Chapter 29

Kaiden wore his heart on his sleeve and exposed his true feelings for his soulmate. Somehow, he understood that Milokan wouldn't judge him, which is why he broke down and cried on his shoulder. The angel made sure to hold him tightly as he gently stroked his bare back. Even though they were close, he ached and couldn't force his frown to leave. The demon was upset, and the angel couldn't feel anything other than his sorrow.

The entire time Kaiden cried, Milokan stayed silent so the demon could let his tears flow for as long as he needed. Meanwhile, the angel thought about Jeronah, and the appalling secret him and Meloras were keeping from their child. It now made sense to Milokan about why he thought Meloras knew the angel. They are soulmates.

Kaiden lifted his head, sniffling with sadness. His eyes were red and puffy, his face stained with tears. He wiped them with trembling hands as the angel sat, still and patient.

"Thank you," whispered Kaiden, "for letting me get that out of my system."

"Sometimes, all the body needs is a good cry."

Kaiden inhaled a big breath and released it slowly, allowing his mind to re-start.

"HE'S YOUR FATHER!"

He frowned and shook his head. All he could hear was his mother's cries. Milokan watched him grit his teeth.

"I don't believe her," The demon's eyes were getting darker. "How can I?"

"She has a lot of explaining to do." Milokan subconsciously rubbed Kaiden's arms and no fear was present. He no longer feared his anger. "Remember, she would have kept it from you for a reason."

"And what reason would that be?" Kaiden looked so miserable; he could barely feel angry.

"Not hurting you? I am not sure. The best decision is to listen to her." Milokan lifted his hands and rubbed his thumbs against Kaiden's stubble, also eager to hear what Meloras had to say. He had ideas of his own but didn't want to discuss it with his soulmate. It would be too insensitive. "Are you feeling calmer now?"

Kaiden shrugged, feeling a little embarrassed about the tears he still had on his face. He could barely believe he cried, and it was not just a few tears, he poured his sorrow all over his soulmates shoulder.

"You can open up to me Kaiden. I will always listen and-"

"Enough of the soppy stuff now," Kaiden breathed. His red cheeks expressed his humiliation. "I cried, it's no big deal."

The angel nodded, tolerating how reserved the demon is with his feelings.

"Well, the reason as to why you are so upset is why you cried."

"Do you always have to point out the obvious?" Kaiden muttered and rubbed his face. "It was just a shock."

Milokan stood up when his glare came back to his face.

"I think-"

"I don't care what you think."

Milokan crossed his arms as Kaiden climbed to his feet with a heavy heart. It was getting harder to snap at his soulmate.

"Sorry," he mumbled and awkwardly patted the angel's arm. "I just... I don't know what to do." He could barely even think about Jeronah without wanting to punch him unconscious. How can a stranger claim to be his father? He wondered if his mother was lying to cover up something else, but she yelled it with frustration and Meloras would never do that unless it was desperate to come out. Deep down, Kaiden knew she couldn't be lying; he just didn't want to believe it.

"Maybe, go back to your mother and listen to what she has to say?" The angel didn't want to force him; he only encouraged him with rational ideas.

"I don't want to talk right now."