Chapter 45: Preparation

Prince narrates:

I get changed after rehearsal and head out to pick up some eye cream. Sophie was the one who got me using it in the first place. Shortly after I first met her she insisted I see her at her Macy's makeup counter where she's the head of the cosmetics department. I obliged and have been making periodic visits ever since. 

 She even helps select what gets sold in the cosmetic department here and asks Penelope to take note of what the trends are when we're traveling, especially internationally.

"Aunt Sophie, I need to buy some eye cream before I head out on tour." Crap! Did I just call her "Aunt Sophie"? Must be my thoughts of marrying Penelope messing with me.

Sophie replies, "Well, if you were my nephew, I'd be delighted. " She bags up a couple jars of eye cream and shows me the newest products. I used to have my assistant run this sort of errand before I met Sophie, but now I try to make time to do it myself to enjoy Sophie's company. We make small talk and I tell her about Penelope's realization that obsessing about her looks is a waste of time.

"Hallelujah! I've hoped she'd grow out of it! Went though that crap as a teenager-I was cursed with baby fat and pimples while the other girls seemingly passed over the awkward phase and woke up one day looking like the cover of Seventeen."Sophie laughs,"Seemed like the end of the world to me at the time."

"How'd you get over it?" I ask.

"Got older. Wanted to graduate with honors, so no time to obsess. I needed to study."

"And look at you now- smart, successful, and if I may so very good looking. You remind me of Penelope, only older."

"You're making me blush!" she squeals, "All kidding aside, she's been told she looks like me often. "

Sophie definitely has the same athletic build, sans the killer arm muscles because Sophie feels weight lifting is monotonous. Sabrina got a lean body from Mrs. Smith's side of the family and Penelope has been resentful.

Pulling my car into the parking lot of a jewelry store, I'm ready for the next item on my list for the day. It occured to me that I may find myself in a romantic situation with Penelope while on tour and want to purpose so I need a ring. The perfect ring.

"How may I help you, Mr. Nelson ?" asks Tom, the jeweler. Penelope has done a few ads for this place and he keeps re-hiring her so I'm bringing my business here first. He'd probably be the most help any way because he knows her well.

"Don't tell anyone but I'm looking for the perfect engagement ring" I admit.

Tom's eyes light up,"Let me show you some things!"

I'm shown tray after tray of rings. Nothing is right. "It's so hard to choose a ring she'll wear the rest of her life" I sigh.

"You'll know it when you see it." Tom assures me as he shows me another tray.

"None of those-they are cocktail rings. Penelope works with her hands, but I don't want something tiny. "

Tom places his last tray in front of me. "This it!" I point to a ring.

He tells me the price, stone details, carat weight and that it's a Gypsy setting

He tells me the price, stone details, carat weight and that it's a Gypsy setting. "Perfect." I reply with a smile,"She's part Gypsy."

"Then it was meant to be. Congratulations." Tom shakes my hand after I pay.

My hand shakes as I carry my bag to my car, knowing my my life will soon change forever.

Penelope narrates:

I'm putting together some advertising ideas for a client of mine. Ads are enjoyable for me when clients let me have real input instead saying "this is what I'm doing, this is the type of photo I want you to take." Gary's Virtue cassette that he sells out of the back of his car is playing in the background.

Gloria's daddy, Carter Wilson, opens my door, turns off my cassette player

Recalling how he came on to me awhile back, I'm terrified "Come near me and I'll shoot you." I say because I'm nervous. Only as a last resort would I pull the trigger. It would be the last thing I'd want to do. 

"Don't think you're the first person to threaten to shoot me" he replies.

"I have a pistol handy." I admit. It's in my desk drawer

"MISS SMITH! I came to talk to you about Gloria!"

What? "Gloria seems to be a strange topic from a man who came in here crossing boundaries!"

"Oh, that. I was faking it." He snickers. "Only wanted to get back at Prince for all the grief he's caused my family. I thought you were like other women who date wealthy men so I assumed..."

"That you could seduce me into pursuing an affair with you? You are a pervert, married, old enough to be my dad and you're very presumptuous to assume that all women are looking to get men with more and more money!" I interrupt. How dare he think I'm a golddigger! Penelope Smith has her own gold.

"Now, now, can we talk about Gloria, please? I'm very concerned about her."

"Fine go ahead before I don't feel nice anymore"

"She told me she's in the music industry now. The business side since that's where all the money is, according to her. I wanted to tell you and Prince keep an eye out. Really I don't want her mixed up with him again. He's a common criminal after all."

"He's not a criminal and not stupid enough to do business with her. Don't worry. Now get out."

"You don't know your boyfriend has a police record?" Carter sighs 

"You're making that up for whatever reason! Get out before I throw your ass out"

"My Gloria NEVER swears. She was raised better" He scolds before leaving

Gloria is insane and maybe the apple doesn't fall from the tree.