Chapter 12: Thanksgiving

Prince narrates:

Margaret and Oscar are in town this week for Thanksgiving, staying at a hotel. Penelope's family invited me to dinner but I turned it down, saying I had work to do. Now I'm lying to the nicest family of one of my girlfriends. I'm a dick. I call the hotel and tell Margaret I did something awful and need to talk to her. Margaret sends Oscar to the movies and I come over.

"What did you do that was so bad? " asks Margaret.

The whole story comes out. "PRINCE! THAT'S THE DUMBEST THING EVER! YOU'VE GOT THIS SWEET GIRL AND YOU PULL THAT SHIT!"Margaret yells. She moves closer to me, yelling in my face. "YOU REALLY HAVEN'T CHANGED MUCH!"

Huh?"WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?" I scream.

"Don't you remember that time in New York when you were recording new demos which I paid for and you were way too flirty with the pretty girls working at the studio while I was there?"

Definitely don't remember the flirting part. Having to let Margaret pay for the demos is something I'll never forget. It felt awful-but she did it without batting an eye,knowing I'd have done the same for her.

Margaret continues,"At the time I thought we had this deep emotional connection. Your behavior that day caused me to question that even though I still loved you! Are you so insecure that when you get close to a good girl, you have to have someone else waiting in the wings so you don't feel trapped?"

"Whoa, you didn't feel the same about me? " I ask

"Even though you didn't do anything to me I put a guard up. You can't blame me.So, when are you going to grow up, quit being a "Rude Boy" and be a responsible adult? There comes a point a man's life where the women aren't as plentiful, no matter how much money he's got. And just because you're a big deal now, doesn't mean you will be tomorrow. A girl like Penelope will stand by your side. "

Harsh."How do you know? You've only met her twice." I reply

"I live in New York, have written for lots of big magazines and met many types of people as a Bunny. So I've known people who aren't genuine. After awhile you learn to tell right away. "

"You held onto that job way too long"

"This isn't about me. This is about how you are risking losing someone who could be The One"

"I never imagined my future wife hanging out with bodybuilders." I say, trying to give the situation some levity.

Margaret gives me a stern look."They are people too. But we're talking about you here-why did you  run around on Penelope?"

"Well...everyone is moving forward with their lives. You of all people are engaged and you used to say marriage was 'antiquated'. Penelope's sister and her husband just had a baby. Now I wonder if Penelope is hoping I'll ask her to marry me or something and I made a bad decision because I was scared"

Margaret's face tells me she's not buying it. "Bull! You had the opportunity to cheat and you were about to take it!"

" Her family is so welcoming. Her dad is even being nicer and I don't know why. I was invited to Thanksgiving dinner but I can't eat with them. What should I do?"

"Hope Amber doesn't sell her story to the tabloids. Prince, I can't tell you what to do. You have to decide for yourself. I'm giving it to you straight because we've known each other so long. One question for you before you go: just think about this,you don't have to answer: if you saw an engagement announcement for Penelope in the newspaper how would you feel?"

Uncomfortable thinking about it. "I'll think about it." I reply nonchalantly before I leave.

Penelope narrates:

Thanksgiving Day, 1986 Prince is staying home. It's disappointing. He's been acting strange lately. There hasn't been much sex. I realize we've been busy but even then I usually get some at least once or twice a week. This year dinner is being held at Sabrina's so she can take care of Sammy easier. Oddly I'm indifferent toward Sammy. I don't hate him but I don't adore him-maybe it's cause he's Sabrina's child. Personally I think I'll come around.

I hug Dad. "Coming car shopping with me tomorrow?" I ask.

"On Black Friday? You're kidding!" he exclaims,"And why do you need a different car? Yours' runs. "

"It's also my work car. I have to take camera equipment out regularly."

"Just don't buy something too expensive"

"Did I tell you about the nice equipment Nikon sent after the photo shoot?"

"No, that's awesome! We're all so proud of you... "

Sabrina walks into the room with Sammy. Everyone, including Dad rushes over. Throughout dinner I'm expecting Mom to say things such as "Are you sure you're eating enough, baby? Is Prince treating you well? You'd better not be working too hard." But she says none of it. Her focus is on Sabrina and Sammy. Wonder if I'll get a chance to talk to her or Aunt Sophie about Prince's behavior. Prince is on my mind so much that I cannot eat much. No one notices.I feel lonely in this room full of people. 

Sammy fusses until Sabrina gives him a bottle. Mom gives her some advice. It's strange to me to not be getting more attention, even though what I got was that over protecting type. Of course Sammy will be fussed over, that's life.

Aunt Sophie gets up to bring in the pies. There's  three different pies, none of which I am hungry for. "Aunt Sophie, I've got a problem." I say.

"Honey, can it wait? You know everyone is waiting for the pie." Aunt Sophie replies. Perhaps people think that I've got my shit together and can solve my own issues. Too bad that's not reality.

Normally, I'm treated like a basket case and my family would stop everything and try to help me with my fucked up problems.

Dinner goes without much to do with me. Well I got to take Sammy's picture a few times.

When it's time for dinner to end, I help pick things up, along with everyone else. "Penny, here's some pie for Prince. Tell him I made the pumpkin one."Aunt Sophie says handing me a container with three pieces of pie. "Too bad he couldn't show up. I got to get to bed and be behind the makeup counter early tomorrow. Black Friday is the only thing I hate about my job at Macy's"

At home, I present Prince with his pie. There's a fleeting moment of sadness on his face. A weak kiss on my cheek and he goes back into the studio. I go to bed, feeling a bit unloved by everyone. What the Hell is Prince's problem? I'm starting to turn a  profit with my business and I'm better looking since we met. And I'm a spokesmodel who has never used him. What more could he want?

At least I can look forward to car shopping tomorrow. 

Were you expecting Margaret to confront Prince like that?

Think Penelope will eventually adore Sammy?

 Is there going to be a fight between Prince and Penelope?