Chapter Eight

Maddie, Timothy, Ellie, Alex, Riley and others I can't even remember their names since they were all introduced at once to me. They already think of me as a sister and according to Dash, I have... fifteen brothers annnndddd.. thirteen sisters.. Ugh, why though. Why am I still going along with this? Maybe,... he finally broke me..

"Are you going to eat anymore?" Kent stood next to me, pointing at my plate that sat in front of me. I looked down at my unfinished breakfast.

I shook my head. He just took it and left to go add it with the rest of the dishes. Still, my discomfort keeps me from eating much. No matter how much my stomach demands more, but luckily I did eat a little more than last time.

"You really need to eat more." Dash came up, wiping the table of the booth off.

I didn't even respond to him, just turned my head away. He sighed, taking a seat down on the opposite side of the booth of me. "Are you okay?" He spoke very calmly.

I hesitated to respond to him but I nodded my head. "Yeah, I'm fine."

He looked away, there was a little break of silence until something popped back into my mind.

"Dash?"

"Hm?" He looked back over at me.

"What happened to Maddie? How was she brought here?"

I could see a small bit of sorrow flash in his eyes as he stared at me. "What makes you want to ask?"

"She won't tell me.. I'm really curious." I looked him in the eyes, practically pleading him to tell me.

He exhaled. "She came from one of the most roughest situations... I have ever seen.."

"What happened?" I pushed for him to go on.

It took him a second to continue. "About two years ago, one night, she was traveling home with her parents. She was so much of a.. happier child then, very bubbly and friendly."

"How do you know this? Were you spying on her or something?"

"I witnessed it, I was out early one night. About twenty minutes before curfew. I heard them coming and I got out of sight. Anyways, the sun was already down and street lights were on. I just saw a man step up to them, I could not see what he looked like from where I stood. But he threatened them, he pulled a gun, demanding money. Apparently, he thought they had more. He shot both of them, looted them for more money and left."
Dash massaged his forehead, squinting his eyes. "I wish I could have done something, but I didn't expect him to kill them. Maddie was left alone with her dead parents, crying over their bodies. That's when I stepped in."

She has had a horrible past that scarred her for life, she witnessed her own parent's death. I wouldn't even know what to do if that happened to me. But I never knew my actual family, I don't know why was I given up. If they died or if they just couldn't take care of me.

"Just, don't bring it up around her. I think she blames herself for their death."

I nodded, looking away. After a minute or more, I felt Dash leaning closer. Making me quickly look up.
"I know how you feel, but can you at least give us a chance and try to like it here? There's no need to be moping around when you can look on the positive side of things."

"Like what am I suppose to do?" I shrugged my shoulders up.

He thought about it, then stood. "When we get a chance, we play games. I let the kids pick and Kent and I go along with it. Let's go play a game with the others." He suggested, holding his hand out to me since I was still up high on the booth.

I gave it a few looks, then I pushed it away with my foot. I got up and just went down the stairs instead. I still don't like being held, it's uncomfortable to me. I walked out the door with Dash trying to walk as slow as possible to stay close to me, but he still was a little ways ahead of me.

We got to the stairs, of course he walked easily down them while I had to sit down and scoot off of them.

He turned back to look at me, waiting patiently. "Are you sure you don't want help?" He took two steps closer until I held my hand up.

"Very sure, I'm good."

He backed off, waiting for me to get off.
When I did, we made our way for the rectangular room. Was I really gonna play a game with them? I wasn't sure, but I was at least going to give them a chance and see what happens. I guess Dash was right, it would be best to try to look on the positive side of things instead of staying upset over something.