Chapter Thirteen

"I got a ball, Rob." Linc was holding out his new hockey ball for Rob to see. His name Lincoln Bridgestone was written in meticulous handwriting with permanent marker.

"So how'd you go practicing?" Rob put his hand on Linc's shoulder as they headed across the field to where he had set out some orange cones. "Did your mum let you practice on the carpet?

Linc's face closed in as he shrugged. "Becky got me a rug from Bunnings and I did it down stairs." He face brightened as he smiled and said, "She got me the ball too. I practiced every day. Becky said I'm good."

"That's great, Linc." Rob grinned at him and wondered what the kid's mother had said because he hadn't looked happy. "How many times did the ball get away from you?"

"A few times but I got better. I just gotta get me leg moving then I'll be able to go faster."

"Don't worry about speed just yet. Control is more important because once you can control the ball you can do anything with it." Rob set down the bag of balls and called, "Okay guys, come and get a ball. Let's go. One at a time. Keep the ball on your stick. I want you to follow the white line, and then come back to me through the cones."

The boys did as he asked. When they had finished one run, Rob looked at each player. "I can tell who practiced and who didn't so just for fun let's see if I'm right." He pointed as he spoke. "Did, did, did, didn't. Did, didn't, didn't." Rob grinned. "How right was I? Put your hand up if I picked correctly."

The boys laughed as they all held up their hands.

"How could you tell?" Carl frowned because he was one of the didn'ts.

"It wasn't hard, Carl." Rob cocked his head. "If you want to be good at anything then you've got to practice. But don't worry about it. Today's another day. Let's get on with training."

Rob ran them through the hats again and after a while paired them up, so they could push the ball backwards and forwards to each other. He had an odd number, so put Carl with himself to start with, and then reshuffled so each boy could have a turn with him and he could give them a bit of one on one.

He watched Linc struggle to get the ball when he missed trapping it or if his partner pushed the ball too wide. He'd have to try and do something more to get the kid more flexible. Rob wondered if he could talk to Linc's parents to find out what exercises the physio had him doing so, he might be able to incorporate them into the training session or, work with Linc on his own. He'd talk to Drew because to talk to Becky would be a waste of time.

When the session was over Rob searched the grandstand for Becky. She wasn't there. He had avoided her in every lesson and never said a word in Maths B.

He waited until Drew came across the field to have a chat but Lizzy touched him on the arm.

"Hey." She smiled up at him. "You're good at that. I'm amazed at how some of those boys are controlling the ball after only one session."

"Thanks. They're a great bunch of kids. Real keen to learn."

"What will you do with Linc?" Lizzy kinked up her nose as she added, "Surely he won't be able to be on the team."

Rob frowned down at her. Lizzy's face turned beet red. The kid was great with the ball and it ate at his guts that people could dismiss him like that. Determination flourished in Rob's conscious. He was going to get this kid moving if it killed him.

"I'm sorry." Lizzy looked up at him from under her brows, and then quickly looked away. He'd just told her off without saying a word. She realised what Trin meant by him talking with his eyes. "I... I... didn't mean anything nasty by it. Just he's going to have a hard time keeping up isn't he?"

"He handles the ball better than the rest." Rob felt a little sorry for her. He knew she'd picked up his vibe. "I'll work something out."

She smiled and touched his arm again. "Do you want to come to the café with Jake and me? I said I'd take him."

"Sorry, Lizzy. I've got to get to work. Maybe another day." He smiled at her and realised Drew was gone so his chance for a chat would have to wait until tomorrow. "Come on. I'll walk you to the gate."

They walked in silence. Rob knew he was making her uncomfortable but he didn't know what to say.

"I am really sorry, Rob. I didn't mean it in a bad way." She looked up at him as she spoke, "I hope you're not mad at me."

Cute factor ten. Rob studied her. Did he like her or not? She was hot but there was something empty shellish with a flash of interesting, about her. "To be honest, Lizzy, it did piss me off a bit. The kid needs people to be supportive. Drew says he's come a long way since the accident so I figure he can only get better." Rob gave her a serious look. "I want to have a chat with his parents to find out his exercise routine and incorporate it in his training."

"Oh..." Lizzy looked at him doubtfully.

"What? You don't think that's a good idea."

"It's not my place to say, Rob, but you might find that harder than you think." Lizzy's eyes fluttered to meet his, and then flashed to the distance and back again.

Rob stopped walking and took hold of her upper arm. "Lizzy. Can you just say what you mean?"

"Well...there's only his dad and Becky. Linc's mum died in the accident."

The air left Rob's lungs with such force his stomach muscles clenched and tightened. He had to drop his bags and lift his arms above his head to gulp in a breath. "Fuck..."

No wonder the kid gave him a weird look when he'd asked about his mother letting him practice on the carpet.

Another punch of guilt ripped through his chest. He'd told Becky he felt sorry for her mother having to put up with a bitch like her for a daughter. No wonder she hated him.

"Shit, Lizzy. I didn't know. Fuck..." Rob ran his hand through his hair. "I gotta get to work. Thanks. Thanks for telling me." He leant down and kissed her on the cheek.

Lizzy ran her hand up his arm. "You weren't to know. Don't upset yourself." She smiled. Rob Jarvis had just kissed her on the cheek as if he'd done it every day of his life. "I'll see you tomorrow," she said as she lifted her hand in a wave. Lizzy looked back as she caught up with Jake who was hitting his hockey ball up against the school wall. Rob Jarvis was really something.

Copyright © 2017 by Donna Fieldhouse. All rights reserved.

I'd love to hear your thoughts ☺

Thank you all. Please remember to vote, comment and follow.

I really appreciate it ♥