Chapter Six

I felt as if I was spinning, flashes of the giant creatures ran through my mind. I was having another nightmare. I toss and turned, I felt fear, sadness, I saw blood. My breathing quickened, I squinted my eyes. I felt like I was falling, gravity pulling me down. I jumped up in a cold sweat, breathing heavily, clutching the blankets to me.  I looked over the room, almost forgetting where I was. "I gotta get out of here." I threw the blankets off, trying to run for the nightstand. I grabbed the bars that prevented me from falling over the edge and into the floor, still recovering the effects of sleep. I slid on my shoes, not bothering to even tie them. I rushed down the stairs and to the door. I grabbed the rope, giving it all the muscle I had in one pull which was very unnecessary since it opened pretty easily.  I poked my head out into the dim hall, it was late in the middle of the night.

I crept out, not sure what my plan is for finding an escape route. But I just hoped I would find something to play off of. I ran out into the hall way and followed it out into a main, huge room, I kept running until I managed to step onto my untied shoe laces, sending me onto the floor. I grunted when I made contact. Of course! I looked up to see a door, Could that be Dash's room?
Not wishing to get caught, I pulled myself back up and rushed to a wall and a little out of sight. I knelled down to tie my shoe laces in hope I would not trip again.

When I pulled the last knot, I jumped back up and ran into a random direction. This place is so big! It's like a maze, even for a giant. Unless they all normally have huge houses. I came to an end to an hall that split off to two directions. I ran down the left, finding shortly after, a very small set of stairs and a long ramp next to them. I was on the top of the stairs, seeing what was on the other side was a door out. Must be like a back door. Hardly ever used. I slid down the stairs and rushed towards the door, giving it one good hit without thinking. What was I even thinking?! If he has children running freely around, it would be stupid of him to give them easy access outside. I banged onto the door about two times before just giving up and sliding down onto the floor, leaning up on it.

What would I even do anyways if I were to get out. Giant realm, giant predators.. Not to mention how will I get back and what path do I take and not to forget if there's other giants out there that would actually hurt me. I sniffled, rubbing my eyes.

"Mavis?"

I gasped, my head shooting up to see Dash coming up on the stairs. He gave a look of disappointment. "Don't tell me you're trying to run away again."

With those words I bolted for the conveniently placed ramp, He waited at the beginning of the ramp for me. When I got up there he reached out, but I slid out of the way of the incoming hands. I got behind him, running as fast as I could, but it wasn't good enough. His fingers came around me, grabbing tightly, I was pulled off the ground, seeing it get farther and farther away from me. I had came so close yet too far.

"Mavis, I thought we talked about this. Have we not made a deal on that earlier that you would go with us without a fight?" His voice was serious, he sounded a little frustrated.

I wiggled, using the strength I had to make him let go. Not even caring about the fall this time. Because deep down, I know I'm not getting out. I had tried to stay strong while the time I spent here, but it felt like all of my emotions were catching up to me. All the feelings I've hidden and pushed deep down. My sight got a little blurry, feeling liquid run down my cheeks.

I couldn't hold back a small whimper that escaped my lips, I glanced up to see Dash's eyes now holding concern and sympathy. "Mavis.. I-I'm sorry."

"Put me down.." I barely managed to force out, turning my head away from him so he couldn't see my face properly.

It took him a minute to do anything, but instead of putting me down, he brought me up to his chest. He began to walk off into a direction that I paid little attention too. I wiped at my eyes. "Did you not hear me?" I tried to toughen up once more.

"Oh I heard you, with that mouth who couldn't?" He opened a door and closed it behind him. He lowered himself, making where I was sitting, shift. I used one hand to grab his shirt and the other to grab his thumb to better balance myself. He laid back, having me sit onto his chest. I looked around my surroundings, seeing my room? I felt Dash's finger stroke my arm. I wiped at my left eye to rid of another tear. I felt pressure, he was gently pushing me to lay down.

"S-stop."

"Sssshhh, it's okay." He soothed, making me lay back down. Gently using his finger, he wiped away the liquid that escaped my eyes and seemed to keep coming.

He continued to easily stroke my right arm, trying to calm me.
I tried to push him away but only for his hand to return.
"I'm so weak.." I mumbled under my breath.

"How are you weak?" He asked

Him asking this got me off guard at first, I didn't intend it for him to hear but I guess it must have slipped my mind that giants have excellent sense of hearing. Originally, I wouldn't answer him but at this point, what else do I have to lose?

".. I hate to cry, I didn't mean to do this in front of you..."

He sighed, then started to run his thumb down the back of my head, making me curl into myself a little from the feeling.
Finding it a little uncomfortable.  "It doesn't make you weak, you cry when your emotions are out of control. It's all emotions mixed together, anger, sadness,  fear, or frustration. It's what you have been holding in for a long time. Everyone has a limit, everyone does it at some point. It doesn't make you weak, it makes you human."

"Yeah but compared to giants, humans are weaker." I tried to relax myself but I couldn't help but tense up.

He laughed. "No no no, if humans wanted to they can kill me."

"What are you talking about?" I looked up to him. "You could kill us endless ways, or even not on purpose."

"So can you, there are somethings you can do that could kill or hurt me that you don't mean. Humans always have a chance, this is why I had to take you. There are records of giants being around in the past, but some humans couldn't get along. Since we stopped showing ourselves, we all got peace.  Which is what we wanted. So if word was to get out that there's a giant roaming the city, it could raise alertness and we could be in serious trouble."

"Why even bother with the city then? We're not even your kind, why come to the city for the kids and risk your own life?" I sniffled.

"What can I say? I have a heart for children. So don't look at it that I took you just for keeping us a secret, because I'm sure if you were going to tell others, you would have already done it now."

"I just thought nobody would believe me.." I trailed off.

"It depends who you tell. But I also took you because I wanted to help you, I want to keep you safe. I knew your struggles, I saw fear hiding in your eyes. I have been watching you for a while. I wanted to take you away from all your pain, and heal whatever inner scars you may have.. The kids already love you."

"Really?" I rubbed my eyes.

"Maddie told me how bad she wanted to talk to you to get to know her new sister. But she was shy."

They have not even spoken much to me and they already care? I may have misunderstood Dash..

"Get some sleep, too much excitement for one night."

"Y-You're not going to go back to your room?" I questioned.

"No, I'll spend the night here."

"Why?"

"Because you're in pain, I'm not gonna let someone who is upset spend the night alone. Just sleep, you'll be fine. I'm here for you." He assured, rubbing my arm, making me shiver.

I sighed, sitting myself up so I could flip over to a more comfortable position. He looked down at me, allowing me to get comfortable. Then he sat his hand back over top me, protectively.

"Good night, Mavis."

I hesitated, "Night, Dash.." I mumbled, curling up and closing my eyes.