Chapter 10: Trick or Treat

"Oh, that's perfect!" I exclaim as I look at myself in my Halloween costume. I'm dressed as Dorothy from The Wizard of Oz. The costume had been too long, so I'd had wardrobe hem it up a little bit above the knees, a much better length for me. "Thank you." I hug the seamstress. 

Being short, I love the wardrobe department. They often squeeze in a quick alteration when I'm too busy to do it myself or my dry cleaner is closed. I always tip whomever works on my clothes to show my gratitude. Now off to grab my sparkly red shoes - the best part of the costume. 

Mom has been dressing up as Glinda the Good Witch for several Halloweens to hand out candy

Mom has been dressing up as Glinda the Good Witch for several Halloweens to hand out candy. She's been wanting me to join her but I always felt to shy and/or fat to face all the people. Mom is so excited. She gets excited over little things. As I finish my hair, Prince comes up behind me. "Surrender Dorothy." he laughs as he kisses me.

 "it's nice that you're coming with me. " I say, "My folks like you around"

"It's usually hard to get a conversation started with your father, but once we do, it's okay.

Mom hugs each of us happily. "Penny, turn around! You look so cute!" She squeals."But have you lost weight since I saw you last?"

"In ten days? I wish!" I exclaim. Mom worries about me getting an eating disorder.

"You're thin enough."

"We're not having this argument again"says Dad with a sigh. Dad takes a picture of Mom and me. Dad was my first photography teacher, since it was a hobby of his. A very small closet was our dark room where we developed photos.

 Prince narrates:

Mrs. Smith and Penelope are waiting for the Trick or Treaters to arrive. Mr Smith says to me,"I haven't seen you in a long time. If you're going to play house with my daughter you need to visit once in awhile. " He puts an arm around me,squeezes my shoulder and smiles at me. My face gets hot.

"Dad! You're embarrassing him!" insists Penelope.Mr Smith shakes his head and hands me his camera. It's an older model but must've been a good camera back in it's day. 

He says,"Why not take a picture of Marshal Dillon? He's not doing anything." Marshal Dillion, their lazy Basset Hound looks up at us from his sleeping spot.I take the photo.

 "Ever develop photos with Penny?" Mr

 "Ever develop photos with Penny?" Mr. Smith asks.

"No, but I've watched her a few times." I reply.

"Come on. I'll show you how to do this." Mr. Smith takes me into the tiny workplace. He readies everything and explains what he's doing. Then he hands me rubber gloves. I assumed that he'd want to everything. He actually guides me through the process to develop the picture myself.

 I'm enjoying this because he's having a good time with it and is encouraging

 I'm enjoying this because he's having a good time with it and is encouraging. Makes me wish my father and I had more times like this together, sharing in each other's interests. Penelope doesn't know how lucky she is to have the family she does. We step out after hanging the picture up to dry. 

The neighborhood kids have started coming around now. It's fun watching Penelope interact cheerfully with the small children who exclaim,"Dorothy! Dorothy!" when they recognize her costume. Hopefully, she'll be that way with her niece or nephew.

 "Mrs. Smith. When is Sabrina due?" I ask 

"In two weeks."Mrs. Smith replies.

"Bitch still has leaner legs than me."pouts Penelope.

 "Penny!" scolds Mr. Smith, "It doesn't matter!"

She sighs and opens the door.

Penelope narrates:

I see a cute six year old and a man with him. My ex. "Lars?" I gasp.  

"Penelope?" he stammers. "This is my wife." He gestures to a gorgeous woman.

I compose myself,"Enjoying being a stepdad?" 

"Carson is my biological son" he beams.

WAIT A FUCKING MINUTE! Lars and I went on three dates and didn't tell me he was a father? I wouldn't have cared but it seems like something you tell someone. 

"Emily and I finally got married last year. Carson is happy his mommy and daddy are married now." Lars continues, "Honey, take Carson to the next house. I want to speak to Penelope outside."

Once Lars has me outside I ask,"What the hell do you want?"

"Listen, I just want to tell you not to let yourself grow old waiting for a marriage proposal from Prince. That man is not the marrying kind. I used to work for Vanity's dentist when she lived here.She was so sure her and Prince would last forever.

 Then I used to do the teeth of Allison, the sister of the receptionist at the dentist. Allison was dating Prince at the time. Allison was the type every man would want for a wife. She even cooked well. Sometimes she'd drop off lunch for the staff at the dentist. She was sweet like that but Prince just walked out on her. I don't even think he has respect for women."

I'm about to tell Lars off when Prince comes out with my coat. As he gallantly drapes it over my shoulders he says,"It's too cold to be outside much longer without your coat." Prince kisses my cheek 

"I was just about to go back in" I say,"Happy Halloween, Lars."

The whole night I have thoughts and concerns. Is Prince hiding things from me? He didn't mention Margaret for a very long time.  Why did he leave Allison? Who is Allison? Would he ever want to marry me? It took long enough to get used to the idea of being someone a man would date, so the idea of me being marriage material is insane.

As he drives us to Paisley Park, I look at him and wonder: am I sitting next to my future husband? Or is this relationship going to be like his others?

What did you think of Penelope and Prince's visit to her parents house?

Was it wrong of Lars to tell Penelope about Vanity and Allison?