Chapter Thirty

"Get going! To the portal!" A familiar voice echoed in my head.
"Tear the light pole out of the ground! We have a few seconds!" Another voice came through.
I felt my heart rate pick up, pounding at an alarming rate.
The voices merging into one another, making it difficult to make out what they were saying. But I could sense that they were distressed. It felt like the world was spinning, the voices got louder and louder. Crying was heard in the back of my mind, crys for help sounded from afar. Flashes of images ran through my mind, teeth, fangs, blood, horrible scenes.
Everything got louder, voices, practically yelling at me. Crying got louder, sounding like they were truly pained.
"Mavis!" Was the last word shouted at me before I jumped up in bed. I panted, my eyes wide in fear. I glanced around the room, finding nothing but a dark room, light from the moon shining in through the window.

I sighed in relief, I ran my hand over my messy brown hair. What is it with these nightmares? Why do I still get them? I originally thought I only got them before was because of Dash and Kent. I constantly worried if I would get caught or if they would find me. But that time was over, already being here I thought I would have already conquered those dreams. Not continuing in getting them. Something has to be triggering them. I don't know what though.. I yawned, still feeling pretty tired.

I threw the blankets off of me, pulling myself up to my feet, stumbling only a little. I just wanted to get a sip of water before going back to bed. I made my way down the set of stairs. Why can't there be another way to get down, like a slide would be cool. As of right now, I'm feeling too lazy and tired to really be taking the stairs right now. Being no other way down, I am left with no other choice. I finally reached the end, feeling the rough, short carpet on my feet. I got to the door that was left cracked, pulling it open. I rubbed my eyes tiredly, almost jumping in reaction to how cold the hardwood floor of the hallway was. before I even left the hallway, I heard very quiet whimpering.

What was that? Taking a little detour, I changed direction and followed the sounds which was now getting quieter and quieter until it stopped all together. I assumed which door it was coming from, walking up to a cracked door, I placed my hand on it to gently push it open.

The room had a very dim, comfortable light. I looked into the bedroom, looking to the bed. Dash laid there with his hands up to his chest. He opened his eyes and looked to the door at me. I noticed a child in his hands, tear streaks stained his face. It was Jonas.

I didn't even say a word, so Dash decided to.
He looked down to the child falling asleep in his hands then back up to me.
"He had a nightmare."

"I see.." I was about to leave until I was stopped.

"How I was raised, my Mother would always comfort me the same way every time I had a dream like this.."

I stopped myself from going anywhere, just stared up at him. I put my hand onto the door frame, turning back to properly face him. I couldn't think of anything to say to respond with, so I stayed quiet.

He took a breath. "She made sure I was well behaved from the moment I could walk or even say my first word."
I stepped a little more into the room but remaining by the door.

"When my step Father came into the picture and Kent was born, she tried to do the same with him. But he would always be around Dad. So whatever she would try to teach him, wouldn't stick like they did with me."

So, Dash and Kent are not full brothers? They are half brothers.
"What happened to your real Dad?" I said just above a whisper.

"He um.. He just left." Dash looked at me, then back ahead. "I wasn't really told a lot about him, just little ways after I was born, he up and left. Never heard or seen from again."

"What about your Mom? Is she still.." I stepped closer to the bed just by a few.

"Yes, she's fine. Kent and I, when we moved out, we moved a while away from home. It was what we had to do since I wanted to get involved with humans and hunt down the cannibals. If anyone wanted to do things like that, they would have to move away at a pretty far distance. So it's a little hard for my parents to visit, and they are also workaholics so they are constantly working. I don't hear a lot from them."

My eyes wondered down, didn't really know what to say or respond with, so I just left it blank.
His head turned back to me, he looked down like he was pondering something. His eyes finally met back up with mine.
"If it's not out of my place to ask, do you know anything about your parents?"

Those words pulled my attention to him quickly, I had to think about this. I haven't thought about my real parents for a while.
"I don't know, I was told that I was given to the orphanage when I was only a month or two old. I don't know if they just couldn't take care of me or if they were dead."

He hummed, pulling himself up to a more comfortable position. "Well, maybe we can find out one day."

"What do you mean?"

"They have to have records of everyone, maybe we can find your parents. You could get to actually meet them, or at least find out what happened to them." He ran a thumb down the boy's back gently.

"Are you serious?" I asked in almost disbelief.

He looked back to me with his brown eyes, he gave a hint of a smile. "Yes, it's the least I could do." He returned his gaze back over to the boy who appeared more relaxed while he slept.

"Yeah well, that'll be great." I started to back out of the room slowly. Trying to end the conversation there since I did not know what else there was left to say and I was still a little tired. It was like four in the morning, according to the clock that sat on the nightstand.

"Are you going back to bed?" He questioned when he noticed I was trying to slowly take my leave.

"Well I was going to get some water first but yeah." I brushed my hair back.

"Alright then, good night." He nodded to me as I completely turned away from him to leave. I left out of sight, heading down the long hall.
There is actually a chance I get to meet my real parents? So many thoughts came to mind about this idea, this topic. Will they hate me? Did they even care about me? Are they like the parents to the children here? That the kids were just left behind, abandoned. Others, just passed away or disappeared all together.
Wait, are they even alive? Could they be dead right now?

I guess I won't know until if Dash actually means it and he really does help me find them. But what if I do find them, and they really did care.. Would Dash let me go, or will he still take me back with him?

I wonder, if he really is serious.. Or is he just saying that to try to make me feel better..?
We will just have to see.. I guess..