Chapter 42

"You have been staring at a statue of a naked woman for twenty-five minutes, I'm not sure if I should be jealous or concerned," Kaiden said and nudged his soulmate.

Milokan looked at him for a moment.

"I am not attracted to the female body."

Kaiden could only express a slow blink.

"I'm aware of that." He leant closer, feeling the grass squish underneath his fingers as he put weight through his arm. "I can't wait until you understand jokes." While the sun had been setting, Kaiden dedicated his entire existence to cheering Milokan up. It consisted of constant topic changes, wanting the angel to think about his past in a lighter mood.

"So, you are making jokes now? We are finally getting comfortable with each other- OH!"

Kaiden widened his eyes when Milokan gasped and grabbed his t-shirt, slapping him in the chest with no warning.

"What?"

"A cat!" Milokan climbed to his feet and ran over. The black cat stopped licking its paw and stared at him with eyes as shiny as a coin. "She is beautiful!"

"How do you know it's a girl?" Kaiden asked. He should have known animals would cheer him up the most.

"I just do." Milokan sat and stroked its silky fur. The cat purred and flopped onto its side, and the angel rubbed its belly. "What is your name?"

"Orin."

Milokan looked up to see Rayvon standing by the door with crossed arms and a hard stare.

"Orin," the angel repeated, "it suits her."

"It's my dad's cat," Rayvon said and his intense stare mellowed. "Luka's very wary of her, but she has a kind nature."

"I can tell," Milokan beamed, almost forgetting about the horrors of Zachariah when Orin gently played with his fingers. "How old is she?"

"I'm not sure." Rayvon glanced at Kaiden. The moon was bright, and it cast a dark shadow over half the demon's face, exposing only his scared eye. Rayvon didn't want to judge him, but at that moment, Kaiden looked a little chilling. "My dad told me to check on you."

"We are okay," Milokan said with a small smile. "We like being outside."

Rayvon nodded and stood up straight when he felt a small hand brush his arm. Luka had appeared by his side with curiosity.

"I'll leave you alone then." He turned, shutting the glass door behind him.

Milokan watched him walk over to Oliver and wrap a friendly arm around his shoulders. Oliver hugged his son and ruffled his hair. Rayvon scowled and dodged him, falling victim to Vinny's hands messing up his hair too.

"When would you like to meet him?"

The angel turned away from the happy family.

"Who?"

"Zachariah."

"Oh, I am not sure. Maybe tomorrow because I need a night to think about my past."

Kaiden's eyes diverted away, staring into the darkness of the field. He shifted uncomfortably and ran a hand through his hair.

"I'm not great company, and I probably can't help you at all, but if you need to get stuff out then say it because I will listen."

Milokan crawled over to him when Orin wandered away, looking for other entertainment. The angel sat beside him and nestled his body against his. The demon had stopped feeling his pride when Milokan did that to him. There was nobody here judging his relationship with the angel, and he didn't hate angels anymore. How could he? His own father is the species he used to loathe.