Chapter 19

"Your incompetence makes me sick!" Four demons knelt on the floorboards, in front of the devil's throne. Lucifer sat rather uncomfortably; his body was jittery and tense. "How difficult is it to grab Meloras and bring her back?"

"Master," a demon trembled with dry blood on his face, "she can fight very well."

Lucifer bellowed a laugh, and the demons lowered their heads in shame.

"Was Kaiden with her?"

"Yes."

"Did-"

"So was an angel!" cried the demon, cringing at the thought of interrupting Lucifer, but he might want to know what they saw. Their master's crazed eyes glared with extreme intensity.

"An angel? The one who was looking for hell?"

"I assume so, master. I grabbed him and was ready to kill, but Kaiden stopped me." An eerie silence flooded the hall.

"He stopped you?"

"Yes. Kaiden looked horrified that I hurt the angel, and he treated him like he cared."

"The angel?"

All the demons nodded with desperation.

Lucifer tapped his chin with a frown so evil it would make the strongest of demons crumble.

"Kaiden, my soul-catcher stopped you from killing an angel?"

They nodded once more.

"Why?"

"We do not know Master." the demon's voice sounded frail.

Lucifer moved in his chair. He didn't like what he was hearing. Kaiden had smelt like an angel when he last saw him. Was it possible that he had connected- no. He didn't want to think it.

"I suggest you go and find out, except you." He stood up and flashed his yellow teeth, a patronising smile gleamed with pride. He stared at the demon with a broken leg, the promise of torture lingered in the air. "If the rest of you come back without the angel's soul, I will kill all of you."

* * * * *

Kaiden could feel Milokan's eyelashes against his neck. The demon stayed as still as a statue while Milokan yawned and looked around. He lifted his head and saw Meloras lying on the ground, watching the stars. She appeared to have been there for a while, and he had slept for the entire time, but he was comfortable, which is not what a woodland floor could usually offer.

He looked down, and that is when he felt someone holding him. He sat on ripped black jeans, which could only belong to Kaiden. His heart skipped a beat as he glanced up, expecting a deep scowl. But to his surprise, the demon was calm and rested. His expression was a little embarrassed; they were too close for his liking.

"Was I resting long?" asked Milokan. He wasn't ready to move, so he made no effort to do so.

"An hour, maybe." Kaiden wasn't sure if he should push the angel away. Now that he is awake, they have no valid reason to be close. Being soulmates gives them that excuse, but the demon is still trying to get used to it.

"Thank you. I would still be sore if I slept on the leaves." Milokan sat up when Kaiden clenched his jaw.

"You were so reckless when you followed us. You can't fight demons. Why did you even try?" Kaiden's arms fell to his side, but Milokan didn't move.

"I am not a coward-"

"But you're clumsy and stupid. You could have stayed out of the way and let us handle it."