Chapter 8: The Morning After

The next morning I wake up naked. "let's get one thing out of the way- I want a good look" Prince says He puts his hands on my waist, stands back and looks at my scar. "Lots of people have scars like that." He kisses me."Now we need to have a talk-you ever been in love before?"

"You know I haven't. You're the first man I've ever loved. " I reply as I get dressed. Amethyst walks into our room and finds a cat toy.

"Love isn't conditional. It also isn't shallow."

"How come we didn't have much fun in bed the other night?"

"I saw your bandage and worried you weren't healing right. I haven't stopped being concerned since you went to the hospital."

Now I feel foolish. This nice man cares about me and I was upset over a scar. Prince kisses me. "I love you," he says,"but you bully yourself more than those kids at school ever did"

"The biggest bully was Josh, my babysitter! He was nice around my parents but when we were alone, he'd beat me when he felt like being mean which was every time!"I exclaim.

Prince takes my hands."Penelope...that's terrible" he gasps.

"For a couple years, starting when I was 12. Josh would beat me once or twice a week while telling me how worthless, ugly, fat,etc I am. Afterward I would hide in the basement until he went home."

"I wish you'd told me sooner." Prince holds me close and nuzzles my neck."None of those things he said are true."

"My body is awful. Dad was a jock in high school but has a slow metabolism. I inherited his body type. Especially his big legs..."

Prince places a finger on my lips and shakes his head. "No. Those are nice, athletic legs. Plenty of women have to work to keep their weight down. There's nothing wrong with you."

"Why does the standard of beauty have to be so narrowly defined? It'd be be nice if someday that changed. Hopefully, my photography will be a part of that." 

He smiles,"When we met I thought you had a body like Venus de Milo. Well, with a couple of nice strong arms"

"They should be. Been lifting since I was 12. Used to train on my Dad's weightlifting equipment while waiting for Josh to leave. "

Prince kisses my forehead. There is a long period of silence. Neither of us know what to say. "You didn't need to do that elaborate striptease last night to turn me on." He insists

"Well, it worked,"I smirked.

"Where'd you learn to move your ass like that?"

"You, Grace and I picked up a couple things from the drag show."

"Things that work on stage or that Grace does for her flings aren't for people who actually care about one another. If you want to strip for me, keep it simple. "

"Okay."

"I'll fix you a nice breakfast."

Amethyst follows us into the kitchen for and I feed her while Prince cooks. We take our time having breakfast. "I guess I need to tell you Carter sent a diamond watch to me but I sent it back" I inform him.

"Shit! He's still chasing you!"Prince yells. He lowers his voice,"Maybe seeing you're the type who returns diamonds will make him see you're really not interested."

"Let's hope"

"Hmmm...that reminds me, someone has a birthday coming up. I'm going to get you something real nice"

"No diamond watches please. "I giggle,

We sit in the living room, cuddled up on the sofa. "Since you were so open with me about your babysitter, I'm going to tell you something. When Margaret and I were together, people weren't as accepting of an interracial couple. Her dad was a racist and she got yelled at often for being with me. She put up with it because she loved me and believed in me. I was not welcome in his home, he let me know that. Her mom was really nice though. When we'd be out in public holding hands, giving each other kisses, doing regular things, people would rudely stare. Sometimes they'd say ugly things that I didn't want Margaret to hear. It made me upset that we couldn't have normal relationship. I'd be lying if I said the experience didn't affect me. " By the time he finishes, he's all choked up.

Other than Gloria chastising my Gypsy ancestors, I've experienced no racism of any sort, so I can only imagine how painful it must've been. I kiss him. Whenever he opens up to me I fall further in love with him. "Sugar, that's more than anyone,especially a teenage couple, should have to put up with." I say.

"Yeah. It is. I've got to get to rehearsal and you'd better get going to Sabrina's baby shower."

"I wanna go with you,"I protest

"Not happening. This afternoon Sabrina needs you more than I do."

That night, Prince is doing a show. I'm dressed in one of the outfits he had selected for me. Since I've been dressed to stand out and at his side for many shows, people are even more aware of me. Mom and Aunt Sophie have come. Dad stayed home because he's not much for concerts. 

Before the show Aunt Sophie finds me obsessing over how a merchandise table looks. "Penny! Look at you! That dress is perfect! You've really come of your shell since you met Prince. We've all noticed, you little late bloomer! In fact, Sabrina was telling me you have more poise than ever. Now stop messing with that table and let's go find our seats! We cannot miss your man's performance"Aunt Sophie comments 

 At one point during the show Prince calls out,"Hector bring my girl up here!"

Next thing I know Hector is leading me to the stage! Prince launches into "Life Could Be So Nice"and kisses me in front of the packed room! My heart races whenever he expects me to be on stage. Loud cheering comes from the crowd and I can make out some jealous bitches pouting. Aunt Sophie is shrieking with delight.

Prince and I head to the afterparty with Mom and Aunt Sophie. The two of us are wearing coordinating outfits. He enjoys introducing me to people and bragging about me going to New York next week for my Nikon photo shoot. "You met my girlfriend, the model yet?" he playfully says to acquaintances. This makes me blush.

In bed, he snuggles up to me. "I want to go with you to your photo shoot." He requests,"I'm so proud of you."

"That would be nice." I kiss him as he strokes my hair. 

Do think Penelope should've told Prince about her babysitter sooner?

What do you think Prince will get Penelope for her birthday?