Chapter Forty-Four

I was speechless, I couldn't find words. My mouth was open like I was trying to say something but no words were coming out, until I was finally able to stutter out:
"M-my parents..?"

Dash slowly nodded, confirming me.
He looked back to the human papers, adjusting his glasses.
"Well, Ms. Tracy was able to let me have the records of them so I was able to show you. Please sit down." He gestured for me to take a seat.

I looked down and took a seat Indian style.
While he glanced over the papers, he set them back down and looked back to me.
"Well, its more like we found... one.. We found your Father."

"Wh-what about my.. Mom.." It felt weird to ask something like that. I didn't know anything about my biological parents and it felt weird saying that I had any.

Dash kept looking from the papers and to me.
He looked like he was debating something, like he was fighting his own thoughts.
"I-I'm sorry to tell you.. But she's.. gone." He set his hand near me like he was trying to comfort me but he didn't even try to touch me.
"According to the records, she passed away from difficulties during labor."

I looked down, I couldn't even look him in the eyes at this point. I didn't know how am I suppose to handle this new information. I have never known my parents and I'll never really get to know my own Mother.

"Their names were Scott and Victoria Geltz. Scott tried to take you in when Victoria passed away but he was a drug addict, he was going through depression when he lost his wife and he couldn't support himself financially, so you were taken away from him."

"And he didn't try to get me back? Did he even care?" I started to question, a little frustration sneaking into my voice.

Dash shrugged. "I don't know, but you can meet him. That is if you want to."

I can meet him?.. Do I really want to? Well, I'm curious what his reasons were for not coming back for me. He left me there and didn't even try to change his life for me! If he had gotten himself together I would never have been in that orphanage. I would never have had the miserable life that I have had- I stopped my thoughts, looking up at Dash.

... If he really didn't care about me, why would I want him in my life? But then again, I would at least want to hear his side of the story. He was probably just distressed over the loss of Victoria-.. Mom..
a death of a person close to someone can change a person.

"If you don't wish to see him, it's fine." Dash spoke up. "We can pretend we never even seen these records."

I thought more on it, arguing it over in my head.
"I want to see him."

Dash stared at me, I could tell something was going through his mind. Then he hesitantly gave a slow nod.
"Alright, I can make that happen."

He picked up the papers that was in front of him, tapping them onto the desk the best he could to straighten them out and then he handed them to me.
"In case you want to look over it yourself."

I took the paper out of his hand. Glancing over the sheets of papers, recognizing a few more words than before. I put the papers down, my eyes going to him a few times before giving him a small nod and headed back to the way I had gotten up here.

Climbing down the handles, holding onto the papers in my left hand, crumbling them only a little while descending. I left out the door, not even so sure where I was going.  I felt blank, I didn't know what to feel and I was about emotionless. I didn't know how to handle all of this. Spending years in the orphanage and like three years out on my own, I never made friends very easily, I never had any parental figures or knew anybody who really cared. I had no one. I was alone. All of this, was way too different for me.

I had to get my mind together.
I pushed Dash's bed room door open, walking out of it. I headed down the hall, going in no direction in particular.

"Mavis!" I felt a force bump into me, hugging me from behind tightly. Maddie.
I gave a slight smile down to her, patting her head.

She looked up to me, her smile going away and replaced with a look of concern.
"Are you okay?"

I was a little slow to respond. "Yeah.. I'm fine."

She kept doing double takes to me and away while trying to walk with me. "You look upset."

"I'm not, I'm just.. thinking." I watched my feet as I walked. I honestly hope my Dad doesn't want me back..

I looked down, feeling something small curl around my hand. Maddie had grabbed my hand that hung by my side, she smiled a reassuring smile up to me.

I didn't want to leave her.. I didn't want to leave my friends.
I held her hand, watching ahead, where I was going.

Mavis Geltz.. That name bounced around in my head.