Chapter 30: Nerves

Prince narrates: I'd scheduled a visit to see Mr. Smith today. He's very traditional and took awhile to warm up to me at all so asking for his "baby's" hand in marriage before proposing would probably make me look better in his eyes. 

Since Penelope left without warning after I spent time with Amber,I knew Penelope was "the one" because she showed me what life would be like without her. It sucked. I realized I needed her and had taken her for granted. I plan on proposing after the tour.

 Should I wear makeup? Maybe it would be best to bare faced to show vulnerably. Mr Smith has never said anything about my makeup though. This reminds me of the first time I met him, I knew better than to wear makeup that night.

Prince as a flashback:

Grace left to spend the night at her parents' house while Penelope is having me meet her folks at her apartment. We've only been together two months, but her parents are insisting on this meeting. They are a little too watchful over her and want to meet the first man she's ever told them about. No pressure, right? I set the table for dinner. "What should I talk to them about?" I ask.

"What you'd talk to anyone else you were just meeting and wanted to make a good impression on."she says. "they're here!" she calls out as she looks outside.

"Penny! You've gotten so thin lately! " Mrs. Smith says in a concerned voice while hugging her. Penelope has lost some weight, I have no clue how much. Her face is thinner and I've noticed her waist getting smaller.

"MOM!" Penelope gasps

Mrs. Smith turns attention to me, "It's exciting to meet you. Penny talks about you a lot." she smiles.

I haven't been this nervous in years. " You must be Penelope's dad." I say as I hold my hand out.

He takes it and smiles a tight lipped smile,"Yes, I am. Is that your car outside?" he ask.

"Yes."

"Pretty impressive."

"Thank you."

"Penny's car is a piece of crap. Makes the darndest noises I ever heard"

"We usually take my car on dates."

"It's needs to be fixed, I know." She sighs.

"Remember to take me with you so the mechanic doesn't dare rip you off for being a very young looking woman." Even for 23 years old she does look young.

She rolls her eyes" Mechanics don't do that. I'll check on dinner." Penelope says.

"I'll help!" Mrs. Smith calls out

"It's not like I'll burn myself!"

"Fine, fine."

"Excuse me,"I say. "Your parents seem to be concerned about you. You shouldn't be so sassy with them"

"Maybe you're right. But they baby me. They refuse to quit seeing me as a little kid!"

"If that's the worst problem you have with your folks, you're lucky" My past problems with my parents haven't come up. She doesn't need to know about that.

I get a quick kiss on the cheek" Let's call Mom and Dad in for dinner" she says.

We all get seated and Mrs. Smith starts the conversation"It's must be fun to see all the interesting things you do on tour."

"There's not much time for sightseeing when you're working hard getting the show to be just right." I reply.

"You ought to make time to see a few things, you may not always have the chance."

"Mom, Dad Prince has been teaching me to play Derek's guitar. I'm going to play a little after dinner." Penelope announces.

"We're looking forward to that!" Mrs. Smith smiles.

"Prince couldn't handle the thought of a guitar going unplayed when he found out Derek's just sat in the broom closet."

Mr. Smith looks at me. The cat has got my tongue tonight and I cannot speak much. I smile weakly then put a spoonful of food in my mouth.

"Is Penelope hard to teach?" Mrs. Smith asks.

"No, she just giggles a lot when she knows she messed up." I reply." But she tries hard. I'm going to have to find some music that's a little more complex for our next lesson."

"Just don't go trying to make a singer out of her. She's not cut out emotionally for that." Mr. Smith warns

"Dad! I'm waaaay to shy to do anything like that!" Penelope insists.

"Sir, it's just something we do for fun." I say very quietly.

"Speak up, I can't hear you" Mr. Smith replies.

I repeat myself, a little louder.

"Okay, that's fine." he says.

After a seeming long dinner we go into the living room to listen to Penelope play. Her parents make a big fuss as though she's written an Oscar winning score. "it's just a few chords" she lamments.

"But they were SO good!" Mrs. Smith exclaims.

They leave shortly after. I stand by the wall next to an open window hoping to hear what they thought of me. "Well?" Mrs. Smith asks her husband

"Prince isn't much of a talker-I don't like that. And Penny's weight loss is a little concerning. Normally she doesn't lose weight so quickly. Hopefully, she's not trying to please him." Mr. Smith replies.

"He's probably shy. But I'm worried she's trying to compete with his exes. They're all slim, exotic, overtly sexual singers. This is one of those times I wish Derek was still here."

"Me too. Let's go home."

Flashback ends

Maybe I shouldn't ask Mr. Smith what I was planning on, maybe I'll just make this a social call. On my way out, I pass the kitchen. Penelope and Krista are in there having post workout protein shakes. Krista's left hand has an engagement ring on it! She catches me looking at it. "Jasper proposed on Valentine's Day." she smiles

"Congratulations. Does your family like him?" I ask.

"Definitely! They say we're perfect for each other and it was meant to be. My parents knew the moment they met him" 

Wish it'd been that way for me Penelope's parents were just worried.

"Where are you going looking so nice?" teases Penelope.

"To visit Dad." I say. Hey, she didn't ask who's dad! It's not as though Jasper is more brave than me. If he can propose to his dream girl, I can tell Mr. Smith my intentions...I think.