Chapter 53: A New Spin

Prince Narrates:

Penelope gives me her engagement ring for safekeeping. She'll wear it when she gets back because we want our families to find out before the world does. 

At the airport, I can tell Penelope is nervous about the Spin cover. She's done covers before, Midwest- distributed fitness and auto magazines. Talk about coming a long way! It's a big step for both of us.

I remind my assistant to have Penelope's luggage set sent out for repairs-it's been through a lot of travel and needs it. Honestly, I'd have loved to by her a new set but the Smith family is very practical-Penelope included so I need to learn to be that way sometimes. Mr. Smith has been using the same luggage since his college days and Sophie bought him a new set a few years ago but he told her "Return it. Mine's still good" She did.

Margaret calls, to tell me all about her honeymoon to Italy. Her and Oscar just got back after a couple weeks there. They bought art for his gallery, rode gondolas, went sight seeing and did the whole tourist thing. Where should Penelope and I go?

Once Margaret is done talking, I tell her about Penelope running off to do the Spin cover. Margaret is beyond excited! "She gets to have her work in the magazines and not simply be in them for dating you!" she exclaims.

"What's so bad about being known for dating me?" I ask.

"Penelope has a talent. Why should she be known only as 'Prince's girlfriend'?"

"Hold up, Screwy Rabbit! This is a woman I intend to MARRY!"

"You told me that. Propose yet?"

"Nope" I lie.

"Perhaps someday people will call you 'Penelope's husband'!" Margaret laughs a bit.

Her statement makes me think: I've never really been the man behind the woman, so to speak. With previous girlfriends I've basically created albums for them and was wearing the pants in the relationship. Denise, for example, is probably still, to some "Prince's ex"

"Prince? Did I strike a nerve?" Margaret asks.

"What if she gets all these great opportunities and doesn't want to have children or even be in a relationship anymore?"

"If she wants you and a family bad enough, she'll work things out. Remember when we broke up? I had just gotten a small promotion at Interview and you were going to be with a manager in California. We were trying to decide what to do when I said 'I'll leave Interview and go with you! I can get a job at a Playboy Club in California!' I meant it too. You told me no, that I needed to be where the writing opportunities were. "

Now there's a day I remember clearly. We ended up agreeing to keep in touch and see where fate took us.

She continues,"I'm still grateful. If I'd followed you maybe I wouldn't be releasing my second book soon. You say you love Penelope, well for Heaven's sake, don't try to clip her wings so she's your little pet permanently beside you! It'll only create problems!"

"I'm not that type of guy!" I feel insulted.

"You're not cool with the idea of her being known for her photos instead of for you."

"It's just a new idea."

Because I'm feeling like an ass, I wonder who'd be a good fit for Penelope to work for. Finally, I think of someone to introduce Penelope to.
Penelope Narrates: