Chapter Eighteen

Now, all sitting back in the court room and waiting to hear what Dash and Kent's fate would be. Death, or life. I don't know, but I felt a little nervous. But thinking it over, if they were executed, if I really wanted to, I could escape and run back home. I could be free again. But I would come to miss the friends I've made.
If they lived, then I'm not too sure what will happen. They would probably still take me back. With the people now knowing of their existence, would we be able to live in more peace? Be allowed to go back and forth worlds without a problem?

"The court has finally come to a conclusion, after countless hours of deciding the fate of Dash and Kent Barlow." The judge started.

This was it, this would decide their, and mine's fate. I was already preparing myself for them to say death. Maddie grabbed onto me, I started to rub her back slowly. She was also worried about what would happen.

"Please don't hurt them!" Timothy yelled out, making the judge raise her hand to signal him to settle down so she could finish.
He got back into his seat, fidgeting a little.

"We have decided that Kent and Dash Barlow will be granted life." Before she could finish, kids just started cheering with excitement. Even Maddie jumped up. I looked over to Riley who was just clapping, same for any of the other kids that were not bouncing off the walls.
"Quiet, quiet." She motioned everyone to calm down. "With some serious thought, we are allowing them to enter the city whenever they please. However, if there is one bad incident, there will be major consequences." She said very seriously, making some children go about completely silent.

I started to now wonder, how bad of consequences? Since I'm sure it was very hard to consider having them in the city where accidents could happen because of them! Would it be something more simple like depending on what they could have done. Like you get a warning, get locked up, or... would they just say: You're done and kill them?
I guess it will always be risky for them coming here. No matter what, if you're not suppose to be seen or can be seen. There will always be a risk for them, now they just have to make sure they don't do like what Kent just did.. since I'm assuming the court doesn't know about it. I'm sure Kent wasn't trying to or wanted to hurt anybody, just trying to protect us. But..- wait.... why would Kent want to protect me?..

I honestly don't know what he thinks of me, in the beginning I would say he didn't like me or wouldn't care. Well, it wasn't just me that was going through the conflict. It was also Riley, maybe he was mostly standing up for Riley since he knew him for God knows how long. I just can't see him caring about me..
I snapped out of my thoughts when people all stood up at the same time. I missed what was happening, I didn't understand what was going on until I saw people leaving the court room and officers helped lead Dash and Kent outside.

Maddie left me all together, running out of the section of seats and following behind the two giants.

"You coming?" Riley stood up next to me since I was still left in my spot.

"Where?" I asked, seeming clueless.

"Home. Duh." He said like I was stupid, but smiling. He walked by me, waiting for the crowd to clear a little so he could get out.
Home? Really?
I got up from my spot, following everyone outside. I walked through the now cramped halls, thanks to the amount of people that were trying to get out. The sun was now almost over head, the sky was blue with very few clouds littering the sky. The grass was now a little more dry, a cool wind blew over the land. I looked over to my right, on the other side of the field I saw Dash bent down onto his knee, talking to the Judge about something. She was handing him some papers, kids were scattered all around him. Waiting for him to be done so they could possibly fit a word in, to talk to him.
To the other side of the field, Kent talked to the kids. All of them seemed really happy that they were okay.

I guess it's nice, I would feel bad if something were to happen to them and what I would do. I would feel guilty if I just left them at a time like that. All the kids were just so sweet, really great kids. The ones I've talked to. Most, I know. Some, I may at least know their names.

But I thought about something, Riley said we were going home. It doesn't exactly feel like home to me yet. Heck, it doesn't even feel like a house! It's so big! Even by giant standards. It was more like a huge building that's bigger than a normal house but it's not a mansion exactly. It almost resembles a little like a business building.... or... something. I don't know exactly, there are so many unnecessary rooms.
But either way, I don't know my feelings about going back. I guess it's not as bad as I thought it would be when I first got here.

Standing in the same spot, I turned my head, staring in the direction of home, my home. I remembered all of the times I've had while here, then I compared it to living with Dash and Kent.
If I really wanted to, I think I could make it. I can get out of here. It's a clean shot. What secret does Dash need to keep now? There's no reason to keep me. I could!-

"Mavis?"

It yanked me out of my thoughts, snapping my attention in front of me. Dash was now there, he had a type of look on his face.
"Let's go home." He slowly held his hand out. I looked him in the eyes. Trying to read his eyes, it looked like he had an expression of concern. Like he was worried what I would do, if I would fight him or go with him. He didn't know himself.

I kept looking back in the direction of my old home, then back to him. He waited for me to do something. He brought his hand a few inches closer. I looked down at it, turning my hands into fists.
A little hesitantly, I allowed him to take me, walking up onto his hand. His expression changed and seemed more relieved. He gave me his other hand for support, bringing me up, back to his chest pocket. I can't believe I was doing this, but I jumped back into his pocket. Of course, no balance at first! I could feel Dash walking away now. Trying to pull myself back up, grabbing the opening of the pocket and pulling myself up so I could see.

People all stood outside their homes, looking up to Dash and Kent with shock and fear. Mothers grabbed their kids, pulling them back into the house. Others stepped back but still watched them.
Passing by all the civilians, we passed by a certain group of boys.
They looked up to them with shock, then noticed me. A smile forced its way onto my face. I put two fingers at the temple of my head and kinda saluted back to them smugly while we passed.

I sat back down into the pocket, getting comfortable. Thinking it over, my life on the streets, I was free but I was always hungry, alone, and constantly worrying about getting caught. It haunted me, took over my life. Not to mention being picked on by those boys. Gaining about new bruises and cuts about everyday, and getting thrown out of stores. But living with these guys, I won't be alone, I won't go hungry, I won't get picked on anymore, maybe I can see myself without any bruises for a change..
Maybe life with them won't be so bad.