Chapter Five

I stood in the same spot, unsure of what to do. I looked around to scan the rest of the room. It was bigger of course than what they would consider a normal size kitchen in this world. Straight ahead of me, there was a little section that had the stoves, cabinets, fridge, cookery things and so on. The left side of the room, it looked like another one of those booths in the process. It was unfinished, in pieces.

"Mavis."

My attention snapped to the right of me, seeing Dash looking at me. He gestured with his hand for me to come over. I gazed at him for a moment, then took little steps towards them all. All of the other children were already in their spots on their side of the booth, on the opposite side I saw Kent, and Dash sitting next to him on the outside.

"Come on up." Dash invited. I looked to the stairs, I touched the railing on them and made my way up. The table was at the right distance from the seat so I could still walk on normal flooring instead of walking on the seat. The whole "inside" of the booth was taken up, crowded. So I had to sit on the outside. I awkwardly took a seat, I wouldn't dare look at either Kent or Dash. I kept my eyes down.

I was lost in thought, then a plate was set in front of me. It snapped me out of my mind, looking down at what was given to me. Spaghetti and meat balls? When was the last time I had this? Twelve? What must have been a pain for them making this is trying to bring the food down to our size so it would be easier to eat it. My meat balls did look a little weird, shape wise. They must have had to keep chopping it up, same for the noodles. It all looked so good! But the thought of eating in front of them made it uncomfortable to me. I looked up, seeing Dash glance at me every once  in a while but mostly talking to some younger boy. Something I have noticed was all of the kids were younger than me, or at least by a little bit. There were a few that looked about my age. But how many were here all together? How many does Dash keep here? Deep in thought and without paying too much attention, I picked up a fork and stabbed a meat ball, taking a small bite. While I chewed on that, I glanced up once again. Catching a small sight of a grin on Dash's face while he moved his head to the side.

Okay? I ate a little more but when dinner ended, I didn't eat too much. I nibbled on what I had but I didn't eat it all. How could I? I was in a uncomfortable situation and I kept catching Dash glancing at me. Keeping an eye on me, being sure I was eating? I don't know. Of course Kent kinda didn't care. He got along with the other kids so well... and yet with me... I don't know. But how rude I guess I could be, I'm surprised Dash had stuck around me and showing me kindness and respect. It's a little strange, but then again I guess that's just him. Maybe he understands my situation or he's just flat out more mature than Kent..... Yeah, he's definitely way more mature.

"Do you all need a lift to your rooms?" Kent got up, picking up a box from a table.

"Yes please." A little girl ran down the stairs.

"Yes!" Another child said with the rest of the kids following them. I sat in the same spot, watching what they did. Kent lowered the box while they all climbed in. It's a way to carry them all. Understandable, since walking from one side of this building to the other is going to be a little bit of a longer walk compared to these guys. When Kent got them all in, he looked to me.
"Mavis, you want a ride?"

I shook my head. "No, thanks." I looked away, pushing my plate away. Kent got up and walked out of the room. I turned to the side so I could better get out of the seat, going down the stairs. Before I could reach the door, Dash got in front of me, offering a hand. "Personal escort?"

"No thank you." I walked past him, trying to push the door open.

"You know, I'm not gonna lie. I'm a little worried about you."

"You're worried about me?" I turned to properly look at him, trying to lean back onto the door to keep it open.

"You didn't eat as much as I hoped you would. But then again I guess that should be expected. Just," He started, taking a breath. "If you ever need to talk to me, don't be afraid to."

I was going to say something else but stopped myself. I just nodded instead. "Will do." I quickly turned away, casual speed walking off. Half way down the hall I realized something. Where was I even going? They are all about to get ready for bed right? Where do I even stay? Welp, I guess this is the time I can do a little type of exploring or possibly even a way out. Coming up on the stairs, I looked down them. I actually think it'll be faster going this way than the ramp when it deals with going down. When coming up, the ramp is a lot less tiring. I sat down on the first step and slid down onto the next, then the next until I was finally off of them. I sighed, going down the hall to my right. I kept walking and walking until I came up to another hall that I heard a lot of talking coming from. I looked around the corner, seeing all of the kids going into an individual room.

So they have their own rooms to? I heard foot steps behind me.

"You did good on finding the hall."

I quickly turned around to look up. Dash stood behind me.

"I'm sorry I forgot to show you to your room."

"M-my room?" I asked.

"Yes, of course you have a room." He walked past me, heading to the door first on the right.

I hesitantly took steps up to him, he opened the door for me. I walked in, it looked like a normal giant bedroom. Of course nothing was my size, maybe except for these stairs that lead to the night stand, but that was it. Wow... "This is all mine?" I looked around the room.

"Yup, specifically for you." Dash nodded.

My eyes landed onto the window, having locks on it. "It's specifically mine because there's locks on the windows?"

He nervously laughed. "Yes, well that's normal for new comers and you're known for running. But they will be taken off when you warm up."

I rolled my eyes, heading for the stairs. I quickly marched up them, the nightstand somehow connected to the bed so I could just walk across. Once I walked onto the bed's surface, I almost lost balance from the soft 'ground.' Dash pulled the covers back so I could lay down. I sat down, kicking off my shoes. He took them from me and sat them onto the night stand.

He looked like he wanted to say something, but he stopped himself. "Well.." He started, "Good night." He got up, heading for the door. I didn't even respond back to him. He got to the door, looking back at me one last time before leaving and shutting the door behind him. I fell back onto the huge pillow. I hate myself for being so stupid. It was ridiculous for me to be thinking I could run back home without him finding me when he was that close. I should have at least ran another direction, mislead him, just something else instead of going straight back! Then maybe I would be still on my old couch, isolated from people.... Safe from people and giants alike.

I mean, Dash just wanted me because I knew that giants were real.. Right? We kinda have a small history together. But still, what does my future hold while I'm here? at least I don't have to worry about being picked on by those neighborhood boys again, unless there's some kids just like them here. I........

I sighed, changing my course of thought. I'm not giving in.