Chapter 28: Good Bye, Andy

February 22, 1987

I'm at work preparing an ad for a client

I'm at work preparing an ad for a client. THe radio is on and announces that Andy Warhol has died! All I can do is stare at the radio in is belief! "NO!" I cry out. Suddenly I feel numb as though I just lost a connection to Derek. A call to Mom gets me through my workday.

 At home a bouquet of flowers as colorful as any of Andy's Pop Art sits with a card that reads: His work will live on, my love

At home a bouquet of flowers as colorful as any of Andy's Pop Art sits with a card that reads: His work will live on, my love. When I see Prince, I collapse into his arms. He kisses me. "I know it hurts." He says.

"He...he...felt like a link to Derek." I sob.

"Why don't you go lay down? Maybe that'll help." Prince follows me to the bedroom with Amethyst and places her on the bed,"Try to cheer Penelope up would you?" he suggests to her.

She lays next to me and purrs. "Good kitty," I say.

A light knock on the door wakes me up. "Coming to dinner?"asks Prince's assistant.

My stomach rumbles at the thought of dinner. "Yes"

At dinner Prince puts up with my Warhol stories. I tell him about the gossip Andy and engaged in over the phone and the times I went to New York for work and met up with him. Prince just smiles. "Baby, I've got great news for you. Margaret and her fiance Oscar, remember him?" Prince asks

"Yeah"I reply

"They are planning a Warhol tribute at Oscar's museum..."

"How fun! Sugar, we'll have a great time!"

"No, I have to work on the tour preparations. You can go by yourself. It's not like you don't know anyone in the art community."

"But I barely know the hosts!"

"It'll be good for you to be around people who like Warhol as much as you"

That's not something I can argue. The tribute will be in three weeks and Prince will have hotel arrangements made for me. At least if it isn't good I can go to some of my favorite places in New York. "Can I bring Grace?"I ask.

"That's up to Margaret."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next day I wake up and look at my calendar. UGH! Annette and Prince's dancer Cat are coming over for costume fittings. Two perfect women changing clothes around Prince. Great. This is not something I'm equipped to deal with. Especially after all the sadness I feel about Andy. Luckily for me I know the Living Dolls drag troupe is having rehearsal today. I'll just go hang out with them.

"Penelope! How's our girl? " asks Gary

"Fabulous" I reply sarcastically, "Two hotties are damn near nude in from of my man"

"Isn't that 'A Day in the Life of Prince'?'" asks Cora Set

"Maybe but I'm not in the mood for that today., so I came here."

"What exactly is going on?" asks Gary

"A dancer and a backup singer are at Paisley Park doing fittings." I answer.

 (Dee Dee Desire)

 (Dee Dee Desire)

 "You need to cut him some slack." scolds Dee Dee Desire, "We know how hard it is to put a show together and our shows aren't as big or important as his. All of us need our partners, male or female to be supportive of us. "  

"Undoubtedly this is typical day in the life of Penelope..."says Cora before launching into a high pitched voice,"Next I want to get a photo of you shirtless doing a bicep curl. Let's adjust the lighting just right..."Uproarious laughter fills the room and even I have to giggle

"It's just a fitting." Spark Elle says,"I was a professional dancer and dated girls who were too. No one was trying to use fittings to pick up anyone"

They're right. I'm being silly. And hypocritical. Part of my job involves photographing bodybuilders in tiny outfits. Prince puts up with it, probably begrudgingly. "How is the fitting coming ?" I ask when I get home. Maybe I can find some way to help. Helping Prince with his shows makes me feel good.

"Cat's done, but we've having issues with Annette." Prince replies

"I can't wear this!" Annette hollers from the makeshift dressing area in the wardrobe room.

Prince sighs. "Get your ass out here!"

Annette steps out looking hot in a stretchy mini dress with a side cutout. "There's no way I can wear this onstage and be comfortable!"

"There's nothing wrong with it!" Prince snaps.

"Dear, Annette doesn't like it,"I say softly as I pull Prince aside," She's your friend. Right now, be a friend first and a boss second."

"Okay" he grumbles, "What don't you like, Annette?"

She looks at the floor "It shows some of my trouble spot-my stomach." she near whispers.

"Listen, and Penelope- this goes for you too: you don't have 'trouble spots', 'excess fat' or whatever you're gonna call it. You're a couple of fine ass chicks who shouldn't need to be told that!"

"Thanks but I'd still feel kind of naked onstage in this."

Prince start muttering something about having to have a whole new dress made. Just then I get an idea. I grab some black lace fabric and say,"What if we take this and use it as an insert with the cutout? Maybe that might help?"

"Actually, I'd feel a little less nude like that." Annette says, cautiously looking at Prince who is studying her.

"Let's do it then. It'd look just as sexy." Prince agrees.

Annette changes and I pin the lace to the dress and sit down at a sewing machine. Prince walks over to me and says quietly,"Thank you, I've never had a woman as vested in my shows as you."

"You're welcome, it's fun to watch your shows and know that I had even a tiny part in making it come together." I reply. Prince kisses me. After I look down to position Annette's dress on the sewing machine, I hear a pair of high heels walk into the room.

"Hello, Marilyn." says Prince.

Should Grace go to New  York with Penelope? What are your thoughts on Marilyn?