Chapter 56: Tell the Fans!

Penelope narrates:

Prince sent me down to the nail salon after I photographed a local bakery. He insisted I get my nails done for tonight. Normally,  I'm fine doing my own but Prince likes me to see a professional for special occasions. 

Tonight is special-very special. Prince thought it'd be great to invite fans to a one man show at Paisley Park and charge just enough to cover the cost of security and clean up. What they don't know is that he is going bring me onstage to announce our engagement to them! The engagement announcement my mom wrote will be in tomorrow's paper.

At home a pretty white dress Prince picked out is waiting for me. It had to be white, according to him, because I'm his bride. Thank goodness he chose it, because I'd have had a hard time picking something.

 Thank goodness he chose it, because I'd have had a hard time picking something

Once my nails dry, I head home. Since I'm freaking out about tonight I decide to soak in the Jacuzzi tub Prince recently had installed. We have a phone extension in the master bath now, also Prince's idea. While I'm soaking, I call Vickie to discuss the upcoming ad campaign for her lingerie shop . I haven't told her or any of my friends about my engagement as it's supposed to be a surprise.

 Making phone calls from the Jacuzzi is very Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous to me. Even though I turn a profit with my business, I'm not rich.  Maybe I'll be rich on my own someday. If there was a show called Lifestyles of the Comfortable and Infamous, that would be a good fit.

When I finish soaking, I'm still nervous so I run around looking for Prince. When I find him, I ask how he's feeling about tonight.Prince hugs me,"I can't wait to present my beautiful fiance to my fans."

"Why'd you want to do this show?" I ask.

"Because I like my fans. They should know before the magazines. Getting engaged is the best thing that has happened to me."

"Sugar...it's the best thing that has happened to me, too. I want to be like my parents and be married for over thirty years."

He holds me closer,"So do I...in fact, I want to be the type of husband your father is."

"Why?"

"He looks out for his family, provides well, stayed with your mom through good and bad times. Worth looking up to. Now let's practice your stage entrance."

"You're making a big deal out of marrying Penelope Smith."

"Of course I am. It was a long time since I felt like someone actually cared about me as a person before I met you."

There is a laugh I'm now trying to hold in because he'd had some stunning women prior to me. Many men would want marry them, but Prince left each one and ended up dating a woman who started out as a thick janitor.

"Please tell me you thought someone other than Margaret loved Prince the man vs Prince the star." I say.

"Wish I could. At least when you don't have anything you know who actually gives a shit. Remember that" Prince tells me. He has me walk over to him,"I'll say a few words," he says, "Then I'll take your hands and kiss you. Kiss me back" Repeatedly, we rehearse this .

Grace is doing my makeup backstage because I'm too antsy to do it myself. "Prince gave me this little gold cross I was wearing one like it in a dream he had where we were married and had children." I share as I fidget with it.

"Aww...that's sweet! I'm so happy you're engaged! About time someone realized you're wife material! Prince very lucky to have you...never forget that," she says.

"But, I'm the lucky one, he could have anyone and I'm so average." I sigh.

"Penny, you're not. Would I really have an average friend?" she laughs

I start giggling.

"In all seriousness, Please do not start second guessing yourself and ruin your wedding experience." Grace cautions.

I assure her I won't. "It's so real now...me being this permanent fixture of Prince's world as opposed to just his latest girlfriend and I'm not sure I can be the woman I need to be even though I know he's the one." I confess

"If Prince was a normal guy, what would you be thinking about?"

My face turns hot,"The wedding, where we'll live, when we're starting our family"

"See? That's what should be on your mind. Don't worry about the 'celebrity' aspect "

He's not just any "celebrity". This is Prince we're talking about. The most desirable man in the world. From backstage I watch, wondering what I have that's making him want to settle down. What if he is misjudging me and I'm not the woman he views me as? Why the fucking fuck am I questioning myself? 

Being publicly engaged scares me, the way being his girlfriend publicly first scared me. Can't I just be his secret fiance, then we can marry secretly and tell no one?

Later I'm waiting for my cue. He's singing "Adore" and I'm so nervous. What if his fans boo when he announces our engagement? I have gotten the occasional dirty look from people when we're out together.

The last note is played-my cue...here goes. The world will find out eventually. Time to suck it up. This our relationship-screw all who may disapprove. "Everyone should have a soulmate," Prince says as I walk out. He takes my hands, looks in my eyes and says,"I'm engaged to mine"

Though we rehearsed it,the words were kept secret from me. His statement is making me weak in the knees. In my heart, I know we'll be together forever. Husband and wife. Until death do us part. We tenderly kiss as the audience cheers. 

Thank you all for reading! Check out Volume Three ! 💜💜💜