Chapter Thirty-Three

Going into the school, I almost bumped into a crowd of kids. Which those kids so happens to be.. my siblings..

Most of them that's suppose to be in high school anyways.
There were a few adults handing them some small slips of paper, then allowing them to move on. I stood in the back of the crowd, assuming I shouldn't go anywhere until I was handed a slip, which I was sure I was suppose to get.

Looking off to my left, up high on the wall was a clock. Glancing back and forth from it and to my schedule, it looks like we're late. Class should have already started.

"Hello, are you Mavis?" A man suddenly came up to me, startling me at first.

"Oh! Um, yes." I jumped, whipping my attention to him with my hair partially smacking me in the face.

He laughed. "Huh! Sorry. Didn't mean to scare you." He smiled, writing something down on paper.

"Nah, you didn't." I pulled a small strain of my hair that attempted to get into my mouth off to the side.

"Well alrighty then." He gave one more friendly laugh, then handed me a piece of paper.
"When you get to your class, hand this to your teacher. It's a pass to excuse you for being late."

"Okay." I nodded. Already starting to walk away and down a random hall. Gotta figure out how the room numbers are going for each hall. If they are going higher or lower.
Glancing at the numbers, then having to quickly spin back around when realizing it was the wrong hall.

Well isn't this going to be just fun!...
When I spun around, I almost smacked into another kid.

"Oh! I'm sorry." It was Kaitlin who was also trying to find her class. She slipped by me and wondered down the hall. I started my travel back down the other corridor. Taking forever at first! But eventually I had found my first class. English, Mrs..... Trueheart?
Her name was on a sign outside the closed door, right underneath the large numbers that marked to room.

I brought the paper back up to my face to be sure I wasn't just walking into some random classroom. Finding that the numbers matched, I sighed, gingerly bringing my first up to knock on the door right when I didn't even get a chance to do so when the door was instantly yanked open. I flinched at the sudden action and stared a little cluelessly for about half a second at the woman that stood there. 

"Hi," She smiled warmly, holding her hand out to me when she noticed the note in my hands. It took me a second for my mind to comprehend what was happening and for me to hand over the note. She read over it then looked up to me and smiled once again.
She moved aside to let me in.
"Welcome, Mavis."

I slowly walked into the room, suddenly seeing a room full of a bunch of other students. I almost froze in my spot. All eyes on me.
I didn't like getting this type of attention, I'm not use to getting this type of attention. Normally I'm not around this many people. Who I'm currently living with doesn't count. They are young kids that gets distracted by each other very easily and would hardly pay me much attention, they look at me and move on. There's some I'm still unsure about their names. But I knew the main ones who cared to really talk to me.

"Everyone, this is Mavis." The teacher put her hands on my shoulders from behind me.
"Let's give her a nice welcome, she's new to this school."

At first the class didn't say anything, until one jumped up in his seat.
"Aren't you one of the kids that's living with giants?"

I glanced off to the side before replying with: "Yes.."

The teacher lead me back to an empty seat in the back of the class, next to the wall. There were two empty desks there, I sat at the one on the inside, between the wall and the other desk. Pulling my bag off of my shoulder, I hung it off the back of my chair.
Right when I had sat down, the whole class jumped up, surrounding my desks and almost shoving the teacher out of the way.

All of them started asking a bunch of questions all at once.

"What are they like?"

"How many are there?"

"How big are they?"

"Are they really nice?"

How'd you meet them?"

"What are their names?"

"Can I meet them?"

"Are they coming here again after school?"

"Where do they live?"

Like I'm going to answer that one! I don't need to find one of them like at night and by my bedside.

"U-um?" My mind was scrambling to look for answers from the sudden overload of questions. I wasn't use to this type of treatment!

"Everyone! Give her some room!" The teacher ran up, trying to push some of them back and away from me. When she was eventually able to calm them down and make them quiet, she glanced to each one of them.
"Now, Mavis is not going to be treated any different than the rest of you. Just because she has different living conditions than most of you does not mean that you all need to bombard her like that. She is going to hopefully be with us for a while, let's not overwhelm her on her first day. Now go sit down." She sternly told them all which they all followed her simple instructions.

"Get to work on your work sheets. If you need help, raise your hand. I will come and help you when I can." The teacher took a seat in the empty desk next to me. Which sort of confused me at first.

All of them finally returned to their work, she turned her attention back to me.
"I haven't formally introduced myself, I'm Mrs. Trueheart." She held her hand out for me to shake.

I glanced down to it then took it, giving a small shake.
She pulled out blank pieces of paper from the desk and grabbed her pen that she already had.
"Now I was told about your reading skills." She brought her voice down some so the others wouldn't hear it that well.
"You don't have to worry about doing what the others are doing. You will be doing something completely different than them to catch you back up to speed."

I nodded when she started to write some things down onto the paper. While she did this I glanced around the room, catching a few students looking at me. Then quickly averted their gaze back down to their work.
It's like they were treating me like an alien. But I know the only reason they have an interest in me is because of Dash and Kent. I wonder where is that going to take me.