Chapter 12

Kaiden knocked on the dark metal of the gates of hell. He was stood in darkness, so black that it made him shiver. His heart felt heavy, and he was in a terrible mood. If any demon tried to cross his path, he would not hold back his anger. He also hoped that nobody looked at him differently. If they did, he would worry they could sense his new secret.

He heard the familiar clicking of the clogs inside the metal, working away to open such a large door. What awaited him on the other side was something he would rather not dwell on. The devil will, and most likely is, furious with him; he was prepared to be tortured.

When the door opened, he slipped through and was faced with the man who remained in charge of operating the gates.

"Well, look who finally made an appearance," He muttered, his beard still looked unwashed. "Have anything for the master?"

"I do." Kaiden clenched his jaw. His heart was beating so fast, he could almost see it through his black denim jacket.

"An angel soul- no, a human soul? It smells sinful."

"It is." Kaiden was the king of small-talk in hell.

"Right, get lost, I have a job to do." That was the gatekeepers way of saying that he is thankful Kaiden returned, the devil had been breathing down his neck with constant questions about whether he has seen the young demon, loitering nearby.

Kaiden looked around. Hell oddly felt strange to him, he wasn't settling into the atmosphere as well as he thought he would. The fact that half of his soul was shared with an angel might have something to do with it.

He ignored everyone while he swiftly walked up the steps of the grand mansion, filled with demons who were thankful to see him, yet they were worried about what will happen to him. The devil will not kill his best soul catcher, but Kaiden didn't get the scar on his face for nothing.

The walk towards the hall felt longer than a few minutes. His eyes traced the mud on the ground, and he dug his hands into his pockets to stop himself from fidgeting. The last thing he needed was to look nervous.

When he rested a cold hand on the thick wood, he took a breath and entered, unclear on his fate.

The voice of Milokan talking about fate circled in his head, and he had to grit his teeth to stop him from losing concentration. His voice was so angelic and soft, he could listen to it all day.

The demon very nearly kicked a metal gargoyle after realising his thoughts. He had to stay focused enough to pull the arrogant cloth over his eyes. His task was to trick everyone around him that he felt okay and half of his soul wasn't floating around in an air-head angel who was most likely stuck on earth, alone, scared, and hurting.

Kaiden shook his head and clenched his fists. The more he tried to forget the angel, the stronger the memories of their short encounter forced their way across his vision.

Lucifer was talking to Kaiden's mother before his hesitant footsteps could be heard echoing against the floorboards. He made sure to stare at the ground, knowing his mother's relief and the devil's immense glare would wobble his stability.

Their conversation stopped quite abruptly, Kaiden could tell his master was staring him down, both livid and thankful that he had returned. He heard the squeak of his throne and lifted his head, glancing in his direction to show he was not ashamed and returning late was not his fault.

However, he unmistakably caught his mothers gaze, and his mouth curled down but only for a second. It was enough for her to tell he was hiding something dangerous, something that would have him killed and he was nervous about it.