Chapter Seven

I moaned, rolling over. I moved my arm, rubbing the sleep out of my eyes. I yawned, actually managing to open my eyes. I was laying on the bed, Dash was gone. I sat up, just staring at nothing in particular.  My mind drew a blank, wasn't so sure what to do next. Sit in bed until something happens, or go out and see what will happen. The door opened quickly, instantly pulling me out of my thoughts. Kent stood in the door way, looking at me. "Dash wants to see you." 

"Why?" I asked, did I do something? Was it about last night? Is he gonna do something since I tried to run?

Kent hesitated to say anything, his expressions not changing. He shifted in his spot, backing up from the door little ways. "Come on." He went out of sight. 

Not wasting a second, I threw the blankets off of me, running down the stairs, and to the door to see Kent waiting for me out in the hall until I came into view, he began to slowly walk to the destination. I followed behind him, trying to speed walk in order to keep up. 

I felt the need to ask him what's going on but I feel like we may not get along the best, I'm not too sure. But then again, why do I care? We made it to a room, the room where I first saw all of the children. The door easily swung open because of Kent. I looked up to him at the same time he looked down to me. He nodded for me to go in first. I slowly walked in, staying alert. None of the kids were anywhere to be seen. What time even was it? 

At the end of the rectangular room, I saw Dash standing there, awaiting me. When I felt like I was close enough, I stopped. 
"You wanted to see me?" I stuck my hands into my front pockets. 

Like normal, he got down on his knee. So he would come a little more down to my level. "Actually, not me. Someone else did." 

I gave a look of confusion. "Who?" 

Dash looked down to his side. "Go on." He quietly encouraged. 

I looked down to where he was looking, seeing a head gingerly poke out from behind him. Then a little girl slowly came out. Her hair was blonde, her blue eyes were sparkly, she wore a pink dress. She looked up to Dash like she was unsure if I was dangerous or not, he nodded. Placing his hand behind her and gave a little nudge. She stepped up little ways and then stopped.

"Mavis, this is Maddie." 

I looked back to the girl, who seemed slightly nervous. I sighed, I know what I need to do. The girl couldn't be more than six years old. I got down and held my hand out to her. I smiled warmly to her, the first time I ever smile while here. She took it, I gave her hand a small shake. "Hi, I'm Mavis." I introduced. 

"Madeline." She tried to hide a small smile behind her other hand. 

Dash stood up. "Excuse me, ladies. I'll go get some others that would like to meet you while you two get to know each other. He went around us, going for the door. He shut the door as he left, leaving just the two of us in the big, empty room together. 

"How old are you?" I asked her. 

"Six." She mumbled. 

I sat down onto my butt, idian style as she did the same. 
"How were you taken here?" 

She looked down, picking at her dress. "Bad night.." She trailed. 

"What do you mean?"

"Bad things happened.."

I was getting very intrigued as to why she didn't seem to want to tell me. I was curious what happened. But if she doesn't want to tell, I cannot make her. But I guess a lot of these kids have probably been through hell in their pasts. Living on the streets is hard, we've hit a point in history where a lot of children were being born and eventually, sadly some being thrown onto the streets like nothing, having to defend for themselves. It was sad. Like all of these other children, I was also an orphan. But I didn't go through as much as them. The first twelve years of my life was spent in the orphanage, where a few of the people actually care about you. At least for me. Kids were thrown onto the streets from the age five and up. No one bothered to help them... 

Life can be cruel, but I guess that's all Dash was trying to do. Since no one else would help them, then he was going to help them. 

"Okay, I'm sorry to hear that." I said calmly, sitting back. At that moment, the door opened. I turned to see Dash coming in with a few kids. 

Oh my gosh.. How many of them are there?