Chapter 55

Sorry that this took so long, I had a busy week! Thanks for being patient ;)

- Sian

"It is boring when everyone sleeps at night," Milokan sighed while he and Kaiden walked silently through the halls of the Vanderwood mansion.

"Yeah, it's weird when it's quiet," Kaiden mumbled. The corridors were usually lively, noisy, and full of stressed staff completing tasks to keep such a large building clean and tidy. They kept the colour of the red carpet vibrant, washed the many mirrors hanging on the tall walls, reflecting the light of the chandeliers into every corner. Ornaments needed dusting; food cooked, bedding changed, clothes washed, fires lit, mainly when the nights were cold like tonight.

The young demon found himself distracted by the pulsing affection in his chest. He glanced at Milokan, but the angel ignored it. Kaiden wondered if he felt nervous or distracted by the emptiness and cold feeling of the place they are supposed to call home.

"It is peaceful," Milokan said.

"It's lonely."

After reaching the second floor, Milokan stopped and took Kaiden's hand in his. The demon's skin was icy, but now it felt soothing, and he didn't get a chilling shiver down his spine.

"I do feel the affection, and I am aware that you feel it too. You watch my mouth when I talk."

Kaiden chuckled deeply. It wasn't hearty or joyful but entertained nonetheless.

"And why's that?" he spoke and gently pulled him down the corridor, ignoring the portraits that watched with their following eyes, especially the one of Duke and Madison. The couple was fearsome and only in the painting could Kaiden feel their dominance.

"Because you want to kiss my mouth, so you stare at it when the affection feels strong."

"Hm," Kaiden stopped outside of their bedroom door, "I would say you're correct, but I stare at your mouth anyway because I always feel the affection."

"I always feel it too," Milokan smiled, but Kaiden stepped closer, pushing his back against the wood.

"Recently, it is getting harder to be away from you." Kaiden glanced at Jed who was sitting alone at the end of the corridor. John had gone to bed, leaving the angel to guard the rooms like he has done for the past twenty thousand years. The demon opened the door and entered with Milokan still in front of him. He had an odd feeling at the bottom of his heart that the bond wasn't set, and it would tighten when they grow intimate.

"Because you like me now," the angel spoke.

Kaiden shut the door and locked it. Milokan was forced to walk backwards until the bed hit his thighs and he fell on his back, landing on the soft duvet. Kaiden hovered over him with eyes so gentle, Milokan had never put so much faith into something so unimportant.

"I suppose," Kaiden said and rested his hands next to his shoulders, leaning down until the angel felt his breath against him. "Maybe just a little."

The affection was tugging them closer and closer. Kaiden wanted the angel's eyes never to leave his own. He wanted all of Milokan's attention until his heart felt warm and his chest was light.

"Your eyes change when they look at me. You are getting gentle for only me, and I like that." Milokan lifted a hand, tracing his fingers against his soulmates chin. His stubble prickled his skin as he grew accustomed to his rugged features.

"You know that I like our affection to be private. Only you deserve to see this side of me." The affection was too much, Kaiden could feel it softening his demon characteristics. It was melting away, leaving him raw and vulnerable.