Chapter Twenty-Eight

As Rob crossed the lawn, with his back-pack slung over his shoulder, he spotted Becky and Linc already in the pool amidst the hoard of other people. He'd had plans to do a serious workout. Maybe he'd have to leave it until they could use the school pool.

He wondered whether Becky worked every Friday afternoon because coming to the public wasn't ideal. He pulled off his shirt, dug around in his bag, put the ball aside to use later and grabbed the set of Styrofoam dumbbells.

"Hi, Rob." Linc made his way through the people lying on towels. "We've got our stuff over there if you want to put yours with it."

"Yeah. Good idea." Rob lifted his gear and followed Linc to a tree against the fence. "There's a lot of people here today. Maybe we'll just have some fun instead of a workout. What do you reckon?"

"Becky said the same." Linc shrugged. "But it's up to you. You're the coach."

"What's Becky doing?"

"Just swimming." Linc shrugged and grinned. "I don't know."

Rob didn't know how she was going to feel about him getting into the pool with her. He hadn't expected her to actually swim. He grinned and wondered if she was wearing a bikini or full piece.

"Come on. Let's get in," he said to Linc. "We can do some stuff with the dumbbells because I don't have a kick-board." He headed to where he could see Becky's head and jumped in beside her.

Water splashed in her face. She huffed.

Rob watched her breaststroke away. So... still the Ice Maiden. He was hoping she'd be a bit more welcoming after yesterday. He chuckled. No bikini or full piece but swim shorts and a sun shirt. What a letdown.

He set Linc up with the dumbbells and got him to do some leg raises and other simple exercises to warm up. "Can you do breaststroke, Linc?"

"A little." Linc screwed up his face.

"I want you to hold the dumbbells in the middle and do the frog movement with your legs to where Becky is. I'll follow you." Rob wanted to see if she was going to talk to him.

Becky was in the corner holding onto the ledge when they reached her. Rob cocked his head. "Morning."

Anxiety swept through Becky. "Morning." She faced the wall so she didn't have to look at him.

"I'm not going to do much with Linc today. Too many people." Rob wished she'd turn around. He hated talking to people's backs. "Maybe we could play a game with the ball in the shallow end."

"Okay." She still didn't turn around.

"I mean you too." Rob paused. "That is if you want." She put her head under the water. Fuck, she was going to be difficult. Rob gave up. "Come on, Linc. Let's go back to the shallow end."

Becky's head popped up as they swam away. She knew she was being childish but she didn't know how to speak to him without all the aggression. She followed slowly behind. If he wanted her to play the game or whatever else he had planned, she would. After all, he was using his free time to help her brother and she was very grateful. Hopefully conversation would just happen and she wouldn't have to think too hard about it.

"I'll go and grab the ball." Rob put his hand out to Linc. "Give me the dumbbells and I'll put them away while I'm at it."

He headed up the stairs as Becky reached them. She watched him go and wished he'd wear a sun shirt. Becky grinned as she looked him up and down. He had a great body.