Chapter 16

The priestess stared at Milokan, looking horrified that such a question would come from an angel. She removed a hand from his shoulder and placed it on her chest as though the simple mention of hell disturbed her.

"My dear boy, why are you looking for the underworld?" Asked the priestess, her voice as frail as her bones.

"Well, I am in quite a difficult situation." It was only then that the woman saw the pain in his eyes. "I need to find someone who will one day be very special to me."

"Whoever it is, they surely cannot be special enough for an angel if they are in hell?"

"That is their home." Milokan lowered his head. The sorrow was tugging on his chest. "We cannot choose who we fall in love with."

The priestess then heard the pain in his voice. Her shaky hand reached forwards and gently cupped his chin.

"You hold a great secret. What is it?"

Milokan shifted on his feet. A small part of him felt ashamed to be connected to Kaiden. It was no one's fault, and neither of them was to blame. He just wished it wasn't as someone as cruel as him.

"I have recently found my soulmate. It is not who I expected, and he is not very-"

"He?" The priestess interrupted. A deep frown furrowed her forehead, and Milokan looked confused.

"Yes, my soulmate is another man." He spoke it confidently enough to startle the woman.

"That cannot be, it is a sin!"

Milokan took a step back, allowing her hands to fall from his shoulders. He frowned too, yet this was a warning to the human, showing her he was more powerful.

"Opinions are merely opinions. Humans I hear are very good at convincing others that their views are facts. A sin you say? I cannot remember ever getting told that love is a sin. I happen to think that being bonded to a demon is a more significant problem than being bonded to a male, who I happen to find more appealing than females. That is just who I am, not what I choose." Milokan felt the pride within him rise to the surface. In this day and age, it is okay to be himself, and anyone who questioned him about it will get ruled out of his life. He has no time for shallow thinkers.

"A-A demon?" She breathed, and Milokan sighed.

"I must leave now. I understand that my visit was an educational one on your behalf. I have found your one exact fault. Your soul is very pure, but you cannot love people more than others only because they do not meet your standards of the perfect human being. Love everyone. That is what your Lord wants." Milokan turned and walked between the benches, feeling her eyes staring at his wings. He put them away before pushing the grand wooden door open and entering the fresh countryside air.

So far, discovering hell was much harder than he thought it would be. However, if Kaiden was able to see it from the field he had left, then maybe it was in that spot. Also, he did say for them to meet back there if they were to find one another again. The angel didn't think the demon would be willing to see him. He thought he would push through the pain of separation because he must be used to feeling that way.

What else could he try? Maybe this was his fate, to wait. An angel in hell is destined to fail. He would surely get killed before he has the opportunity to open his mouth.

The young angel made his long hike back to the field with a heavy heart. His mind glued to Kaiden. If he ended up dying alone with no one to truly love, his soul would plummet to an extreme state of depression. Being so close to sharing the affection with someone then having it ripped away really did break him. He was trying to stay together and remain positive.