Chapter Fifty-Four

"It was a great game." Becky swung Rob's hand backwards and forwards as they walked to his car. "Linc's so proud of himself." She beamed and watched her brother walking in front of them with a few of his teammates.

"He should be." Rob nodded but didn't look at her. "He played great."

When they got to his car Rob let go of Becky's hand. He threw Linc's bag in the back seat, and then walked around to the driver's side and got in. The conversation he'd had with his father was eating him up inside and he really needed to talk to Becky about her home life but how to do it without pissing her off?

She climbed into the passenger side and sat facing him. "Is something the matter?"

"Nah..." Rob twisted in the seat to look out through the rear window. He hadn't worked out how to bring the subject up so best to leave it for a bit. "Where's Linc?"

Becky followed his gaze. Something was up. She was sure it had to do with her. Rob had been distant the whole day. His text message had bugged her but she'd convinced herself it was because he was busy organizing the team so no thought of love hearts. He hadn't waved or smiled at her when she'd sat watching the game with Mrs. Stephenson. His hello had been short. No kiss. She knew it had to be her because he'd displayed so much excitement over the game.

She bit on her lip. He must know about her father and everything that came with it. His father would have told him and now Rob regretted being with her. She felt a lump forming in her throat. Becky looked out the window. This would teach her for breaking her code. Never trust anyone because trust was a trap and she'd fallen for it. She'd let her guard down and now he was going to hurt her like everyone else she'd ever trusted.

Becky grabbed Linc's bag from the back seat, opened the door, and climbed out. "I gotta go." She ran to where Linc was standing with his friends.

"Becky!"

She heard Rob call her name, but kept going. "Linc," she said with a gasp as she dropped the bag at his feet and shoved ten dollars in his hand. "I gotta go," she gushed. "See you at home."

"Huh?" It happened so fast Linc stood dumbfounded with the money in his hand looking after her.

"What's she doing, Linc?" Rob pulled up and drew in a breath. "What's Becky doing?"

"I don't know?" Linc twisted up the corner of his mouth and shrugged. "She said she'd see me at home." He grabbed Rob's arm before he could move off. "Are you fighting again?"

"Ah..." Rob watched Becky cross the road and run into a side street. "No. I gotta go. You'll be right to get home won't you?"

"Yeah...I guess."

Rob nodded and took off. He had no idea what was going on. As he ran, he tried to piece together what had just happened. He'd been so preoccupied trying to work out how to talk to her, because he didn't want to offend her, that he'd ended up offending her anyway.

He caught sight of her taking a left turn and sprinted as fast as he could. "You're a cock, Rob. You should have just said yes when she'd asked if something was wrong. Yep. You're a cock. Shouldn't have worried about it at all. None of your business. Fuck. Stop talking to yourself and just run."

He was getting closer. "Becky!" She looked over her shoulder and darted across the street. Shit. She could run.

Rob caught her just as she got to the park near the highway. He grabbed her upper arm and yanked her to a stop. "Fuck..." He held on but couldn't speak. They stood staring at each other gasping for breath. Rob couldn't read her face. It looked strained but he didn't know if it was from running or if she'd been crying or angry.