Chapter Forty

We were getting ready to leave, the only thing I heard now was the constant chatter of people and the annoying beeping of the scanners. This was a lot more boring than I was expecting, but hey, I did want to get out the house. I did want to see more of their world, I was hoping a little bit more but with people like this, I shouldn't be around them.

If only I had a wall.... I would be banging my head against it now..
I looked over to Riley when I heard him yawn. His eyes opened, he scanned around the very small area.

"Still at the store?" He asked.

"Yup.." I responded blankly. "We should be leaving now." I brought my knees up to my chest, wrapping my arms around them.

I wasn't getting much of a look I was hoping for. My main view was mostly just this fabric pocket. Maybe I could just get a... little peek.. I unsteadily got myself onto my feet, I reached up, curling my fingers around the brim of the pocket.

"What are you doing?" Riley whispered to me, like he was concerned with what I was doing.

I held my hand up as like a way to tell him to chill. I pulled myself up just enough to get some type of view. I was tired of looking at this cramped area the whole time, I got relief when I was able to get a different view that wasn't Dash's pocket. Bright lights blinded me, I saw a bunch of people walking back and forth, going about their day. I was able to hear slightly more, the talking now was louder, the chatter of people which I couldn't make out.

My heart almost stopped when I looked ahead to the cashier, his eyes were on me. Instantly, I dropped back down, acting like I didn't peek out or anything.

"What happened?" Riley whispered, leaning closer to me. He could obviously tell that something happened by my actions and facial expressions.

"Is that a human?" I could hear what I assumed was the cashier, but his voice was low, like he was being sure no one else could hear him, or so he won't draw attention.

After hearing this, Riley's expression dropped to a look of annoyance. "Really..?"

I bit my lip, shrugging my shoulders up, not giving him much of a response back. I noticed Dash didn't really give them a response back, almost like he was ignoring them or pretending he didn't hear him which I know would be a flat out lie.

"Can I see them? I never seen one this close up before." The cashier asked quietly.

After a while, Dash finally responded blankly. "That's not my decision, it's theirs. But I would prefer you not." I heard the ripping of the receipt. "Thank you."
I could feel Dash started moving away, out of the store. The soft sound of rain hitting the ground in a light drizzle, the cool air trying to sneak into the small area caressed my face.

"C-can we come out now?" I looked up to the opening of the pocket, waiting for a response.

There was a short pause until he finally responded back. "Yes."

Riley and I exchanged looks to each other, then got up at the same time.

Dash's eyes glanced down to us but he kept himself aware of who was near and how many. "Okay, which one of you looked out?"
Automatically, Riley pointed to me like a two year old would when they were trying to avoid getting into trouble.

I smacked his hand down. "Oh thanks, snitch."

Dash chuckled lightly. "It's not a problem, it didn't really cause anything big. I've seen worse happen, the man that checked us out handled it nicely. I could tell he didn't want to cause anything either, he was just curious."

I looked down, watching the ground below us, seeing how high up we were.
Then we finally reached the car, Dash kept the basket close. He walked up to the passenger side, unlocking the car and opening the door.

"Here," as gently as possible, he easily pulled us both out with both of his hands. He set us into the passenger seat. "You two just wait here, I'll put everything away and we can go home. I will not take long." He fastened the seat belt around us before shutting the door. I could hear his footsteps go to the back of the car, throwing the food and all into the trunk.

I sat back, sighing. Not a second later, I heard a little girl's voice.
"Mommy! Look!"

I looked up to the window, seeing a little girl that didn't seem too much older than Maddie, standing at the window with her index finger pressed against the glass, pointing at us. She had her messy brown hair up into a bun and bangs just above her blue eyes, her skin was fairly pale, and she wore a yellow sun dress. "What are they? Are they dolls?" She looked up to her Mother.

My eyes narrowed at the little girl. Well, screw you too..

The Mother came over to get a closer look, she brought her left hand up to her chest. "Oh my.." She gasped, staring us down.
Another person joined in which I would assume was the Father.

He bent over to pick the little girl up into his arms, giving her a better look at us. "What are they, Daddy?"

"Humans..? I thought they were all gone.." He looked over the both of us almost like he was confused or trying to figure us out.

I would assume from him saying that, drew more and more over to the window. More giants appeared around the car, looking at us in amazement.

"Dear Lord.." I grumbled, putting my hand up to my face, like I could hide that way from all of their intense gazes.

Riley tried to pull his attention away as well, but all of the sudden attention was like a crushing feeling.
I refused to look over at them, feeling extremely uncomfortable. But I could feel more eyes being added onto the ones that was already here, I looked wherever else I could, even at Riley a few times. Like I was asking him through looks, 'what do we do?' He seemed to not even know himself.

The one thing that I didn't think about that could happen, this made my heart drop when I heard the little beeping that just signals that the door is open sounded. I can just say, I knew it was from the passenger door. This time I managed to pull my eyes over to my door, jumping back when I saw my door was opening, a hand tried to reach inwards, since I was the closest, it would most likely go for me first.

I was about crawling over Riley at this point to keep away, before the hand could even touch me, it was yanked back out.

"Excuse me, what do you think you all were doing?"
The door was slammed shut. Dash stood in front of the door now, glaring everyone down.

"Sorry, sir." The first woman the showed up at the door, the Mother apologized, pulling her husband and daughter with her.

From Dash's sudden appearance made everyone clear out. They all left, trying to avoid as much eye contact with him possible. When everyone was at a good distance away, Dash returned to the driver's side. The car beeped when the door was opened, the light above came on for a second but slowly dimmed back out when the door was shut.

"Are you two okay? They didn't hurt either of you in any way right?" He brought his hand close to us almost like he was ready to check us over for injuries.

"No, we're okay." Riley looked over to me, when he did that, Dash's eyes went to me too, waiting for my response.

I took a second, almost like I couldn't tell if I was okay or not. "Yeah, I'm fine." I turned my attention away, sitting back, trying to actually relax after nearly having a heart attack.

It was silence for a little bit until Dash was able to get himself to start up the car.
"Mavis, do you remember when you tried to run off with Travis,"
I looked back up to him, listening to what he was saying while he was pulling out of the parking lot, not even really looking at me while he spoke.
"And you broke my window?"
I bowed my head a little, feeling a little bad about it.
"This is what I was talking about. That it is not safe for someone like you to be out here. You could get hurt."

I returned my gaze back to him, pulling my knees back up to my chest, hugging onto them. The seat belt kind of restricted me of doing so.
"I understand."