Chapter Ten

It was now beginning to become late, the sun was setting and darkness was starting to cover the land outside.

Where was Dash though? I haven't seen him for a while.

"Mavis?"

I looked over to my right to the boy walking with me down the hall. I have meet him a little while ago and we really clicked, having the same interests. So we decided to stretch our legs and go on a walk around the building since it was really big enough for it.

"What?"

"Are you going to answer my question?" He asked.

"Oh." I rubbed my head. "Sorry, Riley. I didn't hear it, what was it again?"

"Why do you hate Dash?"

What he said got me off guard, but I did have to really ponder his question. -sigh- I mean, I have my reasons. It's understandable, right?

Why I should dislike him, but then again... I don't think I truly hate him. At least, not completely though. He has good intentions even though he could have handled some things better. I can't help it. But I guess some things have been getting better with him and me.
"I-I d-don't, I mean, it makes sense for me to right? See what I went through because of him. But, I-I guess I can't say that I really hate him.." I answered his question.

Riley tucked his hands into his pockets. "Yeeeaahh, I get it. He scared the shit out of me too when I first saw him."

A smile creeped up onto my face at his response. "You were a street kid too right?"

"We all were, some of us weren't as lucky to at least be put into an orphanage, princess." He mockingly called me.

I pushed him, playfully. "Don't call me that." I laughed. He stumbled some but regained his balance, grinning. I heard the big door open, I ran to the end of the hall to see what was happening. I stayed back in the hall though, the shadows hiding me. A tall figure shut the door, pulling his soak and wet jacket off of him to hang onto the coat rack. He held something in his hands that apparently don't sound too happy. He rushed back to another room down my hall. (The hall to my bedroom)

"Come on, Riley." I ran down that hall just as he entered a room, we stayed on the opposite side of the door, so if he would to come back out he would not see us.

"Now now, calm down. I will explain everything." I heard Dash say.

I looked over to Riley. "Did he find another kid?"

"I guess so." Riley shrugged his shoulders. "Looks like it."

I looked back to the door, pushing myself up against the wall, tuning back in on what was taking place.

"Alright, I will give you time alone. I'll come back later then." When I heard him approaching the door, I backed away and kept myself up against the walls in hopes he would not see me as he left. Being in the dim hallways helped, but of course light shined in through the door he was leaving and from any of the other rooms. His shadow casted over me as he walked out and back out of the hall. He shut the door behind him, but of course all doors has a rope on the door handle so we could open them.

I snuck my way to the door, looking back to Riley for his thought if he would tell me not to or if he wanted me to. He didn't say anything, so I looked back to the door, spotting the rope that hung in front of me. I gripped the rope, yanking down on it. The door handle clicked, signaling that it was open.

I looked back as Riley stepped closer, he seemed also curious as I was. I put my hand on the door, gently pushing it to open. The bedroom very much resembled mine, furniture was of course in different places though.

My eyes scanned the room, not seeing anything. "Where are they?" I questioned, giving Riley another look.

"Who are you?"

I heard a voice, making me flinch. It sounded like a male's voice.

"I'm Riley." Riley introduced calmly. "And that's Mavis."

My eyes ran over the room to locate where the voice was coming from, until I saw someone peeking out from behind the bed in almost like a shy way.

"Who are you?" I asked him.

"Travis. Why are you here?"

I shrugged up my shoulders. "Just curious to see who the new guy was."

"New guy? How many other are there of you?" He came out a little. His hair was black, brown eyes, skin was pale, skinny, he appeared around sixteen or seventeen.

"How many are there of you?" Riley started, repeating what the boy said. "Sure making us feel special aren't you?"

"How, many?" He stressed asking.

Riley glanced around, rolling his eyes. He obviously did not seem to like Travis. "I don't know, twenty? Thirty? I'm not keeping track."

Travis's eyes seemed to have shown a slight bit of shock. "I have to get out.." He moved away from the bed, walking by us.

"Ha! Good luck with that." I remarked.
He stopped dead in his tracks, not even turning around, but I could tell he was still listening.
"How many times have I thought about getting out of here. I TRIED! Trust me, you won't get far. I haven't found a way out yet, he has this place locked up tight."

He spun back around, focused mostly on me. "Yet? You're not brain washed yet?" He marched up to me, grabbing tightly onto the both sides of my arms. Riley was about to step in, when he thought Travis was going to try something stupid.

"Brainwashed? What are you talking about?" I raised an eyebrow.

"I mean, you still think about leaving? You aren't attached to him yet." He gripped my arms tighter, pulling me towards him.

"I- I guess.." I looked down to his hands that remained clamped onto my arms.
"Can you let go of me?"

He didn't respond right away, however he did let go.
"Riley, Mavis, what are you two doing?" Dash entered the room. Travis seemed to have backed up a little from Dash's presence. I didn't even respond to Dash, nor did I look at him. But Travis seemed really focused more on me.
"Please, out. I will need to speak to Travis alone." Dash began to shoo us out. I slowly turned my back to the boy. But then I felt him grab my wrist, making me spin back around to look at him.

"Please, help me. We can both get out of here and back to our normal lives. We don't have to stay here. Together, we can get out of here. Isn't that what you want?" He whispered to me.

I stared at him, unable to form words for a type of response.

"Mavis." Dash called.
I stared at Travis for a second longer before pulling my arm away. I followed Dash's instructions to leave the room with Riley. I never said another word.
I got out the door as it was shut behind us.
Run away? To get out of here? That was something I have always wanted.. but is it really possible for the both of us to leave, even when I tried by myself. If I couldn't get out, what else can he do?

I felt Riley tap my arm. "Hey, that guy seems kinda weird. Let's not get caught up in whatever plans he has, okay?"

I looked down at the shiny, floor. Nodded my head. "Okay."