Chapter 5

The silence was as awkward as the angel and demon would allow it to feel. The tension from Kaiden was overwhelming. His glare was dark and full of a powerful bitterness that kept Milokan rigid, fearing to move. Their gaze often shifted to one another but the angel did the best he could to stare at the ground. He felt his soul being heavily judged when the demon tried to examine it.

The humans have been keeping a close attention towards the supernatural beings and the time that they were being held in such a tiny room. So far, it had been three hours and forty-two minutes. They were surprised that the demon had not tried harder to rescue himself from his chains. Also, he had made no attempt to injure the angel which also needed to be heavily observed.

Kaiden moved his boot and smirked when the angel jumped.

"Nobody is missing you in heaven." His deep voice echoed around the room. Even though it was quiet, the staleness within his tone sent shivers down Milokan's arms.

He swallowed his sorrow, acknowledging the truth within his words.

"Nobody is missing you in Hell."

"Now, that is where you're wrong. Lucifer can't cope without his best soul-catcher." Milokan wasn't sure if he detected sarcasm in his voice, yet, he had a feeling that the Devil might not be the demons favourite person. "And my mother. She will feel his wrath if I don't return home."

The angel frowned and narrowed his eyes.

"I don't know much about Hell, but I know their rule about keeping children is the same as heaven-"

"Shut up," Kaiden spat and clenched his fists, "You know nothing."

The angel linked his fingers together, holding his knees against his chest.

"I know enough." He sighed sadly, wanting to stretch his wings but didn't dare to risk it. "How did you find your mother?"

Now, it was the demons turn to keep his eyes on the ground. He could feel the angel trying to look into his soul, searching for any soft spot he had to offer. He wasn't prepared to let anyone find his weaknesses. He wasn't sure he even knew them himself, yet, he understood that everyone has them. There is no such thing as the perfect person.

This is another thing about himself that raises suspicion. He shouldn't be able to think that way.

"What is she like?" Milokan tried to keep his voice soft and calm. He wanted to get inside the demon's head.

"She's different," Kaiden found himself speaking aloud.

"How?"

"She doesn't like torture."

"How wonderful," Milokan's mocking tone earned him a kick against his shin. The demon could barely reach so it wasn't enough to express a whimper.

"How dare you be patronising towards me."

"And there it is," The angel took his gaze to a deep crack on the wall next to the demon's head. "You express a mellow side to your demon traits, yet you never show it enough for me to really see you."

"That kind of talk is the reason I hate you."

"That kind of closed mind is the reason I hate you." The angel allowed his green eyes to stare into his glistening amber ones, challenging him. "Your feelings exist. It is very bad for you to neglect them."

"Why? Nobody cares-"

"Maybe not other demons." Milokan cocked his head to the side and Kaiden diverted his gaze. A sudden flutter discretely alarmed his senses. "But I'm sure your mother cares."