Chapter Thirty Six

Kasumi Aika's POV

"AIKA-CHANNNNN!!!!" I heard Rio yelling out for me from my front door, pounding the door like crazy.

"Hmm?" I opened the door to see a sweaty Rio.

"Tomorrow's... that... day!" She panted.

"What day do you mean by?"

"VALENTINE'S DAY!" She yelled.

"...Come again?"

"Ugh... you're a superhuman genius, but you have no clue when it comes to romance... let me in first." She sighed. And so I did. She went straight to the kitchen, and put her bag on the counter. "Valentine's day is the day when you gals like us give chocolates to guys. There are two types of chocolates: Giri-choco, and Honmei-choco. Giri-choco is meant to be for friends, colleagues, bosses, and close male friends. Giri means obligation hence this Giri-choco has no romance involved. On the other hand, Honmei-choco is given to a boyfriend, lover, or husband with true love."

"...So, you're here to make chocolate?" I summarized. She nodded, grinning. "No wonder there were a lot of chocolates selling in the stores... why don't we buy them-"

"NO NO NO NO. We have to make them. If we just buy them off, it won't be true love!"

"I don't have any true love to give...(-∧-;)"

"Don't lie~ I know you're interested in him." She teased. "The way you look at him makes it clear you do."

"I-I am not interested in Karma!" I defended. Rio raised her eyebrow.

"Oho? I was pretty sure I didn't specify who~" She smirked. My face burned in embarrassment. Did I really just fall for that?

"Sh-Shut up Rio-san!" I stuttered, covering my face by looking away

"Ohoho~ totally caught you. Now you're definitely helping me." She smirked.

"Then who are you making your Honmei chocolates for, Rio-san?"

"You'll see~ it's a surprise. I just hope he won't turn me down, though."

"I'm sure he won't! Jya... ganbatte for us single girls."

"Oho~ so you are admitting you like him!"

"Shut up! Let's just start making chocolates- wait. Does it have to be chocolates?"

Rio hummed on that. "Not really. I think that any type of gift would work, but it's usually chocolate or cakes."

"Hmm..." A plan suddenly came up. "I think I know what I'll make."

~~~~~

"Alice..." I sighed as I stared at the batch I've made. Rio already left.

"Yeah?" She looked up from inhaling the leftover sweets Rio and I made.

"After some thinking, I don't know if I should give this now." I looked hesitantly at the treats. Alice popped a leftover sweet into her mouth, then gave me a pouty look.

"You worked hard on those! You made them so special!" She said.

"That's true, but... I'm an assassin. I shouldn't do something like this. But... I just don't know why, but I couldn't help but do it. I'm... afraid. How do you love someone without getting hurt? Without crawling in the dirt? I don't want to get hurt, and I don't want to hurt him either. Getting involved with an assassin is the worst thing." I leaned my head against the wall. "Warsan Shire once said... 'Loving you was like going to a war; I never came back the same.' I don't want that to happen to him... even mutual feelings could kill him."