Chapter Fifty

The game was exciting. Becky soon realised how important Rob was to the team. She didn't know much about hockey but the ball kept coming back to him and he would push it on in a different direction to another player. The team worked like a machine. All their moves were fast and precise. Another roar went up as Rob trapped the ball and passed it straight on to Drew who pushed it into the goal box.

A tall man in a police uniform and a blonde woman sitting with Coach Creally and Mr. Bradshaw cheered and called out Rob's name. Becky watched them. Every time Rob or one of the others did something good, the woman jiggled on her seat and clapped her hands. The man beamed at her. He put his arm around her and kissed her cheek. Becky wondered if they were related to the coach because they seemed to know all about the game.

Kalara High won. The crowd in the schools section of the grandstand went wild. It'd been a close game and went right to the last minute, two to one. Becky stood with the other girls, cheering and clapping. She saw Rob look up to see her going crazy with Trin. He grinned and gave her a wave as the strange couple, along with Coach Creally, Mr. Bradshaw and other parents congratulated the team.

The police officer shook Rob's hand, wrapped his arm around Rob's shoulders, squeezed, and then stepped back so the blonde woman could reach up to hug, and then kiss him on the cheek. Becky put a hand to her mouth. These people had to be Rob's parents.

She heard Linc call Rob's name, and then watched him trot towards Rob. They fist tapped. Linc looked at the police officer as Rob spoke. He grinned, nodded at something that was said, and then shook hands with the officer.

The woman crouched down, so her face was level with Linc's. She said something, laughed at Linc's reply, and then rubbed him on the head.

When Becky focused back on Rob, he was looking curiously up at her. She smiled. He lifted his hand and beckoned her to come down. She drew in a breath then released it. If these people were his parents that meant his father was a police officer. That also meant he would know about her father. How was she going to handle this?

Becky gathered the bags and made her way down the grandstand. When she got near Rob, he was talking to the principal so she stood behind Linc and put her hands on his shoulders.

He looked back at her. "Hey, Becky. It was awesome wasn't it?" Linc's face was lit up like a street lamp. "Rob's a hero."

"He is." Becky couldn't help but laugh. Linc was so excited. She couldn't remember seeing him this happy in a long time.

"You must be, Becky."

On hearing her name, Becky looked up. The blonde woman was smiling at her.

"Of course you are," she said. "You and Linc are the spitting image of each other." She smiled again and held out her hand. "I'm Sheila, Rob's mum. He's told us all about you two."

Oh my God. Had he? Had he really? "Hello." Becky smiled. "He's Linc's coach and has been helping Linc with his leg." What else could she say? I'm your son's slutty girlfriend. Becky glanced quickly at Rob. He was in conversation with the coach but caught her eye. He smiled then went back to listening to what was being said to him. Becky returned her attention to his mother.

She glanced at her son, and then focused back on Becky saying, "Is his leg improving?"

"Yes. He's doing a great job. We appreciate all his help." Becky squeezed Linc's shoulders. "Linc thinks he's a God."

"That's because I am." Rob stepped in beside them. "Aren't I, mate?"

Linc laughed and shook his head. "No. You're a magician," he gushed. "You reckon I'll be as good as you one day."

"Of course. But you've got to practice."

"Hey, Guys." Greg stood between Becky and Rob. "Are you coming to Southgate?"

Becky nodded.

Rob grinned and said, "Wouldn't miss it for the world." He turned to his mother. "Greg, this is my mum, Sheila." He jerked his head back at Greg. "Greg's our centre forward."

"I know. That last goal you scored was amazing."

"Thanks Mrs. J." Greg beamed and held up his hand. "Nice to meet you." He cocked his head at Rob. "See you down there."

As he walked away, the tall police officer took his place. Sheila gripped his forearm. "Michael. This is Linc's sister, Becky."

For some reason a surge of fear tightened in Becky's chest. She felt her face colour as she murmured, "Hello."

"Well hello, Becky. Nice to meet you."

His face lit up and his eyes sparkled as he held out his hand. Becky recognised the look. Rob did it all the time. She instantly smiled, took his hand but didn't know what to say.

Linc saved the day. "Carl's mum wants to talk to you, Becky. We want to have a sleep over and I said I gotta ask you. Can I? Can I please stay over at Carl's tonight? His mum said she'd take me to the game with Carl tomorrow but you'd have to bring my shoes and stick and stuff cause I didn't pack them."

Becky grinned. Linc's enthusiasm was so refreshing. She looked from Rob's mum to his dad and said, "It was nice to meet you. I better go and sort this." She held up her hand and glanced at Rob. "I'll see you."

He gave her a puzzled look but didn't say anything.

There was no way she was going to let them know she was going to the café with Rob and the others. Becky sucked in a breath and steered Linc to where Carl and his mother were waiting.

By the time everything was arranged, Rob had disappeared. Becky wasn't quite sure what to do. His parents were still there talking to the coach and a few others. She shuffled her backpack on her shoulder and headed to the café. As she walked, she sent him a text. What to say? 'You are an amazing player.  I'm walking to the café now. Where are you?'

A reply came back almost straight away. 'In the showers. If you wait, I can drive you.♥ I'm just getting dressed.'

Becky beamed at the love heart. 'Almost there.' Her finger hesitated over the send button. Should she leave the love heart? He'd probably like it. She hit send before she could change her mind.

Copyright © 2017 by Donna Fieldhouse. All rights reserved.

Thank you all. Please remember to vote, comment and follow. ♥♥♥