Chapter 37: Tribute

Grace and I arrive at the high end hotel Prince has set us up in. A basket of my favorite healthy snacks is waiting for us. I'm supposed to call him when I get settled in. "Put the phone on speaker so I can talk to him too" Grace insists

"All right" I reply.

"Penelope how are you?" Prince asks

"Recovering from the shock of seeing one of my Nikon ads as a billboard."

"Really? Damn! That's awesome, Supermodel!"

My face starts burning. "Thank you. You're on speaker, Grace wants to say hello"

"Hi!" Grace says.

"Did you like Margaret, Grace?" Prince asks

"She seems okay. But I'll be honest, she comes off as a little dull. She's a polite girl who writes. Not much interesting there."

Prince holds in laughter, HE knows there's more to Margaret than meets the eye. "People don't expose their uniqueness right away." he replies, "Girls, Margaret told me she wants to take you to an event the day after the tribute. She says if you play your cards right, you might get a high profile job, Penelope!"

It didn't occur to me that Margaret has connections that could get me work of any kind. "Margaret wants to do that for me?" I ask.

"Why not? She likes your work. Creative people need to help one another. Like when I write songs for people."

"What are your weekend plans?"

"Work on the tour, then Sunday I'll join your family at church..."

Grace gets the giggles.

"What's so funny about me going to church? Because I sing about sex, I can't have a spiritual side?" Prince asks.

"No, I suppose you can." she replies.

"Don't feel like you have to go to church to make my family happy. I don't go." I insist.

"Penelope, I want to go. Yeah, I get some funny looks, but it's peaceful time with your family. "

The three of us talk for a while. "So, you got PRINCE going to church?" asks Grace.

"I'm not sure. Suddenly he's all ,'We're going to church.' Never mind that we live in sin, his music is sexual and I photograph nearly naked people. "I reply

"Maybe he wants to make your folks like him."

"They already do."

"Perhaps at the end of the day Mister Shake His Ass in Front of Everyone is insecure too"

"Sometimes he is because he is a human being!"

The phone rings. It's the front desk informing us that facial appointments are waiting for us in the hotel spa. Apparently Prince has set it up. Then we spend the rest of the day touring museums and chilling out watching television.

The day we get dressed for the tribute. I'm wearing a black hooded knee length dress. Prince liked it when I showed it to him. He thought it was perfect for mourning an artist in.

 He thought it was perfect for mourning an artist in