Chapter 46: Red Carpet Time

Prince narrates:

Penelope walks into my office. "Gloria's daddy Cater came to see me..." she sighs

"Oh?" I ask.

"He said he only tried to seduce me to upset you because you've brought grief to his family. I threatened to shoot him..."Lawd! "Penny he's worth about a billion dollars and you threatened to shoot him?"

"Yeah. I was so scared but I don't think he took me seriously. He wanted to talk about Gloria. She's in the business side of the music industry now and he doesn't want you working with her. Carter said something about you being a criminal and having a police record." Penelope rolls her eyes.I just start laughing. Can't help it.  I tell Penelope the story, she isn't phased. "Well, I threatened to shoot somebody today. Guess we're a couple of outlaws", she quips.

I have mixed feeling about what she did. On one hand she was freaked out, on the other she wasn't being physically attacked. Looks like the future Mrs. Nelson and I have to have a talk."Penelope you and I have a special connection" I tell her as I pull her into my lap,"we've got a real future together." Penelope starts tearing up. "But if you keep up with that behavior you might find yourself behind bars. We can't have a relationship if you're in prison, Silly Girl."

"Want me to find a lawyer? It'd really be a 'He said, she said' case. Carter didn't even see my pistol. For all he knows, I was bluffing. I really think that how he feels. He seemed more annoyed than terrified."

"I'll let my lawyer know and it'll be taken care of. Now go finish packing we've got to leave early to make it to the Grammys tomorrow."

"Sugar...can I see your mugshot sometime? I'm sure it's a sexy one."

"We'll see"

When I call my lawyer he seems to agree with Penelope, that there probably won't be charges pressed. It's such a relief. Now I know be focused on the Grammys. It'll be her first time showing her arms on the red carpet. She was kind of bashful about it, but shows them at my afterparties and Paisley Park parties. I get it though, Pennelope can undoubtedly bench press a bit more than the other ladies on the red carpet so she looks a little different. 

It's time to get ready for the Grammys

It's time to get ready for the Grammys. Penelope's hair and makeup are all done. She zips up the gown we'd purchased at a high end consignment shop and giggles, twirling in front of the mirror in our hotel. "I look like an award!" she laughs.Normally she's got jitters and is worrying about something. I love this Penelope. 

"You're probably thinking of an Emmy

"You're probably thinking of an Emmy. And now that you mention it, I can see it." I reply. "What the Emmy for?" She can't keep the awards shows straight and I think its cute and down to Earth.

"Television." The engagement ring is in my pocket, it might be nice to purpose tonight, after the show. Penelope and I are dressed up, she looks like a dream- it would be straight out of a movie. But would it be too perfect? I want a romantic proposal but would this trying too hard, too "staged"? It would be, I decide so I sneak away with my carry on bag and place the ring back in it's box. WilI ever find the right moment?

"Going to show your legs next time?" I ask."No, even if they were leaner I wouldn't. I still get excited about having a reason for wearing a full length gown." She smiles.

 "Maybe you could wear a big slide slit."

"Who do you think I am? Marilyn Monroe in Gentlemen Prefer Blondes?" she roars with laughter.

"Who do you think I am? Marilyn Monroe in Gentlemen  Prefer Blondes?" she roars with laughter

"Did someone call for me?" coos a sing-song voice as someone opens the door. Marilyn.

Penelope's face sours a little. I know she'll never forgive her for suggesting she sell the Warhol. "No, we weren't talking about you." Penelope replies coldly while looking the mirror. 

Marilyn looks at Penelope, eyes wide. "Women's backs can look like that?" she asks.

"Yeah, anyone who does physical activity will develop their back muscles."I tell her. Marilyn looks like she's a naturally really skinny girl who never works out. Reminds me of Gloria, never want to think about that bitch again.

"We have to get going Sugar." Penelope informs me. She flexes her back muscles at Marilyn and laughs at her disgusted expression. I remember Gloria would make fun of people she thought were fat or ugly and I'd tell her off, but Gloria and I were younger and I figured it was a phase. Hopefully Gloria is less judgemental now.

Penelope takes my arm and we giggle all the way to the limo. It turns out to be a good night. I won and people loved how great Penelope looked. Marilyn's band was playing a bit at the after party. Marilyn looked like a fashion model- rail thin in a haute couture dress at the Grammys. She actually changed into a different dress for the afterparty. This is unusual behavior for a band manager. Marilyn must love attention.  Even though Penelope is my date, she only wore one dress all evening. "Sugar, you never cease to amaze me!" Penelope confesses at our hotel, delighted with my win. You have no idea how I could amaze you. 

We decide not to fuck because we have to get on the road for the Sign o' the Times tour tomorrow. 

Penelope narrates:

We always try to get a hotel room with a little kitchen so we can cook.  PRince is whipping up pancakes but today is different.  He's using a recipe from a cookbook Jasper wrote.  I took the pictures. "These food pictures are the best!" He smiles, holding the book.

"Sugar! You know I took them" I giggle.

"Did you? I had no idea!" he smirks.

"Jasper is already starting another cookbook. Gary thinks I should get a percentage of sales instead of a flat rate. Accountants. " I sigh.

"Maybe it's something to think about."

"I never have been paid a percentage before." 

We discuss this a while before moving onto the next conversation topic:Margaret's upcoming wedding.  We've decided to attend. There's a second reception in New York City for their friends out there. I definitely hope to go. They know a lot of people in the art and literary fields which is fun. Margaret lives  a such glamorous life.  She has always been beautiful, is a former Bunny, worked at Interview, has written for so many magazines, wrote a book, goes to parties with important literary people,is marrying a handsome gallery owner.  I could go on and on. 

Then I just roar with laughter. I am an idiot. Prince looks at me as though I've lost it. "Are you okay?" he asks.

"Yeah. Just sitting here thinking about how exciting Margaret's life is when I realize that I do some incredible things too" I sheepishly admit.

Prince smiles as though he knows something and replies,"You're just getting started."