Chapter Seventeen

Day three, and all the kids were outside. It was now early in the morning and I was exhausted! They pulled all of us and encouraged them to go play outside while they talked business with the two brothers. The sun was just starting to come up, blinding me when I stand in its light. So I was now leaning against the building, in it's shadow so I wouldn't have to deal with the light. I rubbed the crust out of my eyes, wanting to just go to sleep. But people in the court insisted that we all go outside. I couldn't even sit down in the grass, with it having morning dew. I crossed my arms, leaning against the building. Riley stood with me, he seemed a little tired as well, but more awake than me.

"What do you thinks gonna happen?" I suddenly asked. "Are they going to kill them, send us all to an orphanage or foster homes.."

"I don't know, I'm a little worried with all honesty. I don't want to go back to the streets." He kicked a pine cone that rested on the ground in front of him.

"Why not? You would have more freedom. No body can tell you what to do."
I ran my finger along the brick walls, pressing my nail into it.
Some kids laughed while throwing a ball around or tackling each other into the grass.

"Well, it may have been all fun and great for you. But it wasn't for me."

"Of course I had my ups and downs too, it may not be considered as amazing. But I was just free. Being with Kent and Dash, you can hardly do some things without their help. You can't even go outside!" I exclaimed.

"True, but they are trying their best. Dash, is really smart when it comes to building things or coming up with designs. Kent is more considered 'the hard worker." Riley quoted the words with his fingers. "Kent is constantly working on new things for us. I guess that's sometimes why we don't see him. He will go into some room to work on something and other times he's playing with the kids."

"But he's so rough with handling, like he acts kinda care free."

"Because he is. He of course is sure that he doesn't hurt them. But he's just use to them allowing him to handle them so he doesn't ask permission a lot like Dash does. Dash can hardly bring himself to just grab like Kent." Riley brushed his hair out of his eyes, looking out over the kids.

"But he grabbed Travis when we tried to get out." I pointed out.

There was a short pause. "It's a little bit of a different story when he's mad."

"Then what if they get mad? They could easily hurt them even not on purpose." I leaned slightly more off the wall. Wouldn't it be more dangerous to be around a giant if he is mad? That's the main thing that had me concerned for these children.

"They could," Riley agreed. "But Dash keeps his emotions in check. You can tell when he's mad and depending on the level, he might even be a little rougher. But he NEVER hurts anyone, he won't allow himself too. Kent on the other hand, he... of course he would be rougher, but most of the time he just leaves the room all together."

"Hm.." I hummed, looking down.

"Riley, can you play with us?" Hazel asked Riley, holding a ball in her hands.

"Sure." He smiled.

Hazel looked over at me, taking a second to speak. "Do you want to play, Mavis?"

I looked over at her. "Nah, I'm good. Maybe another time."

Hazel's attention went back to Riley, grabbing his hand and pulling him to join the game. I sighed, laying my head back against the wall.
How much longer was this going to go on for? When will this whole thing end? At least they are actually talking all this over instead of just immediately resulting to violence. So maybe, they can keep their little family they made.
I watched while Riley fell to the ground as an attempt to save the ball. Carter and Dylan jumped on him as an attempt to get it. At this point, I don't even know what game they are playing anymore. They don't have a football, but it almost looks like they are trying to use a kickball as a football. If something were to happen to Kent or Dash here, I would have to feel bad for the kids. They would lose the one place that they would consider home.