Chapter Thirteen

"Lemme go! Lemme go!" Someone yelled out.

"Shhhh!" Dash hushed, putting a finger to his lips. "Kent, what's going on?"

Kent looked up, with a struggling Travis in his fingers. "He tried to run, is it even considered smart to have him with us?"

"I understand how you're looking at it but I prefer for him not to break another window and get himself hurt." Dash approached Kent, being sure to watch the kids that played around him at his feet.
He bent down, to be leveled with Travis.
"Let's behave why don't we."

"Why should I?" Travis narrowed his eyes up to Dash.

"Because there's no reason to throw a fit, while we can just enjoy being outside, instead of being kept up in the house all night."

"Well how am I suppose to enjoy it if I can't even walk around?" Travis struggled a little, pushing himself to a better position.

"Well if you were a little more trust worthy then maybe you can actually walk around. We will have to see." Dash held his arms behind his back, heading on and coming up on the town.
I pushed myself up more to attempt to get a better look at what was around me. When I realized our position, I looked over at the woods. In the direction home would be. The place I spent a little part of my life at.

Is this why Dash preferred for me to be with him? He thinks I'm going to run? Well, I wouldn't blame him I guess. He's just keeping an eye out for me. I looked down, seeing the ground so far away. I watched as the buildings I knew since growing up, pass by. The store I tried to steal an apple from, came up on the left. It's ridiculous that they couldn't help me out when I needed it. The building looked empty, lights cut off, leaving the whole store dark.

I never really got to see how the town looks after hours. Since the brothers comes out at night, I always ran home before it got too dark. Just that one time I wasn't so lucky.. the night I got caught. I recalled what those boys did and what they called me. It made me tighten my grip on the fabric that rested in my fingers. I shook that thought out of mind, then continued to look out over the buildings. Just as another house passed by, I saw one of those boys in the window. Looked like he was getting ready for bed. Must be his house.

"Can we egg that house?" I didn't tear my eyes away from the building.

Dash glanced down to me then followed my line of sight. He smiled when he realized whose house it was, when he recognized the boy in the window. "Maybe save that for another time."

I leaned back, exhaling, blowing the hair out of my face. This was beginning to get kinda boring. It's nice to be outside and all, but I'm not doing anything. I don't even have Riley to really talk to, I prefer not to be yelling back and forth just to talk. Maybe if I ask, Dash will let me down. But then again, once I'm down and outside, I won't want to go back. Buuut, it'll be nice to have a small taste of freedom.

I jumped up, leaning over the side to better see Dash's face. "Hey, Dash."
His attention went to me.
"Can you let me down? I want to walk a little."

He pondered what I had asked, glancing around the area. He even made eye contact with Kent who still held an annoyed looking Travis. "Ummm, I prefer not at this time. Maybe in a little while."

Whatever hope I had left in me slowly vanished into nothing. My shoulders fell, I huffed. Then slowly sunk down back into my now little hidey hole. I sat at the bottom of Dash's pocket.
Now I'm not gonna be able to do much of anything since they probably don't trust me, which I can understand with how many times I've tried to get out. I can't help that I'm stubborn.

I laid my head back, trying to get comfortable. Until I heard a sound.
"Get them!"

I felt Dash go unsteady, I jumped up to try to see what was happening. When I poked my head out, I saw a bunch of other humans circling us. Oh my God..

I looked down, seeing that they had rope wrapped around Dash's legs. He tried to keep himself balanced, Kent was in the same situation.

"Round them up!" They lunched rope out at them, it wrapped around Dash and Kent separately. They lost their balance and they both fell.

Dash landed on his knees first, then having his arms tied behind his back, he fell. I tightened my grip onto his jacket. Oh gosh, please don't end up falling on me.

I could tell he was trying to be mindful of me, but he couldn't do much. The side of his face hit the dirt ground.
The force threw me out of his pocket, I tumbled out. I curled up into myself as an attempt to protect myself however I can.

"Kent! Dash!" A child yelled, running after them to help them out.

"Get the kids." A guy signaled to his men. They all ran in, grabbing the kids and carrying them away.

"No! You can't take them!"

"Put me down!"

"Kent!"

"Dash!"

All of my so called siblings yelled out, screaming and crying for help.
I pushed myself up, some tiny rocks stuck out of my skin. Not deep, I brushed them off quickly.

"Let me go! Let me go, you Assholes!" Riley yelled back at the two guys that tried to drag him away.

I brought myself back up to my feet, stumbling a little. I turned back around to see Dash looking around to the other kids with worry and concern. "It's okay, I'm fine." He told the kids to also attempt to calm them down.

"Mavis!"

I spun back around, towards the wood line of the Forrest, Travis stood there. "Come on!" He encouraged me to run in his direction. He was trying to run away. I smiled, I started to run until I stopped myself. I slowly turned back around towards the scene that was taking place behind me. Kent struggled to get free, but Dash laid there, his face was shoved in the dirt. He kept his eyes on me, watching what I would do. He didn't say a word, or even call for me to come back. It seemed to be one of the moments he let me do what I wanted to do.

I looked over to see the army trying to round up the children that attempted to get away or free any of the two brothers.

"Help!" Some yelled.

"Please don't hurt them!" Another would yell, referring to not hurt Kent or Dash.

Guilt hit me hard, I was torn between what to do. I kept doing double takes back and forth.

"Mavis! Come on!" Travis yelled at me, trying to rush me over. I looked back to him, then over to one of the men that stood by to be sure Dash or Kent doesn't get loose.

I broke into a run towards one of the men, grabbing a large knife that hung on his side. I ran first to Dash, trying to quickly cut the ropes as fast as possible. But that didn't last long when arms wrapped around my waist and picked me up. I flared around, trying to be let go. I managed to even throw the knife down and hit the guy in his foot.

He screamed, falling over and taking me down with him. I wiggled out of his grasp, but before I could get very far, I was grabbed again. They tackled me down to the ground, with my arms held behind my back. I struggled in protest, looking back to the wood line, Travis was now gone.

I groaned when they lifted me up, yanking me up to my feet. They began to pull me away and to the vehicle. They threw me down in the back of their vehicle.

"Alright! Let's get these guys out of here!" Their boss yelled, but just before they shut the doors, I got a glimpse of Dash.

He looked at me with surprise and sorrow in his eyes.
Then the doors slammed shut, sending me and the few of the others into darkness.