Chapter 46

Kaiden barely noticed Milokan when he sat up, rubbing his throbbing head. The demon's eyes glued to his reflection. Was his mind playing tricks on him? He is a demon; they do not possess wings, no demon has ever had wings.

"Do you see that?" he whispered.

Milokan turned and looked at him in the mirror.

"Yes," he said, turning again to face him, "I do not think it is possible not to see them." His eyes traced the gold feathers, each twinkling bright against the light of the bathroom.

Kaiden suddenly spun like a dog catching his tail, seeing the feathers behind him and feeling them heavy against his back. A big wall of denial surfaced, he didn't want them. His soulmate watched with horror as Kaiden reached behind him and started yanking the bottom of his left wing.

"Stop! You'll hurt yourself!"

"Get them off!" Kaiden growled. "They're uncomfortable!" He pulled a few feathers out and stared at them in disbelief, sitting elegantly on his hand. "They're not my wings."

Milokan picked up a feather and stared at it with wonder.

"They shimmer," he breathed with a huge smile, but it dropped when Kaiden's stare pierced him. Slowly, the angel took the feathers and placed them back into their rightful place. "They are beautiful."

"They're not mine," Kaiden shook his head. "They're not mine."

Milokan gripped the demon's cheeks, gently squeezing the skin in between his fingers so Kaiden couldn't look away.

"Do you not understand? Your father is an angel, it kind of makes sense for you to have wings."

"Why now?" Kaiden whispered. "Why are they here now?"

Milokan didn't have the answers, and he didn't want to try to respond to his questions.

"Close your eyes," he whispered and softly pressed their foreheads together.

"Why-"

"Just do it," he demanded, and Kaiden closed his eyes. Milokan's warm breath against his lips calmed him down. "Now settle your body. You feel tense. Steady your breathing and only focus on me." Kaiden did as he said, and the angel felt his head lean against his in return.

After a few moments of controlled breathing, the heaviness on Kaiden's back disappeared, and he dared to open his eyes. Without removing his head from Milokan's, he glanced into the mirror, and his muscles relaxed when the wings were gone. He sighed with a frown.

"I don't want wings."

"Why not? Wings are great!" Milokan smiled. "But I am shocked that you have them too."

"I'm really confused." Kaiden climbed to his feet. "Why the hell are they gold? I look like a damn disco ball."

"What is a disco ball?" the angel questioned.

Kaiden grabbed his arm and started pulling him through the room. He didn't stop until he sensed Panuleon in the room opposite theirs. He didn't bother knocking and stormed in, looking furious.

"You," he growled at Luka and stormed over. Rayvon blocked the demon by resting a firm hand on his chest.

"Don't get any closer," Rayvon spoke, instantly feeling his soulmates fear. Luka is timid; he didn't need an angry demon in his face.

Everyone was in Panuleon and Corey's bedroom, even Corey's parents who they haven't met yet. The conversation was apparently about Milokan and Kaiden because it dropped to silence as soon as he barged in.