Chapter Twenty-Seven

I picked at the grass as I walked by, pulling some up out of the ground and throwing them behind me. The morning sun just rising into the sky, giving me a gentle warmth but a harsh blinding light. We were going out again, back to the human world. I wasn't so sure what the reason was for right now, or maybe it could be so we could get some air. I'm sure I got plenty of air last night though...

The burst of light turned into the portal, Dash had his thumb on the button that started it. I looked over to my right, seeing Kaitlin talking to Dylan and Carter. Ahead of me, other kids waited patiently to be let out. Riley played with Maddie and some other little boy I haven't yet been able to make myself acquainted with. Riley easily set the boy down who was riding on his back.

"Mavis, are you going to try it by yourself again?" Kent walked past me, referring to if I was going to go through the portal by myself.

I looked ahead to it, having Dash's eyes on me. Assuming he heard what Kent had asked me. I nodded. "Yeah, let's go."

Kent didn't say anything more, he went through the portal to get prepared for me to go through. Dash looked back down to the children, gesturing for them all to go ahead. They didn't hesitate going in, running through and jumping into it like the little pros they seem to be. If little kids can do this, why can't I? Well, they had more practice than me, maybe even like years of practice. I feel like I am getting closer to figuring this thing out. I stood in front of it, staring it down.

I may have gotten thrown out last night, but it wasn't as bad as before. Maybe I'm doing something right. I need to keep calm. For example, the first time I was thrown because I was scared, I had no control and I may have panicked which caused 'overcorrection.' Maybe if I were to keep calm, it would prevent over-correcting? I don't know. It's worth a try.

"Are you ready?" Dash waited by the light pole.

"Yeah." I nodded, looking down then back up to it. I stepped up, until I was sucked into it. The force of it pulled me through, strong. At first, I was thrown hard to the right, then left. My breathing was off the charts. I slowed them, taking deep, easy breaths. Trying to relax myself. I straightened the path I was going, being a little more stable. I was able to now keep myself in the dead center. Well, being in here it was a little hard determining if you were really in the center of it or not, but my senses told me I was.

I saw different lighting in front of me, telling me I was coming to the end. Here we go.. I tried my best to stay still, hoping it would work. Feeling the warmer air at the end and different atmosphere, right when I was about to make my exit, at the last second, I was thrown to the hard right. What?!

I got a slightly more of a close up with the clouds, gravity got a hold of be, forcefully pulling me back down. When I got to the end of my fall, I went into darkness, only for a moment. I didn't feel exactly pain, just the discomfort of the landing. Light poured back over me, looking up I saw Kent's face. His fingers uncurled from me, I pushed myself back up. Ugh!

"Dang it!" I growled, hitting my hand on his finger, looking over the edge of his hand while he brought me back down to the ground. Knowing I couldn't have hurt him from that simple act.

"If it makes it any better, you weren't thrown as high as you did the first time." Kent brought up. When I got off, I shot him a quick glare, brushing myself off and walking away to meet back up with the other kids who successfully made it through.

"You did good." Kaitlin gave me two thumbs up.

My eyes wondered over to her. "No, I didn't. I still got thrown."

"Okay, that was better than me on my.. What is it for you? third time? Fourth? Whichever, it took me FOREVER to get it right." She told me.

"Then what do you do to, 'get it right?" I turned more to her.