Chapter Seventy-Three

"Okay. Jason. Linc. The same as last week. Across the field. Got it?"

"Got it, Rob," both boys said in unison and ran onto the field.

"Go, Linc!" Sheila and Becky jumped up and down on the edge of the field. "Go Kalara! Go!"

Michael chuckled and shook his head. "Kalara doesn't need a cheer squad with you two on the sideline."

They wrapped their arms around each other, poked their tongues out at him, and giggled. "Best looking cheer squad in the state," Sheila said.

Rob looked over his shoulder at his mother and laughed.

She caught him and cocked her head. "Why are you laughing? Fifty percent of this cheer squad is your girlfriend."

He held up his hands in defence and laughed some more. "I agree. Best looking cheer squad in the state." He crinkled up his nose. "Just not the best sounding one."

"Rob...!" Becky grinned. "You wait, boy. I'm gonna kick your butt later."

"Man, Becky." He pointed at his chest with his thumb. "When are you going to get it right? I'm a man." He laughed. "No. Hang on. God. I'm a God."

Becky rolled her eyes and tittered. "Only in your own mind." She pointed. "The ball!"

Rob quickly spun back to watch the game. "Go for it, Jason! Linc! Get ready! Carl! Come forward!" He sprinted down the sideline calling to his players.

Jason went forward. The attacker pushed the ball past him. Linc came across. Trapped it, and then pushed the ball back to Carl who slammed it away so hard that it shot up the right field to Jake on the wing who took off with it. He cleared it on the opposition's twenty-five line. Rueben picked it up and carried it to the top of the circle. Bam! Straight into the goal box.

"Woo! Woo! Woo!" Michael pumped his hand in the air. "Way to go Kalara! Great play boys! Linc! Fantastic trap!"

Linc beamed. Becky felt a lump form in the back of her throat. These people were so good for him. She had never seen Linc this happy and confident in his whole life. As she watched him grin, she was suddenly lifted from behind. Becky squealed. Rob tossed her in the air then caught her. She threw her arms around his neck giggling madly. "Rob!"

"Becky!" He beamed at her, planted a kiss on her lips, and then put her on her feet. Rob patted her bum and went back to the sideline. "Okay fella's! Minds back on the game! Let's do it again!"

The ball went backwards and forwards. The opposition scored. "Don't worry about it! Come on!" Rob called. "Get back into your positions! We can do this!"

By half time, the two teams were one goal each. Drew and Rob talked them through the pros and cons while they sucked on orange quarts. "It's all good guys," Drew said. "Keep your mind on the game and your eyes on the ball. We've got this." As each boy made his way back onto the field Drew and Rob high fived them.

Half way through the second half a police officer tapped Michael on the shoulder. "Can I talk to you, sir?"

Becky watched Michael frown, and then follow the officer away from the crowd. She focused back on the game, and then looked once more, over at Michael. He was running his hand up the back of his neck shaking his head at something the junior officer was saying to him.

The crowd cheered. Becky quickly looked back at the game. Kalara had scored again. She jumped up and down with Sheila. They pumped their fists. "Go Kalara! Go! Go Kalara! Go!"

By the time the cheering was over Michael was standing beside them. He looked down at Sheila and said, "I have to go into work."

"Really? But it's your day off." Sheila gave him a puzzled look.

He pulled the car keys from his pocket. "Yeah. Something's come up." Michael glanced at Becky and gave her a gentle smile. "Apologise to Linc for me please. He's playing brilliantly." Michael kissed Sheila on the forehead and pressed the keys into her palm. "I'm not sure how long I'll be." He jerked his head toward the officer. "I'll go in with Pete."

"Oh. Okay. We'll see you later then."

"Bye, Michael." Becky lifted her hand as he gave them a wave.

Just as they focused back on the game, the opposition scored again making it two goals each.

Rob and Drew called for the boys to get back into position.

Becky and Sheila continued their chant. "Go Kalara! Go! Go Kalara! Go!" However, no matter how loud they chanted or how hard the boys tried they couldn't score another goal and finished the game on a tie.

"It's all good guys." Rob and Drew beamed. "A draw is better than a loss. We're doing bloody fantastic," Drew said. "We lost one, won one and now a draw. For a first time team we can't ask much more than that."

Rob clapped his hands together and grinned. "By the end of the season we'll have this in the bag. Well done today." They went around to all the boys and high fived them.

Linc made his way over to Becky and Sheila. "Did you see me, Sheila? I stopped it five times in a row." He flicked his large blue eyes from one to the other. "Did you see it, Becky?"

Sheila gave him a squeeze. Becky rubbed the top of his head and said, "Of course we saw it. You did great."

"Where's Michael. Did he see me?" Linc spun his head from side to side.

"He had to go into work, Linc but he said to tell you that you played brilliantly." Sheila kissed his cheek as Rob came to stand with them.

"How about a celebration? Drew and Lizzy are taking Jake to the café maybe we could go too?"

"Yeah..." Linc beamed. "I want to."

"You three go." Sheila grinned down at Linc, and then back up at Rob. "Dad's had to go into work so I have the car." She jangled the keys. "I'm going to the shopping centre so I'll see you at home." She kissed each of their cheeks before leaving.

Copyright © 2017 by Donna Fieldhouse. All rights reserved. This book or any portion thereof may not be reproduced or used in any manner whatsoever without the express written permission of the author except for the use of brief quotations in a book review. This book is a work of fiction. Some places are real. All characters and incidents are products of the author's imagination. Any resemblances to actual events or persons, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.

Please vote, comment and follow.  I will follow back and read your work too ☺☺