Chapter Forty- Eight

The next day when school had ended, I got outside before Dash or Kent even got there. So instead of finding them, I found my Dad..
He invited me back over his house, and of course I went with him. He fixed me a cup of hot chocolate and we started talking, showing me pictures of him when he was in high school, and of my Mother.

She was really pretty, brown eyes, straight light brown hair. She seemed very open and outgoing. Adventurous, energetic, very down to Earth.
We flipped through all of the pages of the scrap book, catching Scott smiling a few times at the images. He must have really loved her, it's horrible that she had to go so soon. She was so young, not even near her mid twenty's when she passed.

Scott scoffed, a grin appearing on his lips. "This is when we went on a hiking trip," He pointed to a picture. I leaned forward to better see it. The picture was at a high up perspective, with Victoria taking the picture of herself and Scott that looked like he was about dying in the background and drenched in sweat. Victoria just looked as happy as could be. I guess I can see where I got my energetic side from.
"She use to drag me all over the place. She would come up to me wanting to go hiking, skiing, climbing, going for walks or runs. I would simply prefer to be more on the couch than on my feet." He laughed then paused, thinking over about the past.
"She took me to new places and showed me things I have never seen before. She was an amazing person.." He trailed off, staring down at nothing, his eyes were blank, almost like he was not 'there.'

Then life snapped back into him and he turned his head back to me. "She loved you." He suddenly said with a smile. "She loved you so much." He brought his right hand up, rubbing my left shoulder. "Even though she may no longer be here, she's always watching over you."

I looked down, then my eyes went up to see a clock hanging high on the wall. Seeing that it was now getting late and I was unsure if either Dash or Kent really knew where I was at. I hoped Riley or Kaitlin told them. I stood up abruptly. "Well it's getting late, I should get going now. I'm not too sure if they know where I'm even at. But thank you." I gave a smile out of politeness.

Scott closed the book and pushed it off to the side, standing up as well. "You are welcome, I suppose it is time for you to be getting back as well. Hopefully I can see you soon." He followed down behind me to the front door. He reached in front of me to open the door, pulling it open for me. Before I could really get a chance to walk out the door, he wrapped an arm around me, giving a little side hug. I didn't know how to respond to that so I did nothing.
When he let go, he hesitantly said, "I love you."

My voice was now caught in my throat, I don't think I ever said that word before or even said it to someone either. I gave a stiff nod, backing out of the house. I gave him barely a smile then turned my back and already began to go down the stairs. I rolled my eyes and mentally face palmed at my own stupidity. The way I grew up, do people really expect me to say that easily? It's a weird thing to say for me.
All children are practically taught that word at a young age and say it as a daily routine, so they're use to it. I never grew up with that word, so hearing that word directed to me or even thinking about saying it is weird, its foreign to me.

I could hear the door shut behind me in the distance while I traveled down the long driveway and in the direction of the light pole.
I ran my fingers through my curly brown hair in frustration, my fingers getting caught in a few tangles.

I had a little bit of a long walk in front of me, but if I could distract myself and keep my mind off of the walk then it'll seem much faster. At least I was able to give Riley my bag for him to take back with him so I wouldn't have to be dragging it around.

I gazed up at the sky, growing darker each passing moment, the sun's light barely shinning, disappearing into the ground in the distance.
I didn't intend to stay out this late, I didn't even realize it was getting this late.

I heard footsteps from behind me, the first thought that came to my mind was the worse. Expecting something to happen, I clenched my fists, listening for any sudden movements. From the unknown person behind me.

Then a voice called out obviously directed to me.
"Hey, Street rat!"

Lord... I rolled my eyes, slowly turning around to face the person.

Ryan, it still confuses me why does he suddenly have an interest in me.
Why act all friendly with me when he use to abuse me what felt like my whole life?

"Can you please stop calling me that..?" I asked him with annoyance.

"What? It's a nickname." He tried to defend himself, shrugging his shoulder.

"A pretty demoting one." I grumbled, turning my back on him but only for him to run after me.

"Hey, did you want to join me and the boys to go egg someone's house?" He laughed. "It's the perfect time to do it, make it harder for them to catch us-"

"What? Is this another person you're gonna start to harass for like four or five years like you did with me?" I continued walking with him following.

"Well, we like to look at it as someone to joke or play with."

"Yeah, that's not all that fun for the other person.." I kept my eyes straight in front of me, continuing to walk at the same speed but that seemed a little faster than Ryan since he seemed like he was really trying to keep up.

"Well.. What does it matter? It's -"

I spun around to face him, stopping in my tracks. "Count. Me. Out. I'm not gonna make their life a living hell like you did with me." I tried to leave him but he kept following me like a shadow.

"Come on, Mavis. You're not still sore at us are you? It's all a joke."

"Calling me names, throwing things at me, hitting me, throwing an apple at me to almost knock me out of a tree is a joke to you?" I had a small flashback as I thought about all he had done to me. How could he look at this as a joke or 'playing?' I know some boys like to play rough but seriously, who does this?!

"It's like a test in a way, I guess you could say. But we're friends now aren't we?"

"I wouldn't necessarily say that." I tucked my hands into my front pocket of my jeans.

"Mavis," Ryan jumped in front of me, stopping me in my tracks. If he would just stop, I was so close to the light pole. He needs to learn to just leave me alone.
"I've been trying to be nice to you, this should be like an honor for you, welcoming you into my group." Anger seemed to begin glowing in his eyes, but he was trying his best to control it, I could tell.
He took a breath. "Why can't you just-"

"Is there a problem here?" Kent appeared from the wood line of the Forrest.

Ryan quickly looked behind him, up to the blonde haired man. Then he slowly turned his attention back to me, staring me down deep into my eyes.
"Not at all.." He grumbled underneath his breath, then slowly left.

I glanced behind myself to watch him leave, then Kent's movement towards me drew my attention back to him.
"Did something happen?" He questioned with a look of a little confusion with what had happened.

I opened my mouth to explain, but stopped myself. Glancing back at Ryan who was way in the distance now. I looked down and shook my head, not even sure what was going on.
"It was nothing."