Chapter Forty-Seven

I wasn't expecting my Father to be like this at all, I always thought he was going to be a careless person and that he really wouldn't care about me. So it really surprised me getting the reaction I did.
I twirled a piece of grass in between my finger, I sat in a grave yard, having my knees up to my chest.

I looked back to the tomb stone that sat in front of me.
Written on it, was the name Victoria Geltz.
I wish I could have met her..

I heard footsteps begin to approach me, and then a strong presence next to me.
A shadow casted over me. I already knew who it was.

"How did it go?" Dash kneeled down, resting his elbow onto his knee.

I breathed.
"I guess okay."

"Just okay? Did something happen?"

I only responded by shaking my head.

He exhaled. "I understand you have a lot of things going on now. But you still have plenty of time to decide. Don't feel pressured or rushed."

"I don't, I just.. I have too much on my mind now." I played with the grass between my fingers.

"I understand." He nodded, then his eyes went to the tomb stone in front of me, he stared at it for a moment before speaking again.
"I'm sorry."

I looked up to him, having my arms wrapped around my legs. " You don't need to be, I guess it just makes it a little easier that I never really knew her."

He was quiet for a moment.
"I see," he looked off to the side, I followed his gaze to see the others waiting by the portal.
"Are you ready to go or do you want more time here?"

"Yeah, I'm ready." I stood up onto my feet and walked past him to the portal.
He watched me leave without saying another word, he returned his gaze back to the tombstone, bowing his head for a couple of seconds, paying respects. Then he stood back up and calmly walked away, following behind me.

"Hey, How'd it go?" Riley asked, as I walked up to him.

I shrugged my shoulders. "It was something...." I looked down, rubbing my arm. "Something I really wasn't expecting.."

"Do you want to talk about it? Or is it too personal?"

I guess I could tell Riley, he is my best friend. I should probably have someone to consult to. Maybe I could have a better idea  of how to handle this whole situation. I never in my life thought I would be able to meet my own Father, or even know who my parents were.

"I guess... When we get back." I walked past him, just wanting the travel through the stupid thing forming in front of me to be over! My hair blew back in response to the portal opening with such power. Why couldn't there be an easier way to go back and forth? It's pretty obvious that I suck at going through it. Even that children can do it, I looked over my shoulder to all of the other kids who were waiting to go through.

The light that emitted from the swirling thing grew brighter for a split second just as Kent went through. I turned back to the portal, clenching my fists tightly. I will figure this thing out one day, even if it's not today or tomorrow, I will learn and I will become more independent. I won't need to rely on them so much. I can do it, I will.

I closed my eyes just as I went through.
Long story short, I got out the other end pretty quickly, Kent's hands breaking my fall.
When everyone else had gotten through, I walked into the building with Riley by my side. The lights in the hallway were dim, we traveled down that hall for my room.

"So what was he like?" Riley started the topic.

"Surprisingly.. nice. We can probably just say he was the complete opposite than what I was expecting he would be." I yanked the rope for the door handle down, the door slowly opening.
We walked into the darkening room, Riley shut the door behind us.

"Well I guess that's good that you were able to get some type of closure with him." Riley followed me up the stairs to the nightstand and to the bed.
"Being able to figure out what you needed to know so you should be more at peace I guess you could say."

"Riley.."

"At least that's out the way now-"

"Riley." I spun around, cutting him off. My hair smacked me in the face from how fast I spun around.
"He wants to get to know me.."

Riley just stared at me, completely silent. He seemed at a lost for words.
"Really?.. So.. what are you gonna do?"

I looked down. "I don't know.."

"Are you thinking about staying with him?" Riley took a few more steps closer.

"No!....Maybe... I don't know!" I fell down onto the bed, my hands onto my head.

Riley came over, sitting down next to me and setting a hand onto my back.

I gripped onto my head in frustration. "I thought I would hate him, I expected him to be a careless drug addict. He surprised me, I don't know what I want. I don't want to leave you and Maddie, the others.. But I know he wants me in his life and I don't know how to take it, I don't know what to do.."

Riley was quiet for a while, then he patted my back. "Hey, I can't control your life. I would want you to be with us, but this is your life. Go down whichever path you want, whatever you choose. If you decide to stay with him, we will understand. Or if you want to stay with us, we will gladly accept you."

My Dad may want me in his life now, but why didn't he try to find me before? I wasn't necessarily bound to the orphanage, he could have came and visited me. It just seemed that he didn't even try.. Yet Dash and Kent.. They made more of an effort than my own Father. They chased me for three years. I internally laughed at this thought.
In a ways, you can really tell who seemed to have cared the most.

I don't believe I truly want to leave, but this will be something I would defiantly have to think more about.