever go out into this world much. Dash is scared something would happen. So normally the only time we ever go out into their world, would be going out into their yard just to get to the portal to go to ours."

"Ah.." I nodded.

Right as we were about half way down the hall, Dash was already catching up to us.
"Alright, about ready to go?" He looked down to us.

"Sure." Riley answered.

Dash brought himself back down to our level, holding out both of his hand for us. Riley was the first to get on, I took a second, but stepped on anyways. Still didn't like being handled! I doubt that will ever be something I will ever 'like,' or 'enjoy,' but it is something I would have to deal with.

We were brought up to his chest pocket, Riley looked over to me.
"Ladies first." His smiled held a little bit of playfulness.
I crossed my arms, then shoved him so he would fall in first.

"Eh eh, easy, Mavis." Dash corrected me. "You don't need to end up hurting him."

"Yeah! That's a real joke!" Riley yelled out from inside the pocket.

Dash rolled his eyes, awaiting me.
I jumped in, probably landing a little bit on Riley.
"Ow, Mavis." Riley laughed at his own pain, pushing me off.

I fell to the other side. "What? Did I hurt you?" I smiled smugly.

"Shut up." He pushed himself up to a more comfortable position. I could hear the door opening and barely feel the cool breeze from outside. I could hear the rain that fell from the sky and onto the land. The pit pat of the rain hitting the side walk near the building. Dash's footsteps, going in an unknown direction. I heard a different sound, then the sound of a car door shutting. I tried to get up onto my feet, at first, my foot slipped from the sleek texture of his jacket, may have accidentally kicked Riley, but I knew it didn't hurt.

I gave him an apologetic look. Trying again, I was able to pull myself up, grabbing the opening of the pocket and looking out to see where we were.
We were in a vehicle, I was about pushed back down into the pocket from the seat belt covering the opening.

I was about to sit back down for the ride, until light poured back in. I could hardly look up in time for Dash to grab the back of my shirt, pulling me out.

"Ow ow ow ow, hair hair."

"Oh! I'm sorry!" He flipped his hand back over so he wasn't holding the back of my shirt, or hair..
He lowered me to the passenger seat. "I couldn't see what I was doing."
He reached back in to pull out Riley to bring him over. "Thought you would like to actually sit out instead of being suffocated by the seat belt." He sat him down next to me, reaching over to pull the seat belt over us.

Of course we weren't big enough to have the seat belt properly on us, but it was enough to at least have the bottom belt on the both of us, sharing the seat.

"Thanks." Riley thanked him, sitting back. I slowly sat down, getting behind the seat belt. I was a little excited to at least get out the house. Even if it is out in their world. It'll be a change, not so sure if it'll be a pleasant one though.