Chapter Forty-Nine

"Dad's been on it again."

"What?" Becky lifted her eyes from the text message Rob had just sent. She hoped he wasn't driving and texting at the same time so decided not to answer him.

"The lawn's mowed."

"Shit. I hope he's been on something other than crack. I don't want him to be aggressive today." Becky bit on her lip. She really wanted to go to Rob's game tonight. "Don't say anything. We'll be as quiet as we can, okay."

The inside of the house was spotless too. Becky didn't know exactly what drugs her father took but there were differences to his behaviour depending on the drug used. When he cleaned, he wasn't normally aggressive. "Hey, Dad."

He was standing at the kitchen bench waiting for the kettle to boil. "Where have you two been?"

Becky smiled. "At the pool. House looks great."

Her father jerked his head. "I want you two out of here tonight. I've got some friends coming over so I need you to disappear." He pulled out his wallet and slapped fifty dollars on the table, and then pushed it towards Becky. "You take squirt to the movies or something. Stay at a friend's. I don't want you around. I got some business to take care of."

"Sure. No worries, Dad. We can do that." Becky smiled again. "We'll just have a shower, and then get out of your hair." She lifted the money and tugged Linc behind her. This was good. She smiled at the bedroom door. Better than good.

"Have a quick shower and pack a change of clothes. Hopefully we can stay at Trin's tonight." Becky studied her wardrobe. What to wear? She grabbed her azure sundress. Nope. Becky hung it back up. After this afternoon in the pool jeans and a t-shirt would be the safer option. She beamed. Rob Jarvis and his mouth were dangerous.

*****

Becky looked at the phone as they sat in McDonalds eating. It was only six-thirty and the game didn't start until seven-thirty.

"Where'd you get that?" Linc mumbled with a mouth full of chicken nuggets.

"Rob gave it to me. It's an old one of his. You prepay for the calls so there's no phone bill." Becky smiled and lifted some chips. "Don't tell Dad about it."

"I won't." Linc chewed some more. "Why'd Rob give it to you?"

"He wants us to be able to contact him if we need too. It'll stay in my school bag, okay." Becky moved in beside Linc. "Want me to show you how to use it?"

"Is it so he can pick me up for the game if Dad hits you again?" Linc looked up at his sister as he sucked on his straw.

"We're not going to talk about any of that to Rob, okay." Becky peered at him. "But I guess that's some of the reason because he figured something was wrong when I didn't go to school." Becky sighed. "Please don't ever tell him anything about Dad. I don't want him to think we're complete scum."

"Becky we're not scum." Linc put his arm around her neck and pulled her close. "We're the goodies, remember. The brave ones. Chosen to fight against evil so we can save other kids." He planted a kiss on her cheek. "I gotta go pee."

"Okay." Becky watched him go and wiped tears from her eyes. He'd remembered the story she'd told him after the accident. Their father had been on a three-day binge. Linc had been crying in pain and fear asking why they didn't live like the other kids at school who had nice houses and parents.

Becky told him they had been chosen by the Gods to live as they did so other children didn't have to. She told him only really brave kids were picked, to do the job of fighting against evil, to protect other children from crappy parents, and one day all things good would come to them because they were goodies. They'd even get a medal.

Becky wiped her face again and looked down at the mobile phone in her hands. She opened the text message Rob had sent earlier. Hey, beautiful girl. Miss you already.♥♥♥ She put it to her lips. Maybe the good things were starting to happen. Maybe they came wrapped in a package labelled Rob Jarvis.

*****

He was on the field warming up when Becky and Linc arrived.

"I'm gonna go and sit with Carl." Linc handed her his bag. "Can you hold this for me?"

Becky took the bag and climbed the grandstand to sit with Trin and the others.

"I was starting to think you weren't coming." Trin moved so Becky could squeeze in.

"The bus was running late," Becky said.

"Rob didn't offer to pick you up?" Trin frowned as Becky sat.

"He worked with Linc in the pool this arvo, and then had stuff to do." Becky smiled. "I don't mind. I would have caught the bus anyway and I don't expect him to go out of his way or change his plans for us."

"Oh... what a good girlfriend you are." Trin kissed her cheek and beamed. "I wonder if I'll be a good girlfriend one day?"

"Never." Becky chuckled. "You're great. A cool chick. But... bad..."

"Rob said that too." Trin laughed, and then suddenly stopped and bit down on her lip. She looked at Becky hoping she hadn't heard what she'd said.

"When did he say that?" A surge of anxiety ran through Becky's body.

"One day at the café." Trin grinned and flapped her words away. "You weren't there. I was joking around with one of the other guys and Rob said I was a cool chick. But bad. Cool but bad." She grinned, and then elbowed Becky. "Game's started."

Becky focused on the game. She spotted Rob, watched him intently, a swirl of unease roiled in her belly as she wondered what Trin really meant. She glanced at her friend again. Another surge of uncertainty flourished. Becky sucked in a breath and told herself to stop being stupid. Trin was the one who encouraged Rob to ask her out.

"Hey, Trin. Do you think Linc and I could stay at your house tonight? Dad's having a party and we don't want to be there."

"Yeah. No worries." Trin glanced at her, and then focused back on the game. She elbowed Becky again. "I'm watching Scott Masters. He's kinda cute."

"Ah...is that why you're wondering if you'll be a good girlfriend?"

"May... be..." Trin bumped up against Becky and put her fingers to her lips. "Shush..."

Copyright © 2017 by Donna Fieldhouse. All rights reserved.

Don't forget to hit the star and make a vote ☺☺

I really appreciate it!